Robert Wallan is a senior litigation partner in Pillsbury’s Los Angeles office. Robert tries cases in the state and federal courts and in binding arbitrations, and often argues in state and federal appellate courts. As plaintiff's counsel, Robert has recovered nearly $3 billion for the firm's corporate clients. For the defense, he has helped clients avoid liability in numerous "bet the company" cases. Having tried dozens of cases in the courts and before arbitration panels, Robert advises clients on litigation avoidance strategies, and regularly helps clients shift exposure to insurers.
Robert served as managing partner of the firm's Los Angeles office and litigation department for many years, and currently serves on the firm’s finance committee and as co-chair of its Insurance Recovery and Advisory practice. Robert is the immediate past Secretary and General Counsel of the UCLA Alumni Association Board of Directors.
American Bar Association, Los Angeles County Bar Association (Litigation section)
U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Southern and Central Districts of California, Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Texas Commerce Bank v. Garamendi, 11 Cal. App. 4th 460 (1992)
- Commercial National Bank v. Superior Court, 11 Cal. App. 4th 393 (1993)
- Texas Commerce Bank v. Garamendi (TCB II), 28 Cal. App. 4th 1234 (1994)
- In re Executive Life Insurance Company, 32 Cal. App. 4th 344 (1995)
- SWH Corporation v. Select Insurance Company, 2006 WL 2786930
- Bank of New York v. Fremont General Corporation, 514 F. 3rd 1008 (2008)
- Zevnik v. Superior Court, 159 Cal. App. 4th 76 (2008)
Social Consciousness – Not Just for the Millennials. Presentation at the West Coast General Counsel Conference, November 2015
Crisis Management: Planning for the Unplanned, Best Practices, and Communications. Presentation for The Legal Council Fall Seminar, November 2013
Is Your Company Prepared for a Crisis? Managing Public Relations and Operations. Chaired panel addressing food safety, public relations, social media and privacy in the restaurant industry. UCLA Extension Restaurant Industry Conference, April 2013