Michael Schumaecker is a member of the law firm’s Finance practice, a group that includes the firm’s Banking, Derivatives, Energy & Infrastructure Projects, Islamic Finance, Structured Finance, Trade & Commodities Finance and Transportation Finance practices. He has extensive experience in complex cross-border asset-based financings, trade finance and infrastructure projects, particularly in the aviation and energy industries.
He has over 25 years of experience acting as counsel to airlines in both financial and commercial matters, including aircraft purchases and sales, operating and finance leases, pre-delivery payment financing, receivables financings, fuel hedges, ticket clearance systems, frequent flyer programs, fleet replacements, joint ventures, debt restructurings and insolvency proceedings. He also works extensively for international lenders on aircraft financing matters and has advised on Export Credit Agency financings for over $6 billion of aircraft.
Mr. Schumaecker has also represented lenders in structured trade finance arrangements with businesses and governmental entities in over 40 countries involving almost every kind of asset, such as supply chain financing of commodities, cellular telecom build-outs in emerging markets and export financing for school buses, computer equipment, avionics, spare engines, helicopter parts and drilling rigs.
His financing experience in the energy and infrastructure sectors includes matters such as the leasing of nuclear fuel, power purchase contracts and waste-to-energy projects as well as working with multilateral institutions in airport development, port projects and water desalinization plants.
- Chambers Global, Asset Finance—Global (2008-2015)
- Chambers USA, Aviation Finance—National (2007-2015), Banking & Finance: Equipment Finance & Leasing—National (2012-2013), Banking: Equipment Finance & Leasing—New York (2007-2011)
- Best Lawyers in America, Equipment Finance Law (2006-2015)
- Legal 500 US, Asset Finance and Leasing (2007-2014)
- Who's Who Legal, Asset Finance—New York, Finance—New York (2010)
- Best of the Best USA, Aviation, Euromoney/Legal Media Group (2009, 2011)
- Guide to the World's Leading Aviation Lawyers, Euromoney/Legal Media Group (2013)
- African Aircraft Debt Deal of the Year, Ethiopian Airlines Financing, Jane's Transport Finance (2010)
- European Deal of the Year, Turkish Airlines Financing, Airfinance Journal (2008)
United States Supreme Court
Editor-in-Chief, Brooklyn Law Review