Kirke M. Hasson
Kenneth W. Taber
At Pillsbury, we understand that not all litigation serves a client’s business objectives in the same way. In the business world, an adversary on one issue may also be a potential valued partner in some future (or even current) endeavor. Adroitly serving the client’s business objectives may require a light touch in one matter, but a firm hand in another. Distinguishing between the two requires a genuine depth and breadth of litigation experience.
That’s where our 200-lawyer litigation team comes in. Our regular clients include Fortune 500 corporations, middle-market companies and entrepreneurial businesses in diverse industries such as energy and natural resources, financial institutions, real estate and construction, technology, and many others. We advise them on developing and executing cost-efficient and pragmatic legal strategies geared to their own business environments and industries.
Pillsbury’s litigators routinely handle complex business litigation, matters of substantial public interest, sophisticated commercial disputes, sweeping e-discovery requests and a wide array of other assignments. Our multidisciplinary client teams employ a balanced approach that can spot trends, recognizing pitfalls to sidestep and opportunities to embrace.
Our legal acumen is enhanced by a Litigation Support department that strives for innovation and efficiency. We have the trained personnel, cutting-edge tools and experienced lawyers who know how to use these resources to get our client’s work done efficiently. Our litigation support analysts—experienced in all facets of litigation, practice and trial support—provide vital services such as predictive coding, database creation, case management programs, electronic evidence and forensic services, and courtroom and trial site support. They are backed by leading-edge software applications and vendors who work seamlessly with us.
Representative Litigation Clients
|American Media||In-N-Out Burger|
|AT&T||Mitsubishi Heavy Industries|
|Bombardier||Mitsui & Co.|
|Chevron||Petco Animal Supplies|
|Clark Construction||Sharp Corporation|
|Deutsche Bank||Stanford University|
|Duke Energy||Stanley Black & Decker|
|Fidelity National Financial||Wells Fargo & Co.|
Recent Significant Cases and Results
To view the full case study on any of the following items, click on the Spotlight box (above right) for Pillsbury’s Annual Litigation Highlights brochure.
Construction and Real Estate
- A Pretrial Victory for Apartment Developer: Secured appraisal award of more than $39 million, substantially improving client’s case for pending jury trial.
- Insurer Forced to Pay for Damage Caused by Subcontractors’ Mistakes: Recovered more than $23 million in damages, plus costs, interest and attorneys’ fees.
- Reversal of Federal Contract Decision Offers Client Opportunity: Lease awarded to rival bidder declared void.
- Victory for an Environmental Underdog: Full restoration, damages and $300,000 in attorneys’ fees.
- Delivering Victory in Scorched-Earth Litigation: Jury verdict awarding $9.3 million in compensatory damages and attorneys’ fees, plus $46 million in punitive damages.
- Gift Card Win for Wells Fargo: Defeated gift card class action.
- Saving Swiss Banks from Criminal Prosecutions and Potentially Staggering Fines: Achieved DOJ resolutions that enabled each client to substantially limit its liability under U.S. tax laws and avoid criminal prosecution.
- Defeating Investors’ $80 Million Claim against Bank: Won dismissal of an $80 million investor class action.
- Defeating a Trademark Claim against Facebook’s Oclus VR: Client granted summary judgment, ending the lawsuit against it.
- Protecting a Client’s Flying Fairy: Kept copycat version of client’s popular doll off U.S. retail shelves.
- Inter Partes Victories Safeguard Client’s Innovations: Validity of key patents upheld in multiple proceedings.
- Preserving California’s Energy Supply: Won denial of the preliminary injunctive relief sought by plaintiffs.
- Holding Insurers Accountable with a $71.7 Million Insurance Recovery: Secured a $71.7 million jury award for our client.
- Securing a Nine-Figure Insurance Claim Recovery: Negotiated a nine-figure recovery, including contested business interruption losses.
Consumer & Retail
- Ensuring an Assault on a Client-Critical Business Model Runs Out of Gas: Affirmation of trial court decision in one case, leading to voluntary dismissal of two others.
- Rebuffing False Advertising Claim Made by Anti-GMO Plaintiffs: A strong rejection of class certification followed by dismissal with prejudice.
- Defending Clients against Significant Sherman Act Antitrust Claims: Dismissal of a $1.4 billion antitrust case.
Information & Communications Management
- A Stellar Win for NASA Info-Tech Service Provider: Obtained denial of all preliminary injunctive relief sought by plaintiffs.
- Saving Clients $80 Million in Tax and Interest: Saved clients $80 million in taxes and interest.
- Key Victory in Personal Income Tax Case: Won unanimous SBE decision, resulting in an abatement of $10 million in taxes and interest for our clients.