John Hane is a partner in the law firm’s Communications practice and is located in the Washington, DC office. He concentrates on transactions, spectrum licensing and special projects in electronic media, satellite and wireless communications. He writes and speaks often on broadcast, spectrum and technology issues, and is frequently quoted in communications and technology industry trade press on matters ranging from spectrum allocations to television program carriage. Mr. Hane has been quoted in The Wall Street Journal, the Los Angeles Times, The Washington Post, and other leading newspapers.
Mr. Hane has represented many television broadcasters in signal carriage negotiations and related litigation. He was co-lead of the Pillsbury team that secured landmark decisions at the FCC and in Federal Court in Mediacom v. Sinclair.Mr. Hane has developed a unique portfolio of experience in the law, business and technology of media distribution and satellite communications and has achieved success in a number of complex spectrum allocation and licensing proceedings. As NBC's Washington Counsel in the 1990s he played key roles in NBC's successful efforts to eliminate outdated FCC regulations and enable the transition to digital television broadcasting.
At New World Communications Group, Mr. Hane spearheaded the company’s lobbying of the 1996 Communications Act and later shepherded the sale of the company to News Corporation through regulatory approvals, marking one of the fastest approvals of a major News Corporation acquisition in the 1990s.
Mr. Hane led domestic and international regulatory affairs for Lockheed Martin’s commercial satellite division, representing Lockheed Martin Telecommunications before the FCC, the ITU, and other regulatory agencies worldwide.
As an executive officer of Pegasus Communications, then the third largest DBS service provider in the U.S., Mr. Hane was intimately involved in the growth of satellite television into a full service multichannel video competitor. He negotiated more than a dozen transactions and strategic joint ventures while at Pegasus, and he led the team that launched the first duplex satellite broadband service to be bundled with a DBS service. He was the first to advocate use of Ka-band satellite spectrum for delivery of local broadcast stations to DBS subscribers and was among the first to propose “tweener” assignments in the DBS bands. Mr. Hane won preferred satellite licenses for Pegasus’ Ka-band fixed satellite service (FSS) satellites under two different licensing regimes and was the first to obtain rights to use Canadian satellites to broadcast into the U.S. from facilities in the U.S.
Mr. Hane represents service providers, broadcasters, technology vendors and investors in the telecommunications, media and technology sectors.
An avid technologist, Mr. Hane has been awarded four patents for satellite, wireless, digital video and secure communications technologies:
- System, method and software application for secure communication (U.S. Patent No. 8,799,637)
- Security system and method (U.S. Patent No. 7,589,626)
- System, apparatus and method for single-channel or multi-channel terrestrial communication (U.S. Patent No. 7,308,229)
- Wideband direct-to-home broadcasting satellite communications system and method (U.S. Patent No. 7,587,736)
Mr. Hane is a regular contributor to CommLawCenter.com, Pillsbury's one-stop resource center covering a wide array of communications law matters.
- Chambers USA, Telecom, Broadcast & Satellite: Regulatory—DC (2011-2014)
- Best Lawyers in America, Communications Law (2015)
- Legal 500 US, Telecom & Broadcast (2011, 2013-2014)
Federal Communications Bar Association, Society of Satellite Professionals International
- “Stakeholder Perspectives on the Keys to a Successful Incentive Auction,” Federal Communications Bar Association CLE Program, June 16, 2014
- “2014 Regulatory Mid-Year Update for Media & Communications,” SNL Kagan Center for Financial Education, Webcast, June 12, 2014
- “Forecasting – and Slicing – the Retransmission Pie,” TV on Wall Street NAB Financial Forum, October 29, 2013
- “Progress and Obstacles on the Spectrum Auctions,” The Institute for Policy Innovation Fifth Annual Communications Summit, October 22, 2013
- “Retransmission Consent – Taking Revenues to the Next Level,” 30th Annual SNL Kagan TV and Radio Finance Summit, June 6, 2013
- “Legal Perspective: TV Incentive Auction Reverse Auction Process,” Incentive Auctions: What Broadcasters Need to Know, Webinar, December 19, 2012
- "The Economics of Retransmission Consent: How High and How Soon?" 29th Annual SNL Kagan TV and Radio Finance Summit, June 5, 2012
- Panelist, Federal Communications Commission's Channel Sharing Workshop, May 22, 2012
- “Retransmission Consent,” American Cable Association Summit, March 14, 2012
- "Retransmission Consent,” BroadbandUS.TV., Webcast, January 26, 2012
- "The FCC and Retrans-What is on the agenda?," SNL Kagan Center for Financial Education, Webinar, October 11, 2011
- "Future of Television,” 2nd Annual Fall Consumer Conference, September 27, 2011
- Speaker, National Journal Innovation Works Conference, July 13, 2011
- "Spectrum: The Air We Breathe," 2011 Annual NAB Show, April 11, 2011
- "Retransmission Consent – Time For a Complete Overhaul?," Inside Voices on Critical Choices, Webcast, April 7, 2011
- "Whether, When and How to Repack the TV Band," 4th Annual Public Policy Forum Series, March 11, 2011
- “Broadband Spectrum Reallocations,” Credit Suisse-Global Media and Communications Convergence Conference, March 7, 2011
- “Retransmission Consent and Program Access,” USTelecom the Broadband Association, September 29, 2010
- “Retransmission Consent Battles and Licensing Video Content," Broadband Breakfast Club, July 8, 2010
- "The Great Spectrum Debate,” Broadband Breakfast Club, April 20, 2010
- “National Broadband Plan Proposes Significant Challenges for Television Broadcasters,” Pillsbury Conference Call, March 24, 2010
- "Let's Make a Deal: Broadcasters, Mobile Broadband, and a Market in Spectrum," The Progress & Freedom Foundation, December 1, 2009
- "Smart Grid: The Next Frontier of the Mobile/Wireless EcoSystem,” Silicon Valley-China Wireless Technology Association 2009 Annual Conference, September 25, 2009