Douglas R. Tribble
Mr. Tribble started his litigation practice in the San Francisco office of Pillsbury, Madison & Sutro in 1984. Prior to Pillsbury’s expansion to the East Coast in the 1970s it had been routinely said by Pillsbury’s East Coast competitors that Pillsbury was “the only law firm west of the Mississippi.” Mr. Tribble had the privilege and honor of learning from the nation’s best trial and appellate lawyers responsible for that reputation. That foundation Mr. Tribble gained over 20 years ago continues to be solid and has served his clients well.
Mr. Tribble has a broad range of litigation and trial experience, managing large/multi-party litigation matters. Mr. Tribble has represented companies in many industries, focusing his practice on class actions alleging claims under federal and state antitrust laws and under California's Unfair Competition Act and Unfair Business Practices Act.
In addition to his litigation experience, Mr. Tribble has had an active practice advising clients on issues of product distribution, unfair competition and antitrust.
- Defending international energy company in multiple antitrust class actions alleging that its trading practices resulted in unnecessarily inflated electricity prices for California consumers. Many of these actions have been defeated based on preemption and filed rate arguments. None have resulted in an adverse judgment.
- Defending a marketer of natural gas in various antitrust, unfair business practices and Commodity Act violations actions filed throughout the country. In these cases, Mr. Tribble routinely takes the lead for up to 30 other defendants in court hearings and at depositions.
- Defended wireless service carrier in a nationwide class action alleging insufficient disclosures and unlawful billing practices. This matter was eventually settled after working with over 20 state’s attorney generals and obtaining the support of various consumer groups, including Consumers Union. With over 50 million class members, it is one of the largest successful consumer class action settlements ever. Because of the unique structure of the settlement, it also resulted in ridding the company of virtually every consumer class action it faced, spanning over a period of 10 years.
- Defended international telecommunications company against allegations that it wrongly charged long distance access fees that were not authorized by the customer.
- Defended pharmaceutical company in a consumer suit alleging that customers’ private information taken from pharmacy records was improperly sold to third parties.
- Defended client in a class action alleging that it violated statutes related to home service appointments. This case was settled on terms favorable to the client.
- Defended publisher in a series of suits (including statewide class actions) alleging that unlisted information was published in a widely distributed telephone directory. These cases were settled on favorable terms.
- Defending internet service provider in a class action alleging that high-speed Internet service customers were not provided the full value of advertised sales promotions.
- Defending internet service provider in a class action alleging unauthorized billing for services that were not ordered.
- Defended client against allegations that its instructional program in information technology was not properly credentialed by the state. This case has been settled.
- Defended nationwide internet service provider in multiple coordinated class actions involving allegations of false advertising regarding Internet access service and billing complications. This matter was ultimately settled as a stipulated class action settlement on favorable terms.
- Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation (2013)
U.S. Supreme Court, Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal, and all Federal and State Courts in California.