J. Gregg Miller, Jr.
Mr. Miller is a member of the firm's Real Estate department. He represents developers, managers, brokers, owners, and operators with respect to office, residential, agricultural, retail, recreation, and industrial properties located throughout North America on acquisition, financing, entitlement, development, leasing, sale, and related transactions. Mr. Miller represents the firm's many corporate clients, including technology, biotech, energy, retail, and foodservice companies, on a wide variety of real estate transactions, including leases, lease work-outs, build-to-suit agreements, synthetic leases, sale-leasebacks, financings, purchase and sale agreements, and campus development. Mr. Miller also represents the firm on its West Coast real estate matters, including the firm's recent relocation of its Sacramento offices to a LEED Gold certified building in Midtown.
Mr. Miller is a strong supporter of San Francisco's arts and cultural institutions. He provides many hours of pro bono legal services every year relating to the institutions' real estate needs.
Mr. Miller is also a graduate of the 2009 class of Leadership San Francisco (LSF), a ten month leadership program that is connected with the San Francisco Chamber of Commerce. The LSF program focuses on educating and developing community trustees who want to make a significant contribution to strengthen and transform San Francisco.
- Obtained entitlements for the expansion of the San Francisco Columbarium, a designated San Francisco landmark, including approvals from the then newly-formed San Francisco Historic Preservation Commission.
- Currently representing a non-profit housing developer in obtaining San Francisco Planning Code and Zoning Map amendments to create a special use district in order to relax density restrictions and certain other Code requirements.
- Obtained the first-ever approval under Section 179.1 of the San Francisco Planning Code for the legitimization of an office use in a former industrial space under the new office legitimization program of San Francisco's Eastern Neighborhoods Plan.
- Currently seeking entitlements for an approximately 100,000 sq. ft. site in San Francisco's Eastern Neighborhoods to build approximately 600 residential units.
- Represented property owners with real estate in San Francisco's Eastern Neighborhoods with respect to a massive re-zoning effort aimed at balancing the City's projected needs for industrial space with existing and future needs for residential development and space for knowledge-based industries.
- Obtained a reversal at the San Francisco Board of Permit Appeals of an adverse determination by the San Francisco Zoning Administrator.
- Obtained reversal at the Sonoma County Board of Supervisors of the zoning board's denial of a use permit for a critical telecommunications tower in a rural section of the county.
Obtained entitlements for a 250-foot tall, high-rise residential project in San Francisco's Rincon Hill area.
Subprime Crisis and Multi-State and California Foreclosures
- Represented an institutional lender in a receiver's sale of a busted housing development in Sonoma County.
- Represented an institutional investor in the disposition and wind-up of a portfolio of real estate holdings consisting of completed and partially completed urban in-fill projects located in major metro areas throughout the United States.
- Assisted a major investor with analysis and work-outs with respect to large investments in various joint ventures for the acquisition and development of several hundred thousand residential units in areas of the United States most significantly impacted by the subprime crisis.
- Advised an institutional lender with foreclosure law and conflicts of law issues related to a borrower default under a loan secured by thirty deeds of trust/mortgages on real property located in six different states.
- Advised several institutional lenders on various loan workouts with an aggregate value in excess of $300 million.
Acquisitions and Dispositions
- Represented the buyer in the acquisition of an office building in Seattle's Pioneer Square for $125 million.
- Represented the investor in the creation of a joint venture for the acquisition and development of an office building in Seattle.
- Represented the buyer in the acquisition of an historic office building in Portland, Oregon.
- Represented the seller in the sale of a multi-family development in Oxnard, California for $60 million.
- Represented the seller in the sale of the iconic John Hancock Center in Chicago, Illinois.
- Represented the seller in the sale of 500 W Monroe, Chicago, Illinois, an SOM-designed, 46 story office tower with nearly one million square feet of office space and over 1,300 parking spaces.
- Represented the seller in the sale of the Chanel Building in San Francisco's Union Square at a then record-setting price per square foot.
- Represented the seller in the sale of a marquee retail building on Rodeo Drive.
- Represented the buyer in the acquisition of a multi-building, 650,000 sq. ft. office campus in the Central Perimeter sub-district of Atlanta, Georgia.
- Represented the buyer in the acquisition, via a joint venture, of a 1.2 million sq. ft. office campus in the Dallas/Fort Worth corridor.
- Represented the buyer/landlord in a sale-leaseback transaction involving a 70,000 sq. ft. suburban office building and parking structure.
- Represented the optionee in the option of approximately 30 acres at the north end of the Las Vegas Strip.
Vineyards and Wineries; Agriculture; Natural Resources
- Represented the buyer in the acquisition of Gary Farrell Vineyards & Winery, Healdsburg, California.
- Represented the seller in the sale of Callaway Vineyards, Temecula, California.
- Represented the seller in the sale of 55 acres of agricultural land in New Jersey.
- Assisted a non-profit with the acquisition of a lake and surrounding watershed in the Tahoe area to preserve an endangered species of trout.
Leasing, Property Management and Brokerage
- Represented a solar panel manufacturing company in the lease of its 225,000 square foot manufacturing headquarters.
- Represented a major San Francisco retailer in the renewal of its flagship store lease in Union Square.
- Represented the sublandlord in the sublease of approximately 130,000 sq. of office and research space in Stanford University's Research Park.
- Represented a major technology company in the sublease of an approximately 250,000 sq. ft. multi-building office campus in San Jose, California.
- Represented the tenant in a distribution center build-to-suit lease for 700,000 sq. ft. of space and a sublease of an approximately 750,000 sq. ft. distribution center.
- Represent landlords in several hundred thousand square feet of office, industrial and retail space lease transactions.
- Represented the owner in negotiation of building management agreements for several million square feet of Class A office space in various buildings in North America.
- Represent nationally known insurance company lender with respect to mortgage loans on office, retail and industrial property throughout California.
- Represented the lender in a $60 million mortgage loan.
- Represented the borrower in a $40 million mortgage loan.
- Represented the developer/borrower in a $150 million construction loan for a state-of-the art biotechnology building.
- Represented a leading Northern California retailer in the negotiation of an $80 million revolving line of credit.
San Francisco Planning and Urban Association (SPUR); Urban Land Institute (ULI); Real Property Section of the San Francisco Bar Association; University of San Francisco Law Review