Webinar, Tax/Labor Risks of Misclassifying Employees as Independent Contractors
The IRS has begun a 3-year national employment tax audit program to uncover worker classification errors and other employment tax problems. In addition, the U.S. Department of Labor’s Wage and Hour Division recently announced that its fiscal 2011 budget includes an additional $25 million to address independent contractor misclassification, beef up enforcement and improve coordination with other federal agencies.
You are invited to attend "Tax/Labor Risks of Misclassifying Employees as Independent Contractors" which will include the following topics:
- Effect of renewed focus by government on misclassification
- Information about the IRS "research program" and audits
- Possible changes to or elimination of Section 530
- Tax costs of misclassifying workers
- Litigation risks associated with improper classification of independent contractors
- Varying standards under state and federal laws for determining independent contractor status
- Practical tips for protecting independent contractor status
Who Should Participate
The webinar is designed for any company that uses independent contractors, including but not limited to restaurants, resorts, and hotels.