Perspectives on Insurance Recovery
Pillsbury Announces Attorneys Elected to Partner for 2013
Pillsbury Elects Eight Attorneys to Partner For 2013
Mariah Brandt is a partner in the law firm's Intellectual Property practice and is located in the Los Angeles office. Her practice focuses on complex and commercial litigation as well as intellectual property and privacy matters. Ms. Brandt has litigated cases in state and federal forums involving numerous industries, including: health care; banking; insurance; real estate; hi-technology; internet-based companies; restaurant; and forestry.
Ms. Brandt has handled cases with a wide range of issues including consumer privacy, statutory violations, commercial contracts, merger and acquisition disputes, intellectual property, real property, fraudulent transfers, and insurance coverage. Ms. Brandt has significant experience defending class actions.
Ms. Brandt has served as lead counsel in several jury trials. As lead counsel, she handled all aspects of these cases, including formulating case strategy, preparing witnesses, conducting direct and cross-examination, selecting a jury, drafting and giving opening and closing statements, and writing post-trial briefs. She has also drafted winning appellate briefs submitted to the California Court of Appeal and the Ninth Circuit.
In addition, Ms. Brandt has extensive experience readying cases for trial and arbitration. She manages large scale litigation matters through all stages of the proceeding, from pre-litigation negotiations and early assessment of the case for alternative dispute resolution through discovery, dispositive motions, preparation of experts, trial or arbitration, and appeals. Ms. Brandt has considerable experience drafting motions, including dispositive and discovery papers. She has argued motions in court and successfully obtained temporary restraining orders, preliminary injunctions and discovery orders. Ms. Brandt has conducted and defended numerous depositions and witness interviews. She has also negotiated and drafted intellectual property licensing agreements and settlement agreements.
Ms. Brandt is a member of the Los Angeles office's hiring committee and very involved in recruiting for the firm.
- Representing a hospital in class actions seeking statutory damages for the unauthorized disclosure of patient health information by a hospital vendor.
- Second chaired privacy class action for large entertainment client in which we successfully demurred to plaintiffs’ primary claim for a statutory violation.
- Second chaired a tortious interference with contract case in state court in which we obtained a favorable judgment for our client.
- Acted as lead associate on complex dispute in federal court regarding licensing of DVD patents that resulted in favorable settlement the day before trial after prevailing on key motions in limine.
- Second chaired high-profile trademark dispute resulting in defeating plaintiff's request for preliminary injunction seeking to prohibit our client from nationwide use of its trademark.
- Managed a trademark dispute in front of the Trademark Trial and Appeals Board, taking the case through discovery to settlement negotiations and ultimately successfully settling the case.
- Prosecuted a complex fraudulent transfer case in front of the bankruptcy court and the district court for several years that lead to a $17 million settlement recovery.
- Prosecuted various insurance coverage matters for policyholders for all types of businesses.
- Obtained favorable settlement for restaurant chain following appellate victory in a case seeking reimbursement for settlement costs in an employment related class action.
- Handled a high-profile matter involving local athletes.
U.S. District Court for the Northern, Central and Southern Districts of California; U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit