Mergers & Acquisitions
Justin D. Hovey
Jonathan J. Russo
"The most responsive, value-added lawyers I have ever come in contact with. The way they staff and handle transactions is always appropriate to the size of transaction. They don't waste any time or money and are the most pleasant people on the face of the earth."
- Chambers USA
Pillsbury provides responsive, comprehensive counsel on U.S. and cross-border M&A transactions. Our M&A team is supported by the resources of a full-service firm with practices covering all aspects of a transaction: antitrust, employee benefits, environment, global sourcing, finance, intellectual property, litigation, regulation and tax.
Pillsbury's M&A lawyers are recognized for their particular strength in providing counsel on deals in the technology, communications and life sciences industries and on transactions involving REITs, real estate capital markets and government contracts. We also have significant experience representing Boards of Directors and independent Board Committees, including special committees, audit committees and compensation committees in changes of control, going private transactions, shareholder disputes, internal corporate investigations of alleged misconduct, and special committee and audit committee investigations.
Complementing our transactional services, we advise on establishing and maintaining corporate compliance programs as well as internal control procedures and policies, including anti-corruption due diligence for cross-border transactions.
Our practice's independent industry rankings include:
- Chambers USA 2016 ranked our Corporate/M&A practice regionally in Washington DC, New York and Virginia.
- Best Lawyers/US News & World Report 2016 ranked Pillsbury nationally in Tier 1 for Mergers & Acquisitions Law.
- In 2015, Legal 500 US recognized our M&A: Middle Market (sub- $500m) and Venture Capital and Emerging Companies practices; Legal 500 Latin America recognized our Corporate M&A and Capital Markets practices; and Legal 500 Asia Pacific named Pillsbury's China Practice as one of the best foreign firms for Corporate M&A work.
- Recipient of the 2014 M&A Advisor “Corporate/Strategic Acquisition of the Year (over $100mm to $1 Billion)” award.
- Pillsbury ranked 11th as a Top Advisor to U.S. Middle Market, according to FactSet’s Flashwire Advisor.
- Mergermarket’s M&A League Tables ranked our West Coast offices as 14th based on volume of deals.
Recent representative transactions include:
- Represented NTT DATA International in its acquisition of Dell Inc.’s IT services division (infrastructure services, cloud services, application services, and business process outsourcing) for $3 billion.
- Represented inContact, Inc., the leading provider of cloud contact center software and contact center optimization tools, in its $940 million acquisition by NICE. This acquisition created the industry’s first fully integrated and complete cloud contact center solution suite.
- Represented Mission Essential Personnel, LLC, a global services and solutions provider to the Defense and Intelligence Communities, in its acquisition of Information Management Technology Corporation for an undisclosed sum.
- Represented Spin Master Corp., a leading children's entertainment company, in its acquisition of Swimways Corp., a leader in the water and outdoor sports category. The acquisition establishes Spin Master as a key player in the Outdoor and Sports Toys category – currently one of the largest and fastest growing categories in the US toy industry as measured by NPD.
- Represented Hitachi Industrial Equipment Systems Co., Ltd., a Japanese corporation, in its acquisition of all issued and outstanding shares of capital stock of L.A. Supply Co., a leading provider of marking and labeling products and services for the West Coast of the United States.
- Represented Beijing E-Dragon Semiconductor Industry Investment Center in its $285.8 million acquisition of all outstanding shares of Mattson Technology Inc., a global semiconductor wafer processing equipment provider.
- Represented EVA Automation, Inc. in its purchase of all the outstanding shares of Bowers & Wilkins, a British audio equipment producer.
- Represented Petco Animal Supplies Stores Inc. in transferring the operations and management of its Pooch Hotel brand and its properties to Paradise 4 Paws, a pet resort.
- Represented Financial Engines in its acquisition of The Mutual Fund Store from Warburg Pincus for approximately $600 million.
- Represented Sojitz Corporation in its acquisition of 90% equity interest in a Dutch company that owned and operated the Kelanitissa power plant in Sri Lanka. The seller was the AES Corporation.
- Represented Envivio, Inc. in its $125 million sale to Ericsson AB.
- Represented VCLF Land Trust, Inc. in the acquisition from Patriot Coal's chapter 11 estate certain limited mining assets and assumption of responsibility for various obligations to reclaim land and treat water.
- Represented Business Insider in its $343 million sale to German media company Axel Springer SE.
- Represented Ikanos Communications Inc. in its sale to Qualcomm Atheros, Inc. for $47.5 million.
- Represented Cervalis Holdings LLC in its $400 million sale to CyrusOne Inc., a global enterprise data center.
- Represented Medora Snacks, LLC and Ideal Snacks Holding Corporation in its sale to Permira, an international private equity firm.
- Represented Bridge Bank and Bridge Capital Holdings, San Jose, California, in their $450 million sale to Western Alliance Bancorporation, Phoenix, Arizona.
- Represented PSEG Power LLC, through its wholly-owned subsidiary PSEG Fossil, in its acquisition of the 755 MW Keys Energy Center project from Genesis Power, LLC and an energy-focused private equity fund managed by Ares EIF Management, LLC.
- Represented the Board of Directors of PHH Corporation in its sale of the Fleet Division of PHH Corporation to Element Financial Corporation for $1.4 billion in cash and $3.5 billion assumption of debt, for a total acquisition price of $4.9 billion.