Latin America Brochure
P3 Update for California High-Speed Rail – Authority Issues Request for Expressions of Interest
Cross Border Pipeline Finance Structures
Pillsbury Advises Tesoro in $2.5 Billion Acquisition of BP Refinery and 800 Gas Stations in the West
2010 Best of the Best USA
Middle-Market M&A Award Finalist
Robert J. Spjut
Mr. Spjut is a partner in the law firm's Finance practice and is located in the San Francisco office. He focuses on corporate, asset-based and project financings and commercial transactions. He has substantial international, as well as domestic, transactional experience.
He was a resident partner in the firm's Hong Kong office in 1994-1995 and co-chair of the California State Bar's Business Law Section Uniform Commercial Code Committee in 2002-2005. He has written widely on commercial law.
Before joining the firm in 1988, Mr. Spjut taught law in Belfast, Northern Ireland (1972-1974), Khartoum, Sudan (1975), Canterbury, England (1975-1988), San Diego, California (1977-1978) and Miami, Florida (1985-1986).
- 2011: $120 million first lien secured term loan and $20 million revolving facilities arranged by GE Capital and $65 million second lien loan by GE Capital for healthcare company
- 2010: $5 billion bilateral revolving credit facilities with more than 30 banks for major international oil company
- 2010: $15 million term loan and $15 million revolving credit facility for software design company from Wells Fargo Capital Finance
- 2010: $100 million senior secured term loan and $25 million revolving facilities arranged by GE Capital and $25 million second lien loan by Silverpoint for healthcare company
- 2009; $70 million revolving asset-based revolving facility for certain subsidiaries of building products company arranged by Bank of America, N.A.
- 2008: $250 secured revolving credit for timberlands REIT arranged by Bank of America, N.A
- 2008: $125 million asset based revolving facility for pulp and paper company arranged by Bank of America, N.A.
- 2009: $10 million term loan and $7 million revolving facility for software company from Silicon Valley Bank
- 2008: Represented sponsor in $2.25 billion loan and guaranty facilities (from International Finance Corporation, Inter-American Development Bank, United States Import-Export Bank, Korea Import-Export Bank and Servizi Assicurativi del Commercio Estero) for Peru LNG, S.R.L., a liquefied natural gas producer in Peru
- 2008: Represented U.S. based biodiesel producer and distributor in a $28 million revolving credit facility
- 2008: Represented two U.S. based information technology consulting companies in two separate financings: $54.5 million secured term and revolving facilities and a $7 million revolving credit facility, respectively
- 2007: Represented three U.S. based international investment funds in three separate revolving credit facilities aggregating to $79 million
- 2007: Represented two U.S. based technology products wholesale distributors in two separate revolving credit facilities: $50 million and $800,000, respectively
- 2007: Represented U.S. vision insurance company in.$25 million secured recapitalization financing
- 2006: Represented U.S. based international semiconductor company in $400 million secured leveraged acquisition financing
- 2006: Represented sponsor and project company in $76.4 million first and second lien financing for ethanol project located in North Dakota
- 2006: Represented sponsor and borrower in €50 million acquisition and expansion financing of hydrogen peroxide plant in South Korea.
- 2006: Represented lender and investor in $850,000 loan to startup investment fund company
- 2005: Represented U.S. timber and paper products company in $175 million revolving facility
- 2005: Represented lender in $6.5 million project loan for geothermal power plant in Indonesia
- 2004: Represented lender in $20 million advance oil sale credit facility to Peruvian oil company
- 2004: Represented sponsor in $4.1 billion senior secured note offering by oil production joint venture in Kazakhstan
- 2004: Represented U.S. energy and construction business in $790 million first and second lien financing for leveraged acquisition of construction materials business located in the U.S.
- 2004: Represented Philippine calling service outsourcing business in $54 million financing for leverage acquisition of business located in U.S.
- 2004: Represented borrowers in two separate multi-currency credit facilities in more than fifteen countries in Asia, Africa, New Zealand and U.S. aggregating to more than $400 million
Other Illustrative Financings
- 2002: Represented sponsor in $550 million debt restructuring of multilateral agency, export credit agency and bank facilities for Thai refinery
- 2001: Represented sponsor in $600 million loan and guaranty facilities extended to oil export pipeline companies in Chad and Cameroon by International Finance Corporation, United States Import-Export Bank and Compagnie Française d'Assurance pour le Commerce Extérieur, $92.9 million loans by World Bank and €57.7 million loans by European Investment Bank to Chad and Cameroon governments
- Guide to the World's Leading Project Finance Lawyers, Euromoney/Legal Media Group (2010)
- Deal of the Year, Project Finance, Latin Lawyer (2008)
- Middle-Market M&A Award, Consumer and Retail Products—Finalist, M&A Advisor (2008)
- Deal of the Year, Total Terminals Deal—Recognized, Asian-Counsel (2007)