David Dekker is Pillsbury’s Firm Chair, a member of the firm’s Managing Board and a partner in the firm’s Litigation practice.
Mr. Dekker focuses on civil litigation and dispute resolution. He has handled a wide range of cases throughout the country on both the plaintiff and defense side. His experience includes actions at the trial and appellate levels involving complex insurance coverage disputes, construction claims, real property, suretyship and other commercial matters. In the area of complex insurance coverage, Mr. Dekker has handled numerous claims involving builder's risk, CGL, professional, pollution, commercial property, EPL, business interruption and other policies, as well as claims involving subcontractor default insurance, and payment and performance bonds. With respect to construction and real property disputes, he has handled claims arising out of catastrophic occurrences, as well as claims involving the full range of physical damage to property construction defect, delay, total cost, design, mold, EIFS, Chinese drywall, defective products and other issues. He has successfully argued appeals in the Fourth, Seventh and Eighth Circuits in recent years. In 2010, Legal 500 named Mr. Dekker one of the eight leading Real Estate and Construction practitioners in the country. In 2013, BTI named Mr. Dekker as one of the 40 "most valuable" practitioners to corporate counsel worldwide, in any practice area.
Mr. Dekker also routinely advises clients concerning insurance and risk management issues. This includes the structuring of corporate risk transfer programs, as well as advice concerning individual projects, transactions and other non-litigation matters. His risk management clients include numerous companies on Engineering News Record's list of the country's 100 largest contractors, as well as real estate developers, private equity funds, utilities, large engineering firms and major homebuilders.
- Chambers USA, Construction—DC (2007-2016)
- Best Lawyers in America, Construction Law, Litigation – Construction (2010-2017)
- Best Lawyers in America, Lawyer of the Year, Construction Law—Washington, DC (2016)
- Legal 500 US, Construction (2011, 2013-2016)
- PLC Which Lawyer?, Construction—DC (2011-2012)
- Who's Who Legal, Construction—DC (2013, 2017)
- BTI Client Service MVP (2013), BTI Client Service All-Star (2013, 2015)
- Guide to the World's Leading Construction Litigation Lawyers, Euromoney/Legal Media Group (2011)
- Washington, DC's Best Lawyers, The Washington Post (2012-2013)
- Super Lawyers (2012-2013)
Fellow, American College of Coverage and Extracontractual Counsel
United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, United States District Court for the District of Columbia, United States District Court for the District of Maryland