Payson Coleman is a partner in the firm's Estates, Trusts & Tax Planning and Finance practices and is located in the Palm Beach and New York offices. Mr. Coleman is a member of the Florida and New York bars. He represents high net worth individuals, family offices and foundations in a wide variety of estate planning, family office/ trust administration, and tax residency matters, and advises clients on efficiently acquiring and managing family assets, including real estate, aircraft and investments. Mr. Coleman has had a long career representing aircraft financiers, airlines, leasing companies, funds and individuals in commercial and business aircraft acquisition, lease, finance, restructuring, repossession and remarketing activities. He continues to work with the Firm's Transportation Finance team on such matters. Mr. Coleman has served and serves on several for profit and not-for-profit boards and investment committees.
- Serving as trustee and director of large family offices advising on asset allocation, investment management agreements, governance, compensation arrangements, tax residency and other matters.
- Serving as chairman of a not-for-profit with large investment portfolio, multiple investment advisors and fund managers
- Serving as a director of international not-for-profit conservation organization based in Africa, including as a director of its for profit subsidiary involved in raising “socially conscious” capital for investment in Africa
- Representation of financiers, lessors and airlines in financing and acquisition of new commercial and business aircraft, including cross-border sale and leaseback transactions, operating leases, Eximbank financings and manufacturer supported financings
- Representation of creditors/lessors in the bankruptcies of Delta, Northwest, Air Canada, US Airways, United Airlines and many others and in various other restructuring and repossession/remarketing activities in connection with distressed airlines around the world
- Representation of Fortune 50 purchaser of multiple new Gulfstream aircraft and sale of used business aircraft
- Negotiation of NetJet fractional share arrangements and advising individuals on aircraft purchases
- Chambers Global, Asset Finance—USA (2007-2014)
- Chambers USA, Aviation Finance—National (2005-2014), Banking: Equipment Finance & Leasing—New York (2008-2010, 2012-2013)
- Best Lawyers in America, Equipment Finance (past 20 years)
- Legal 500 US, Asset Finance and Leasing (2007-2013)
- Who's Who Legal, Aviation—New York (2010)
- Best of the Best USA, Aviation, Euromoney/Legal Media Group (2009, 2011)
- Guide to the World's Leading Aviation Lawyers, Euromoney/Legal Media Group (2012)
- International Who's Who of Aviation Lawyers (2008-2009)