Renewable & Alternative Energy
Pillsbury has honed a unique understanding of the renewable and alternative energy market through our work on all aspects of development, financing, intellectual property, regulation, tax and commercial law related to U.S. and international projects. We advise on numerous renewable projects and have been active in helping clients secure tax and other incentives provided by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009. We are privileged to work with some of the newest emerging and renewable energy technologies, including carbon sequestration, gasification, fuel cells and demand-side management, as well as in the areas of biofuel, solar, wind, hydroelectric, geothermal and landfill gas.
Because regulatory approvals and operating restrictions play a pivotal role in all renewable projects, we advise clients on the day-to-day changes in the regulatory environment, as well as advising on filings and on design and operational compliance.
Pillsbury advises on ethanol, biodiesel, agricultural waste and other biofuel projects. We help domestic and international clients including start-ups, investors, and multinational integrated oil and gas companies on matters including the filing of patent applications for new technologies; the construction, financing, and operations of biofuel production facilities; regulatory due diligence; and the negotiating and structuring of complex multi-party investments.
Pillsbury advises on some of the world’s largest solar projects, as well as on-site distributed generation projects designed to take advantage of state-sponsored solar incentive programs. Our experience includes deal work on investments in solar projects, long-term power purchase agreements and representation of issuers and investors in solar company capital markets financings.
Pillsbury’s participation in the wind energy industry has earned it a reputation as a leader in the development and financing of domestic and international wind energy projects. Our advisory work with venture capitalists, developers, utilities, diversified energy companies and tax equity investors encompasses all aspects of structuring and negotiating investments in wind energy projects.
Renewable Energy Credits (RECs)
Pillsbury is at the forefront of important legal developments affecting participants in the renewable energy sector. We participate in industry committees that draft new contracts such as the Master Renewable Energy Certificate Purchase and Sale Agreement jointly published by the Special Committee on Energy and Environmental Finance of the American Bar Association and the American Council on Renewable Energy.
Other Energy Technologies
We have experience working with some of the newest alternative and renewable energy technologies including carbon sequestration, gasification, fuel cells and demand-side management technologies.
- Represented a diversified energy technology company in a joint venture to build, own and operate a 50-million-gallon-per-year ethanol plant. The project financing included senior and subordinated debt and was structured to take advantage of cost savings by utilizing waste heat generated by a nearby coal facility.
- Represented an early-stage biofuel company in its first round of venture financing. The capital will be used to secure preliminary engineering certification for a proprietary production process that converts agricultural waste into low-cost ethanol.
- Negotiated a power purchase agreement on behalf of a joint venture partner in one of the world’s largest solar projects.
- Represented multiple clients in the development of an aggregate 2,500 MW of new wind power capacity, involving the negotiation of turbine purchases, balance of plant agreements, and long-term power sales agreements.
- Advised on landfill gas projects involving several landfill locations across the country, including counseling a supplier in a dispute over the performance of the power generation equipment used to transform landfill gas into an alternative energy source.
- Counsel to U.S. sponsors in the development, acquisition and sale of geothermal energy exploration, production and power generation projects.
Our Clients Say It Best
"This firm represents some of the prize names in the energy world, with an immensely talented core group of partners in Houston acting at the forefront of the projects sector. Drawing on the top-quality regulatory, contracts and M&A expertise in the New York, Washington, DC and San Francisco offices, in addition to the firm's international network, the Houston team excels in LNG, renewables and alternative energy and power projects."
Source: 2009 Chambers USA