Caron Gosling is a counsel located in the law firm's London office. She is a leading employment lawyer who advises businesses and individuals on all aspects of their employment relationships in the UK. Her practice focuses on non-contentious employment law, both within the UK and on a cross-border basis. This involves covering HR issues from a liability perspective but also dealing with more practical matters, such as employee communications and ensuring that the client has the right workforce, in the right place and at the right time. She advises on employment/HR issues arising in corporate and sourcing transactions and on compensation structures in the investment management industry. Transactions often involve workforce realignment, and Ms. Gosling’s practice therefore also includes working with clients post-transaction to ensure that the workforce is the right fit for the business going forward, whether this involves redundancies, relocations, dismissals or other changes to terms and conditions of employment.
- Advising on the HR aspects of an acquisition by a global tech company of a US client with employees in the UK, France and Romania by a global tech company, working with the US lawyers on the negotiation of the deal documentation, and managing the practical aspects of the European employees, including the satisfaction of the pre-deal conditions and employee transition issues (dismissals and re-engagement on new terms and conditions).
- Employment lead for a telecoms JV on a number of complex first and second generation sourcings, working closely with the sourcing lead and the client team, preparing the employment provisions, negotiating with competitive bidders, and advising on more generally on liability and risk.
- Review of the marketing function of a large UK based retailer with a view to achieving efficiencies in terms of restructuring the employment arrangements and moving to a third party manager of the function: this involved advice on the potentially significant employment liabilities uncovered as well as advice on how best to achieve the restructuring whilst minimizing risk exposure.
- Advising a pharmaceuticals company on its acquisition of a competitor, with employees in UK, France and Germany; and subsequently working with the client’s HR and Finance teams to realign the workforce, involving relocations, transfers of employment under the TUPE Regulations, changes to terms and conditions and a number of redundancy dismissals.
- Working with a large national retailer to restructure its business into independent business divisions in preparation for sale, advising on the implications of the TUPE Regulations, redundancies, changes in roles and managing the transitional process.