Marco Santori is the leader of the Firm’s Digital Currency and Blockchain Technology focus team. He is a partner in the law firm’s Corporate & Securities - Technology practice and located in the New York office.
Recently described by an American Banker reporter as "the Dean of Digital Currency Lawyers," Marco is a recognized authority in the law of digital currencies and emerging blockchain technologies. He counsels banks, broker-dealers, exchanges, wallets, payment processors, institutional miners, and other companies making new and exciting uses of distributed ledger technology. As Chairman of the Bitcoin Foundation's Regulatory Affairs Committee, his knowledge of the latest industry trends develops in near-real-time.
Marco advises his clients on regulatory matters, including compliance with money services and securities regulations. The winner of the first annual Blockchain Award for Bitcoin Legal Expert, Marco is fluent in the Bank Secrecy Act (BSA) and Patriot Act's application to digital currency businesses, including Know Your Customer (KYC) and Anti Money Laundering (AML) regulation. Securities laws, too, apply to many integrations of blockchain technology, and can require registration as a broker-dealer, transfer agent, alternative trading system (ATS) or clearing agent. Marco works closely with his clients to structure their business plans to comply with these regulations, and where appropriate, avoid them entirely.
Marco’s technology transactions practice focuses on regulated companies in the high-technology sector, including web, e-commerce, financial technology (Fintech), and the emerging digital currency space. Marco assists his clients in structuring complex international technology transactions – often in heavily regulated industries.
He is well-versed in the corporate requirements of early-stage businesses, including seed, angel and venture-backed fundraising.
Marco's litigation practice focuses on commercial and high-technology matters. He litigates disputes arising out of intellectual property, trade secrets, defamation and securities fraud. He is well-versed in alternative dispute resolution (ADR) and lectures on the topics of mediation and arbitration.
Before beginning his legal career, Marco founded and operated a successful home-decor distribution company, which imported textiles from India, China and Canada and sold to institutional customers in the Americas and across Europe. Since then, Marco has counseled organizations of all sizes in their business matters. He has successfully represented large, well known brands, such as Nike, Inc., 3M Corp., Nautica and Tory Burch, as well as medium-sized and growing businesses. Marco appears on Real Money with Ali Velshi and Bloomberg TV. He has also been profiled by the Wall Street Journal, Forbes, Washington Post, The New Yorker, Wired, Entrepreneur.com and Crain's New York Business.
Bitcoin Foundation – Chairman, Regulatory Affairs Committee, 2013 – Present
- Cato Institute’s Cryptocurrency: The Policy Challenges of a Decentralized Revolution Conference, Washington, DC, April 12, 2016
- ABA’s 2016 Digital Currency and Blockchain Technology National Institute, Washington, DC, April 1, 2016
- ACI’s 11th National Forum on Emerging Payment Systems, Chicago, Illinois, March 31, 2016
- MIT Enterprise Forum of NYC's Digital Trust in a Blockchain World, New York, New York, February 9, 2016
- The North American Bitcoin Conference, Miami, Florida, January 22, 2016
- Latin American Bitcoin Conference 2015, Mexico City, Mexico, December 4, 2015
- NetFinance Interactive 2015, San Diego, California, December 2, 2015
- State Street Innovation Symposium, San Francisco, California, October 15, 2015
- Smart Money: Digital Security, Consumer Privacy and the Internet of Value, New York, New York, September 28, 2015
- The FinTech Revolution: Banking on the Future, Silicon Valley, California, September 24, 2015
- ABA Deposit Account Fraud Peer Banks Face-to-Face Meeting, Washington, DC, September 18, 2015
- Keynote2015 Conference: Redefining Financial Technology, Los Angeles, California, August 3, 2015
- Regulation & Bitcoin, Digital Currencies + The Blockchain 2015, New York, New York, July 28, 2015
- Regulation, Security & Law, The State of Digital Money, Los Angeles, California, April 18, 2015
- Emerging Issues in Regulatory Compliance and Law Enforcement Efforts, Inside Bitcoins, New York, New York, April 28, 2015
- Bitcoin and Other Digital Currencies: An Introduction to the Technology, the Risks and the Rewards, San Francisco Bank Attorneys Association Luncheon, April 6, 2015
- What New York’s Proposed Regulations Mean for Bitcoin Businesses, Thomson Reuters’ Webinar, December 4, 2014
- Building an Effective Compliance Program and Managing Regulatory Expectations, Inside Bitcoins, Las Vegas, Nevada, October 6, 2014
- Regulatory and Legal Challenges to Distributed Finance Businesses CoinSummit, San Francisco, California, March 25, 2014
- Bitcoin, Digital Currency and the Law Lawline Continuing Legal Education Course, February 5, 2014 (available at: http://www.lawline.com/cle/course/bitcoin-digital-currency-and-the-law)
- Bitcoin and Digital Currency New Jersey State Bar Association Continuing Legal Education, New Jersey, January 8, 2014
- Real Money with Ali Velshi Al Jazeera America, December 27, 2013
- A Businessman’s Primer on Digital Currency Law Inside Bitcoins Convention, Las Vegas, Nevada, December 10, 2013
- The March 18 FinCEN Guidance on Virtual Currencies California Bar Association, Los Angeles, California, November 9, 2013
- Real Money with Ali Velshi Al Jazeera America, October 9, 2013
- Digital Currency and the Law Bloomberg TV, September 10, 2013
- The U.S. Government Addresses Bitcoin China Central Television, September 3, 2013
- Regulation and the Digital Currency Industry U.S. Department of the Treasury, Washington, D.C. , August 26, 2013
- March 18, 2013: A Starting Gun Shot for the Digital Currency Industry National Money Transmitters Association, New York, New York
NY BitLicense Update: 45 Days to Apply, July 1, 2015
New York Revises "BitLicense" Regulations for Virtual Currency Businesses, February 5, 2015
Say Hello to the SEC’s Digital Currency Working Group., January 12, 2015
What New York’s Proposed Regulations Mean for Bitcoin Businesses, July 18, 2014
Testimony of Marco Santori to the NYDFS, January 28, 2014
Compliance and Avoidance Strategies, December 12, 2013
Money Transmission on the State Level, September 28, 2013
Money Transmission on the Federal Level, August 17, 2013