Catherine Meyer is a senior counsel with the law firm after having been a partner with the firm for 20 years. She is located in the Los Angeles office. Her practice is a blend of finance and privacy regulation and compliance.
She has represented clients in many sectors, including banks, factors, manufacturers, distributors and contractors. She has protected her clients' interests in a wide variety of industries including manufacturing, travel, retail (on and off line), import/export, restaurants, record labels, casinos, hotels, clothing, medical services, shopping centers and technology. Her clients range from individuals, to local businesses, to international companies.
Ms. Meyer spends a considerable portion of her practice advising financial institutions and other companies in the privacy area including rights to financial privacy and protection of customer's privacy rights under state, federal and international statutes and regulations, and assisting when personal information is compromised or threatened. She regularly counsels clients in compliance with regulations affecting the collection, use, sale, transfer and sharing of customer information and the restrictions on such activities in a commercial setting. She assists with marketing issues such as unsolicited commercial e-mail, fax and telephone communications, marketing to children, and issues specific to credit card and check transactions for retailers. Clients call upon her for assistance in data security breach situations to respond appropriately, whether it involves a handful or millions of affected data subjects. Ms. Meyer has also assisted clients in complying with international privacy directives when dealing with customer or employee information on a global scale, including qualifying clients for inclusion under the U.S. Department of Commerce Safe Harbor.
Ms. Meyer served for several years as co-chair of the Business Department of the Los Angeles Office and of the firmwide Privacy & Data Protection practice team. She has previously chaired the Commerce, Technology & Licensing practice section and the Insolvency & Restructuring practice section. She sits on the Board of Editors of the Privacy & Data Security Law Journal (an A.S. Pratt & Sons Publication) and the Privacy & Data Security Review (Sheshunoff Information Services). She is a frequent speaker on data protection and privacy issues.
Insolvency & Restructuring
Ms. Meyer began her practice in the financial sector, representing lenders in secured transactions and participations and has extensive experience in protecting the rights of creditors in restructuring transactions and in bankruptcy. In UCC matters, particularly Articles 2, 3, 4 and 9, she is able to assist clients in developing procedures to protect themselves against potential losses.
- Legal 500 US, Data Protection and Privacy (2011-2015), Cyber Law (2015-2016)
American Bar Association (co-chair of the subcommittee on Extraterritorial Application of Law for the Committee on International Law, 1986), Los Angeles County Bar Association (Bankruptcy Committee of the Commercial Law Bankruptcy section, 1990-91)
- Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman Annual MCLE Marathon, Los Angeles, San Diego; “How to Fail in the Internet of Things;” January 2017
- Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman Privacy Webinar Series; “The Good, the Bad and the Ugly: Privacy and Legal Implications of Internet of Things for Businesses;” July 2014
- Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman Privacy Webinar Series; “How Consumers and Retail Businesses Can Prepare for the Next Data Breach;” April 2014
- Cybersecurity Law & Policy In-House Summit, Washington, DC; “Active Defense – Private Sector Deterrence and Protection Strategies;” January 2014
- Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman Privacy Webinar Series; “Cybersecurity Issues Related to Global Records Management and E-Discovery;” October 2013
- Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman Privacy Webinar Series; “Cybersecurity Overview;” September 2013
- Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman Privacy Webinar Series; “Cybersecurity: A U.S. Regulatory and Litigation Update;” June 2013
- Office of Chief Information Officers, San Francisco, CA; “Recent developments in Cyber Security Law;” February 2013
- Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman Annual MCLE Marathon, Los Angeles, San Diego; “The Perfect Storm: Are You Ready for Changes in the US and EU Data Laws?;” January 2013
- IAPP Annual Academy, San Jose, CA; “Key Data Breach Mistakes and How You Can Overcome Them;” October 2012
- Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman Privacy Webinar Series; “Emerging Legal Trends in Cyber Insurance;” October 2012
- American Conference Institute Conference on the Pricy and Security of Consumer and Employee Information; San Francisco, CA; “How to Incorporate New and Anticipated Regulatory and Enforcement Initiatives Into Your Privacy and Compliance Programs;” July 2012
- Knowledge Congress Webcast Series; Data Privacy “Emerging Issues: a 2012 Update;” July 2012
- National Association of Public Pension Attorneys 2012 Conference, Philadelphia, PS ; “Member Information and Confidentiality;” June 2012
- Alcohol Beverage Law & Technology Conference, San Francisco, CA; “Data Security and Privacy In the Electronic Age, May 2012”
- 16th Annual UCLA Extension Restaurant Industry Conference, Los Angeles, CA; “The Newest Frontier: Engaging your Guests through Mobile Strategies;” April 2012
- The Security Confab, La Jolla, CA; “Deadbolts are Dead: Legal Implications of Security in a Wireless Cloud Environment” April 2012
- Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman Privacy Webinar Series; “Help! I Have a Data Security Breach;” January 2012
- Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman Annual MCLE Marathon, Los Angeles, Palo Alto, San Diego, San Francisco; "Emerging Legal Trends in Cyber Insurance," January 2012
- Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman Workshop, Washington, D.C.; "What If? Crisis Management: Scenarios + Solutions," October 2011
- Food Service Social Media Universe Conference, San Francisco, CA "Prepare for Takeoff: Building a Social Media Policy," September 2011
- Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman Privacy Webinar Series; “Online and Mobile Marketing: What's Legal and What's Not - A Transatlantic View;” May 2011
- Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman Privacy Webinar Series; “Understanding the Legal, Privacy and Compliance Issues of the Payment Card Industry;” January 2011
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Annual Seminar for Corporate Counsel, Temecula, CA "Keeping Ahead of Scammers and Hackers," September 2010
- California Restaurant Association Annual Meeting, Los Angeles, CA; "Implications and Best Practices for Marketing, Reputation Management and Crisis Management," August 2010
- 14th Annual UCLA Extension Restaurant Industry Conference, “Harnessing the Power of Social Media,” March 2010
- Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman Annual MCLE Marathon; “Managing the Social Networking Phenomenon: Online and Mobile Marketing,” January 2010