Jack S. Barufka
Each year Pillsbury’s team files more than 3,900 patent applications and obtain nearly 1,600 patents for our clients. From the largest organizations to the individual inventor, domestic or international, we guide our clients through the complex processes and procedures involved in obtaining the strongest patent protection to which an invention is entitled.
Many of our lawyers are professional engineers and scientists. Many have advanced degrees in electrical, mechanical and chemical engineering, as well as biology, chemistry, physics, and computer science. Several of our lawyers have worked as patent examiners in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). Even after a U.S. patent application is filed with the USPTO, our lawyers continue to provide legal support and assistance throughout the ensuing prosecution process.
Our Northern Virginia and Washington, DC offices are strategically located for proximity to the USPTO. We have strong relationships and frequent interviews with the Examiners at the USPTO.
We provide a proactive and aggressive approach to securing the broadest possible patents to help our clients obtain the maximum protection available.
- Protective and defensive IP strategies
- Strategic prosecution of electrical, mechanical, chemical, pharmaceutical, biotech, and computer science patents
- Applications patent interference strategies and practice
Services offered by our patent prosecutors include:
- Arranging for patentability, state-of-the-art, infringement and invalidity searches
- Preparing and prosecuting patent applications
- Defending against unwarranted claims of patent infringement
- Rendering legal opinions on the strengths and weaknesses of patents
- Prosecuting interference contests to resolve priority in invention
- Filing reissue applications
- Requesting and defending ex parte reexamination proceedings
- Requesting and defending inter partes review proceedings
- Negotiating license agreements
- Merger/acquisition/divestiture counseling on regulatory and environmental matters
- Providing creative, value-enhancing advice for the management of worldwide patent portfolios