Emerging Growth Brochure
Is San Francisco the New Face of Silicon Valley?
Fantex IPO Turns Heads in the Legal Community
Lannett Raises $76.5 Million in Confidential Offering
Stanley F. Pierson
Structured to Grow with our Clients. For a shoestring startup, our Emerging Growth practice operates as a small-scale specialty boutique. As our clients grow, so does our team. We provide the right lawyers for the specific needs of our clients, never overwhelming them with what they don’t need.
Our attorneys leverage the firm’s strength and experience in general corporate law, technology licensing, cross-border transactions, and state and federal securities laws to provide a full range of legal services. The team also has extensive experience in diverse sub areas including: corporate formation, private and public equity financing, mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance, licensing, marketing, distribution and franchising, outsourcing, and privacy and data protection. Moreover, we apply this experience to a wide range of industries:
- Computer Systems
- Cloud Data
- Internet Services
- IT Distribution
- Life Sciences
- Medical Devices
- Mobile Devices
- Networking & Communications
- Social media
- Storage Technology & Equipment
Pillsbury’s Emerging Growth & Technology section serves the diverse legal needs of technology firms across all stages of development, from emerging start-up businesses to growing public companies and mature multi-national corporations. Our clients also include venture capital firms; investment banks; general and limited partnerships; limited liability companies; leveraged buyout and other investment funds; investment advisers; investment companies; and other business entities.
To support the interests of emerging growth clients, our team draws from over 300 technology and intellectual property lawyers, providing start-up and emerging companies with legal services for all business stages – from inception to IPO and beyond. Our decades-long history of committed representation has assisted hundreds of entrepreneurs and start-up companies across fast-paced, developing industries. Pillsbury’s depth of experience spans numerous practice areas, allowing us to meet the legal needs of emerging global company clients in areas such as:
- Corporate transactions and advice
- Venture fund formation and representation
- Intellectual property – patents, trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets
- Technology development and joint venture agreements
- Executive compensation and employee benefits issues
- Domestic and international licensing of technology and distribution of products
- Tax planning
- Antitrust advice, as well as government and private litigation and alternative dispute resolution
- Business immigration issues
To support clients’ special needs, we have developed further value-added services with practical business tools and special educational programs. We also leverage our relationships with various established companies, nonprofit research institutions and academic institutions to foster joint development and ventures, sponsored research, and technology licensing.
Highlights of our Emerging Growth & Technology practice:
- Over 100 Venture Capital funds represented.
- $10 billion in venture financing since 1999 for technology and life science startups.
- Decades of experience in the formation of technology-based joint ventures and strategic alliances in the United States and abroad.
- Approximately 50 percent of the M&A transactions we handle are in the technology sector.
- 2012 Chambers USA recognized Pillsbury in 22 practice areas, including our national Corporate and M&A practice, and in 113 individual rankings.
- 2012 Chambers Global recognized 25 Pillsbury attorneys in 8 practices as among the world’s top lawyers.
- 2011-2012 Best Lawyers in America® ranked 128 Pillsbury lawyers and designated 56 Pillsbury practices as No. 1 in their region, including our national Corporate Law practice and our Silicon Valley M&A Law and Securities / Capital Markets Law practices.
- 2012 Legal 500 ranked 88 Pillsbury attorneys and 19 practices in its U.S. guide, including our Middle Market M&A practice.
- Corporate Counsel 2012 named Pillsbury as a Go-To Law Firm by 11 companies in 4 categories: Corporate Transactions, Securities, Intellectual Property, and Litigation.
- The American Lawyer’s 2011 Corporate Scorecard has recognized Pillsbury’s Corporate and Securities team as being one of the top law firms handling the largest number of U.S. IPOs as issuer’s counsel.
- 2010-2011 PLC Which Lawyer recognized 51 Pillsbury attorneys, including 18 from San Francisco and Silicon Valley, for a total of 55 rankings.
- Premier hedge fund publication HFM Week honored Pillsbury with its "Best Onshore Law Firm – Client Service" 2011 award for third consecutive year.