Adapting to a New Reality
ITechLaw 2013 European Conference
Jenna F. Karadbil
Ms. Karadbil has litigated many types of intellectual property and technology issues, including patent, trademark, trade dress, copyright, right of publicity, cybersquatting and unfair business practices. She has drafted numerous intellectual property, technology and software agreements and licenses, including for development and maintenance of software programs, web site policies, contest/sweepstakes rules, recording contracts, production, management and agency agreements, and marketing and distribution agreements.
Before her legal career, Ms. Karadbil worked at Motorola in the Space and Systems Technology Group where she designed and implemented standard computer hardware and software solutions, managed and administered the email system, designed and developed programs for proprietary software, and designed departmental web sites. She has worked in the technology industry for many years, developing extensive experience in computer programming, software and hardware design, implementation and support, and a variety of Internet-related matters.
While in law school, Ms. Karadbil was managing editor of the Arizona Journal of International and Comparative Law. During her tenure, she attended and published two articles from the eCommerce and Technology Summit of the Organization of American States, which focused on emerging technology issues in North, Central, and South America and the Caribbean. Ms. Karadbil also served as Assistant Director of the Courtroom of the Future, where she designed, created and implemented a technologically advanced environment to assist in the practice of law.
- Legal 500 US, Data Protection and Privacy (2013)
- Who's Who Legal: The International Who's Who of Internet, E-Commerce & Data Protection (2009-2013)
Treasurer and Member of the Executive Committee of the Board of Directors: International Technology Law Association
Program Committee Chair: International Technology Law Association
International Association of Privacy Professionals (Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US))
Vice Chair: American Bar Association’s Sci-Tech Section's Virtual Worlds and Multi-User Online Games Committee
Former Co-Chair: IPO Discovery Committee, Sub-committee on eDiscovery
Former Chair: American Bar Association, Intellectual Property, Computer Legislation, Identify Theft and Protection Sub-committee
Former Executive Board Member: Clark County Bar Association
Former Vice Chairman: Technology Committee of State Bar of Nevada
- “Seminar on Social Gaming,” Speaker, Ichay & Mullenex Avocats, Paris, France, October 9, 2012
- "Subcontractors and Third-Party Vendors: How to Conduct Effective Due Diligence and Ensure Data Control and Access in the Cloud," Speaker, ACI's 2nd National Forum on Negotiating and Executing Effective Agreements for Cloud Computing, June 2012
- "Arbitration Provisions in IT Agreements," Speaker, ITechLaw World Technology Law Conference & Annual Meeting, Washington, DC 2012
- "Digital Media - Entertainment of the future - the convergence of technology and entertainment - Focus on Gaming," Speaker, ITechLaw European Conference, Oslo, Norway, October 2011
- "Arbitrating IT Disputes: A Comparative Analysis of Jurisdictions," Speaker, ITechLaw Webinar, March 28, 2011
- "Intent to Induce Infringement, Shifting Sands: What is Discoverable and Admissible for Damages, Willfulness and Other Purposes," Speaker, Intellectual Property Owners Association, Washington, DC, March 21, 2011
- "Whose is it? Ownership of User Generated Content in the Real and Virtual World," Speaker, ITechLaw Asian Conference, Bangalore, India, February 3, 2011
- "Games of Skill vs. Games of Chance," Speaker, ITechLaw European Conference, Berlin, Germany, October 28, 2010
- "IP Law Update", Speaker, ITechLaw World Technology Law Conference & Annual Meeting, Boston, MA, May 21, 2010
- "Google Books—Digitization and the Last Paper Frontier," Speaker, 2009 ITechLaw European conference, ITechLaw; Brussels, Belgium, November 5-6, 2009.
- "How to Search Like a Pro," "Finding Free Legal Research Sites and Free Case Law," and "Discover the Invisible Web," Find it Free and Fast on the Net: Strategies for Legal Research on the Web, NBI, Pasadena, CA, December 19 2008.
- "Donkey Kong Lives: A look at the impact of real-world intellectual property laws on video and computer games," Speaker, 2008 ITechLaw European Conference, ITechLaw; Barcelona, Spain, November 6-7, 2008.
- "Hidden Trademark Use: the Dark World of Sponsored Links and Meta Tags," Speaker, ITechLaw, October 2008 (also showcased as "Topic of the Month" in the ITechLaw IP Committee web page).
- “Recent Decisions in e-Discovery that Affect Us All,” NBI, July 2007.
- “Designing a Compliant Record Retention Policy,” NBI, July 2007.
- "Find it Fast and Free on the Net: strategies for legal research on the web," NBI, February 21, 2007.
- "Affording IP Litigation, Some Systematic Ways In-House Counsel Can Control Litigation Costs," Intellectual Property Litigation Issues for In-House Counsel, Intellectual Property Law Section, The State Bar of California, May 11, 2006.
- "Electronic Case Filing in the District Court," United State District Court of Nevada, 2005 District Conference, May 5, 2005.
- "Internet Search Strategies CLE," Clark County Bar Association, November 2004.
- "E-Commerce Issues: Marketing, Privacy and Intellectual Property" American Alliance of Paralegals, Annual Meeting, October 1, 2004.
- "Privacy Law CLE," Clark County Bar Association, May 2004.
- "Internet for Paralegals," International Paralegal Institute, April 2003.
- "Trademarks and the Internet," Global IP Summit, June 2002.
- "Choosing & Protecting Trademarks," Global IP Summit, June 2002.
- "Internet Gaming, Lotteries, Sweepstakes and Games of Chance Seem Here to Stay," National Business Institute, 2000 (with M. Tratos).