Press Release 06.26.18
My principal goal is to assist clients effectively to integrate dispute resolution with their business objectives.
Recognized by Best Lawyers and Super Lawyers, Pillsbury partner Rich Segal is a highly experienced and well-known California commercial and business litigator.
Rich litigates in state and federal courts at the trial and appellate levels. He has deep experience in the retail, consumer finance and banking sectors, particularly in class actions and unfair competition, false advertising, securities, disability accommodations and employee benefits matters. Rich’s clients include vehicle finance and leasing companies, large retailers, public corporations and employee benefit plans and trustees. Rich is the partner in charge of the Litigation practice in Pillsbury’s San Diego and San Diego North County offices.
Defending a national retailer in putative class action claiming violation of California’s privacy statutes through recording of telephone calls.
Representing a health benefit plan in responding to a government challenge under the Affordable Care Act.
Defending a national chain of car dealers in a putative class action alleging violations of California vehicle finance laws.
Recognized by Best Lawyers for Commercial Litigation (2014 – 2018) and Super Lawyers (2007 – 2017).
Member of the Petco Foundation board of directors and member of the National Leadership Council of Lambda Legal.
Serves as a trustee of San Diego Youth Services and is a past president and board member of the nonprofit organization.
- American Bar Association
- San Diego County Bar Association
- Published Opinions
- Lobatz v. U.S. West Cellular of California, Inc., 222 F.3d 1142 (9th Cir. 2000)
- Parker v. Bain, 68 F.3d 1131 (9th Cir. 1995)
- Gaines v. American Honda Finance Corp., 2000 WL 33676150 (S.D. Cal. May 30, 2000)
- Cornwell v. Hamilton, 80 F. Supp. 2d 1101 (S.D. Cal. 1999)
- Cornwell v. California Bd. of Barbering and Cosmetology, 962 F. Supp. 1260 (S.D. Cal. 1997)
- Alki Partners, LP v. DB Fund Services, LLC, 4 Cal. App. 5th 574 (4th Dist. 2016)
- Community Youth Athletic Center v. City of National City, 220 Cal. App. 4th 1385 (4th Dist. 2013)
- Kunert v. Mission Financial Services Corp., 110 Cal. App. 4th 242 (2d Dist. 2003) [represented client at trial court level, appeal dismissed as to client prior to appellate decision.]
- “What’s Next for Equality California?,” LGBT | POV, March 10, 2011.
J.D., Harvard Law School, 1991
B.A., Political Science, Yale University, 1988
magna cum laude
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit
U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Eastern, Central and Southern Districts of California