Anthony Raven is the firm’s Tokyo office Managing Partner and co-leader of the firm’s Tokyo Energy & Infrastructure Projects practice. Anthony has 19 years' experience working in London and Tokyo advising multinational and Japanese companies on the development and project financing of major projects around the world including LNG, chemicals, petrochemicals, refining, and power, and in a range of upstream energy work including acquisitions and disposals, JOAs, farmout agreements, PSCs and concession agreements, as well as midstream, including pipelines and gas and LNG sales and purchase agreements.
Anthony also advises on disputes, regulatory and sanctions issues in the energy industry, as well as on the UK Bribery Act and the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, on government investigations, issues around compliance, bribery and corruption, and on crisis management where he assists Japanese and multinational companies facing catastrophic financial and reputational loss or other losses associated with any type of crisis event.
Anthony has worked for 1 year on secondment to the Energy Team in the Legal Department of Mitsubishi Corporation and 2 years on secondment to the Legal Department of Mitsui & Co., Ltd.
Anthony is listed as a leading lawyer in all the major legal directories, and praised by clients for his:
- "depth of experience on complex, cross-border matters and his pragmatic, commercial approach" (Legal 500 2014); and as
- "the real deal for oil and gas work” (Legal 500 2015).
Anthony is an English law qualified solicitor and registered as a Foreign Admitted Lawyer (gaikokuho jimu bengoshi) in Japan.
- Chambers Global, Asia-Pacific Region, Projects & Infrastructure (2015)
- Chambers Global, Japan, Projects & Energy: International Firms (2015)
- Chambers Asia-Pacific, Projects & Energy – Japan (2017)
- Legal 500 Asia-Pacific, Leading Lawyer in Projects & Energy (2015)
International Association of Petroleum Negotiators
International Project Finance Association
First Class Honours