Ninth Circuit Eliminates Presumption of Irreparable Injury for Plaintiffs Seeking Preliminary Injunctions in Trademark Cases
U.K. Court of Appeal’s Award of Compensation for Distress to an Individual Following a Breach of the Data Protection Act: Opening the Floodgates for Claims by Individuals?
Copyright Litigation Update: Copyright Register Has “Right to Weigh in” Before Registration Is Invalidated
Top-Level Domain Expansion Raises Concerns for Brand Owners
Pillsbury Elects Ten New Partners For 2014
Patrick Doody Comments on the First Inter Partes Ruling
Social Gambling & Gaming Summit
Fraud: Still a Viable Attack in IP Cases?
IP Summit: Post AIA – Strategies in Litigation and Patent Prosecution
Jack S. Barufka
We've been at the cutting edge of IP for more than 100 years.
- We have appeared before many different jurisdictions both in the US and abroad. Within the US, in IP cases alone, we have appeared in 77 of the 94 District Courts and all 13 US Courts of Appeals.
- Outside the US, we have appeared in various international tribunals including the International Chamber of Commerce and the World Intellectual Property Organization, to protect the IP rights of our clients.
- In the last 30 years, we filed for over 120,000 patents and our IP practice has over a century of history and experience.
- We filed for over 80,000 trademarks registrations—including more than 6,600 currently active, pending or registered US marks; and approximately 16,700 active pending or registered foreign marks (in nearly 300 countries) distributed among over 1,200 clients.
- In a single year, we file an average of 3,900 patent applications and obtain an average of more than 1,900 patents for our clients.
Specific areas of interest include:
- Trade Secrets
- Trademarks and Trade Dress
- Technology Transfer and Licensing
- Unfair Competition
- IP Protection Strategies (e.g., patents vs. trade secrets)
- IP Audits and Due Diligence
- IP Portfolio Analysis
- Defensive IP Strategies
- Strategic Prosecution
- Applications Patent Interference Strategies and Practice
- Trade Secrets and Unfair Competition
- Product Search and Clearances
- Clearance Legal Opinions (e.g., patent invalidity and non-infringement opinions)
- Establishing Internal Control and Review Processes for IP Portfolio
- Copyright Law
- Licensing and Technology Transfer
- Technology Contracting and Counseling
- Trademarks and Branding
IP Practice Rankings & Recognitions
Independent rankings recognize our intellectual property group’s depth and breadth:
- Best Lawyers in America (Best Lawyers), 2013
- Ranked in Intellectual Property (Who’s Who Legal), 2013
- First Tier (Washington) – IP & Patent Litigation (US News/Best Lawyers), 2013
- Top 10 in General Practice Firms - Patents (Intellectual Property Today), 2013
- WTR 100 (World Trademark Review), 2013
- Client Choice Awards (International Law Office and Lexology), 2013
- California’s Top Intellectual Property Litigators (Daily Journal), 2013
- Rising Stars for 2013 (Law360), 2013
- Band 1 (VA), Intellectual Property (Chambers USA), 2012
- Top 100 California IP Lawyers (Daily Journal), 2012
- Top 75 California IP Litigators (Daily Journal), 2012
- Top 20 in in General Practice Firms – Trademarks (IP Today), 2012
- Ranked in Intellectual Property (Legal 500), 2012
- Ranked in Trademarks Category (Legal 500), 2012
- Recommended Law firm for Patent Litigation (PLC Which Lawyer?), 2012