Corporate Social Responsibility Update
NAFE Names Pillsbury to Top 50 Companies for Executive Women
Pillsbury Named to BTI Client Service Top 30 List
DC Partner Tapped as Legal Aid Vice President
- National Association of Female Executives "Top 50 List" 2011-2013
- Placement on Working Mother magazine's list of 100 Best Companies for the past seven years, including one year as the only law firm ever named in the Top 10 companies
- Received a Gold Standard certification in 2011 and 2012 from the Women in Law Empowerment Forum (WILEF) for the number of women partners holding firmwide leadership positions
- American Lawyer Top Firms for Diversity Awards in 2011
- Work Life Matters magazine's 2011 "Top Companies for LGBT Equality"
- Yale Law Women 2011 "Top Ten Family Firm" list
- Firm Chair Jim Rishwain honored with a CEO Diversity Leadership Award by Diversity Best Practices in 2009
- 100% perfect score on the Human Rights Campaign's Corporate Equality Index for the past seven years
While we celebrate these accomplishments, we know there is still much to be done to diversify our profession. Pillsbury's Diversity Committee includes firm leaders recognized in the legal community for their commitment. Members of our firm have led the California Minority Counsel Program, the Asian Pacific Bar of California, the "No Glass Ceiling" task force of the Bar Association of San Francisco, and the Committee on Women and the Law for the New York City Bar Association. We work closely with organizations in the community, law schools, bar associations and minority organizations to further our shared goals, and we sponsor numerous groups.
We also closely align our diversity initiatives with our recruiting efforts. We sponsor and participate in Anapata, the Bay Area Diversity Career Fair, Lavender Law, the DC Road Show, and several other diversity recruiting events throughout the year. Upon joining the firm, we offer:
The foundation of a meaningful diversity program is good communication—with one another and with our clients. We facilitate firmwide retreats, discussion groups, book clubs and other career building activities for our Asian American, Latino, African American, women and LGBT attorneys through affinity groups. These groups focus on building community as well as professional development. Diverse lawyers hold key positions within the firm, leading committees, client teams, and practice sections. Two of our largest offices, New York and Washington D.C., are led by an African American partner and a woman partner, respectively. Our firm also actively partners with clients who share our commitment to recruiting, retention and development of a diverse workforce.
Supportive Benefit Policies
Work/life balance is part of the dialogue when the focus is on retention and promotion of women, yet this balance is important to all of us. Pillsbury was one of the first firms to adopt a flexible work arrangements program and to extend benefits to domestic partners. Today, we offer domestic partners the same benefits that we offer to spouses of attorneys and staff. In addition, attorneys who adopt or have children through surrogacy are eligible for infant-care and family-related leave. It is of utmost importance to us to support the careers and the lives of our talented attorneys and staff.
Diversity is part of who we are, and we work hard to keep it that way. Our reason is simple: To anticipate our clients' needs and help position them for the future, we must have diverse minds.