David R. Lewis
Charles H. Peterson
Silicon Valley+1.650.233.4883Abu Dhabi+971.2.596.8900Washington, DC+1.202.663.8083
Pillsbury fields one of the world's top nuclear energy teams, with the specific knowledge and historical perspective to help you take full advantage of developments in this field. Pillsbury has more than 20 practitioners in the field and is rated Top Tier by both Chambers USA and Chambers Global in what is increasingly an international practice. Our 50-year track record is full of firsts, including the first practice devoted to nuclear energy issues; first buyer representation in a nuclear plant acquisition; first nuclear plant to obtain license renewal; first major nuclear complex in the Gulf states; and first new nuclear plant in the U.S. at a greenfield site. We have been involved in virtually every U.S. purchase and sale of a nuclear power plant, and have spearheaded the NRC licensing of fifty of these plants—more than any other firm—with a 100 percent success rate. Our experience also extends to crisis response, where we represented the owner and operator of Three Mile Island during and after the 1979 accident. Nearly half our work is international, representing governments and others on major nuclear procurements and working with inbound clients on investments and regulatory requirements in the U.S. nuclear energy market.
With both long-term practitioners and rising stars, Pillsbury’s international nuclear energy work is expanding rapidly. We are currently advising utilities, IPPs, overseas investors, governments, reactor manufacturers and other industry participants on policy, rulemaking, transactional regulatory support, litigation, intellectual property, real estate and land use, new plant licensing and crisis management. Among many examples of our recent work, Pillsbury represents ENEC on a $20 billion project to develop four new nuclear plants in the UAE, and MHI on a number of major nuclear energy-related matters. Pillsbury is also advising Akkuyu NPP Power Generation in the development of its nuclear power plant project in Turkey.
- Advise several foreign governments in the development and implementation of nascent civil nuclear power programs
- Advise and represent the Emirates Nuclear Energy Corporation in developing its internal organization, assisting in the development of the UAE nuclear regulatory structure and nuclear liability insurance regime
- Advise MHI on a number of major nuclear energy-related matters
- Representing Akkuyu NPP Power Generation in development of its nuclear power plant in Turkey
- Represent the manufacturer in numerous transactions tied to the development of a small modular reactor technology
- Represented an energy producer/transporter in obtaining an early site permit from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission; currently representing it on its application to construct and operate new nuclear units at the site
- Represent a Department of Energy (DOE) contractor in support of negotiations between the U.S. and the Russian Federation
- Represent a U.S. company in the negotiation of a contract to process nuclear waste material in Central Asia
Awards & Rankings
- Ranked among the leading nuclear law firms (2013 Chambers Global and 2013 Chambers USA)
- Ranked in Tier 1 of energy law firms by Best Lawyers/US News & World Report
- Four Pillsbury partners were named to 2013 Chambers Global and USA "Leaders in their Field" list
- Received three "Chevron Law Firm Diversity Recognition Awards" for our commitment to diversity and the results we have achieved
- "Energy Law Firm of the Year" for the United Arab Emirates (Asian-Counsel, 2009)
- "Energy Firm of the Year" and "Environmental Firm of the Year"(ACQ Magazine, 2008)
The Pillsbury Difference
Technical Knowledge and Experience
Because the nuclear energy industry is so heavily regulated, it takes an extraordinary amount of technical knowledge and legal experience to provide effective representation. Many of our lawyers hold graduate degrees in engineering and the sciences, and have held relevant positions in the U.S. Navy, electric companies and nuclear facilities. Some have served as counsel to the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC), the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), and the Atomic Energy Commission.
An Energy Industry Powerhouse
Pillsbury's strategic mergers over the past 10 years have brought together three top energy teams, creating one of the legal industry's largest and most preeminent practices. We have worked on large-scale energy projects and their financing in more than 75 countries on six continents, giving us vast experience in all aspects of the quickly evolving global energy field.
The Leading Edge for International Projects
All signs point to continued, sustained growth in global nuclear projects. Our closely integrated team covers the world's energy and finance capitals and is backed by an extensive network of host-country law firm contacts, enabling us to provide flexible and efficient legal counsel wherever—and whenever—you need it.
Clients Benefit from Nuclear Industry Experience
- Nuclear Energy Transactions
- Nuclear Export Controls
- Nuclear Litigation
- NRC Investigations and Employee Concerns
- New Plants
- Advanced Reactor Licensing
- License Renewal
- Facility Regulation
- Power Uprates
- Waste Management and Decommissioning
- Public Policy
- Climate Change
- Small Modular Reactors
Our Clients Say It Best
"Clients are attracted by the team's 'efficient and effective' approach to problem solving and are confident that these lawyers 'always account for every possible issue that may arise.'"
"One of the finest nuclear practices in the USA and internationally."
"In demand by utilities, IPPs, overseas investors, governments, reactor manufacturers and other industry participants for advice on policy, rulemaking, transactional regulatory support and new plant licensing, among other issues."
"One of the best-respected and best-established names in the nuclear law industry."
"One of the go-to names for license renewal issues."
"Among the greatest all-around NRC lawyers."
"Combines a first-class nuclear energy practice with outstanding LNG, renewables and oil and gas practices."
"'A diamond of a practice'... impresses with a wide range of experience and up-to-date knowledge of the issues."Source: Chambers USA and Chambers Global