Thomas G. Allen
Tom Allen is a counsel in the law firm's Litigation practice and is located in the Washington DC office. Mr. Allen's practice focuses on a wide variety of complex litigation/arbitration, compliance, and enforcement matters with a particular focus in the areas of environmental law, nuclear energy, aviation, and securities. Mr. Allen has represented clients before U.S. government agencies, state and federal trial courts, international tribunals, state and federal courts of appeals and commercial arbitration panels.
Mr. Allen also has an active pro bono practice that is focused on civil rights and civil liberties issues. For the past nine years, Mr. Allen has additionally served as a co-chairman of the associates’ campaign for the Legal Aid Society of the District of Columbia. In 2011, he was recognized by the Washington Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights, where he also serves as a trustee, for outstanding achievement in the field of equal employment opportunity litigation. He additionally serves on the Board of Directors of St. John’s Episcopal Preschool in Washington DC.
- Represented an iconic U.S. guitar manufacturer in a high profile criminal investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service alleging violations of the Lacey Act pertaining to the importation of exotic hardwoods.
- Represented U.S. shipbuilder in criminal investigation into alleged wetlands and Rivers and Harbors Act violations.
- Ongoing representation of Fortune 100 manufacturer in multiple CERCLA related proceedings, state and federal environmental enforcement actions, and lawsuits by private landowners.
- Representation of major nuclear component vendor in multiple disputes involving design defect, intellectual property, licensing, and breach of contract issues. Breach of contract cases included disputes over the provision of major components for nuclear power plants.
- Conducted a foreign government commissioned study of applicable U.S. and California law related to liability and procedure for nuclear accident claims.
- Represented U.S. nuclear utility in multi-jurisdictional matters related to the storage and disposal of spent nuclear fuel. Representation included breach of contract claims as between plant owner-operators and former minority owners.
- Lead counsel in arbitration for breach of contract claims brought against U.S. based nuclear technology and consulting company.
- Represented Japanese-based component manufacturer in National Transportation Safety Board proceedings related to two highly publicized safety events on a newly designed long haul aircraft fleet.
- Represented Japanese airline parts manufacturer for all U.S. based contract and tort claims related to the alleged falsification of safety paperwork required for regulatory approval of their products.
- Represented airport owner and operator in dispute with the Federal Emergency Management Agency over the provision of disaster relief funds.
Securities Litigation and Enforcement
- Represented Chinese manufacturers and technology companies in SEC enforcement proceedings regarding revenue recognition and disclosure issues.
- Represented foreign bank in FINRA investigation and broker/dealer arbitration.
- Represented CFO of Silicon Valley-based semiconductor company in SEC enforcement proceedings and private securities litigation related to stock options backdating.
- Outstanding Achievement Award for Civil Rights Litigation, Washington Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs (2011)
Legal Aid Society of the District of Columbia; Washington Lawyer’s Committee for Civil Rights; St. John’s Episcopal Preschool
U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit