Press Release 10.05.18
Christine Scheuneman is a retired partner in the law firm's Litigation practice. She represents many preeminent corporations, financial institutions and real estate companies.
An experienced trial attorney and leader of the firm’s multi-disciplinary Real Estate Litigation practice, Christine represents clients in complex business, class action and commercial matters, including financial services, antitrust and unfair business practices, and securities litigation. She represents real estate and finance clients in matters involving investment disputes, regulatory investigations, loan and asset workouts, insolvency, development, and construction issues. She regularly advises clients in the consumer financial services sectors about regulatory issues and the expansive jurisdiction of the CFPB.
Represented a major bank in consumer class actions alleging unfair business practices and violations of Consumers Legal Remedies Act in connection with business accounts and the Bank’s branded gift cards.
Represented developers and investment participants in large-scale real estate and construction litigation, including class action cases.
Represented former officers and directors of a bank in actions by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation relating to commercial real estate loans.
- As a member of Pillsbury’s Crisis Management Team, works with clients to strategically manage the potential liabilities associated with a crisis event.
- Class Action Cases
- Representing a major financial institution in a consumer class action alleging, among other things, unfair business practices and violations of Consumers Legal Remedies Act in connection business checking account rewards programs.
- Representing a national retailer in a consumer class action alleging violations of California’s gift card law, Consumers Legal Remedies Act and Unfair Competition Law in connection with its gift card program.
- Representing the target defendant owner/investor against fraud and real estate securities claims brought by 338 California plaintiffs who purchased interests in property located in Texas.
- Representing several international entertainment companies in consumer class actions alleging unfair business practices and violations of the Consumers Legal Remedies Act.
- Unfair Competition and Antitrust Advice and Litigation
- Defending world’s leading independent television and movie industry trade association from claims about its services to its member clients to collect secondary royalties for retransmission of their works worldwide.
- Representing an international energy company in litigation establishing a pattern of fraud by a retailer.
- Protecting several medical device companies from unfair business practices and damaging statements by their competitors.
- Recovering damages and obtaining injunctive relief for the owner of an international on-line service, which was a victim of below cost sales violations.
- Providing strategic advice to a medical device manufacturer to address unfair competition concerns.
- Defending a major international manufacturing company in unfair competition litigation involving its semi-conductor business.
- Financial Services and Real Estate Advice and Litigation
- Representing target currency exchange defendants in Commodities Futures Trading Commission litigation of alleged fraudulent activity.
- Representing a major financial institution in bankruptcy litigation in a matter involving an elaborate “Ponzi” scheme.
- Representing an international trading company in the Securities and Exchange Commission investigation of possible channel stuffing activities by a third party.
- Representing several major financial institutions in litigation matters arising from fraudulent transactions by mortgage brokers and loan originators in schemes involving multiple lenders/investors and subprime lending practices.
- Defending a major financial institution against lender liability and fraud claims by the borrower/debtor arising from the debtor’s failed bankruptcy plan.
- Defending a major securities firm in several related securities fraud matters, including federal litigation and arbitration.
- Representing a publicly traded company to favorably determine the validity and enforceability of stock option claims.
- “Mitigating Disaster” for an investor/owner following a multi-million dollar punitive damages award (another law firm tried the case). Punitive damages were eliminated in post-trial motions and on appeal.
- Providing risk and asset analysis for major investment portfolios for some of the nation's largest institutional investors, asset managers and investment advisors.
- Representing an investment advisor supervising litigation brought by one of the world's largest retailers against the institutional investor owners of 16 major shopping center properties in 10 states.
The Legal 500 U.S., Antitrust - Civil Litigation/Class Actions (2016)
LEAP for Justice Award, Domestic Violence Legal Empowerment and Appeals Project (2016)
- Member, Advisory Board for the Center for Real Estate at the University of California – Irvine's Paul Merage School of Business.
- Member, Board of Trustees of Cottey College and its Institute for Women’s Leadership, Social Responsibility and Global Awareness.
- Member, Executive Committee of the Board of Directors of the Girl Scouts of Orange County.
- Governance Fellow, National Association of Corporate Directors (NACD).
- California 100 Most Powerful Women.
- Presentations & Speaking Engagements
“Overcoming Exhaustion Issues in Class Action Litigation to Protect the Civil Rights of Developmentally Disabled Students Under the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, A Case Study” California Special Education Law 2017, Practicing Law Institute, October 4, 2017
“How to Fail in the Internet of Things,” Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman Annual MCLE Marathon, January 2017.
- “Ten Best Practices for Crisis Management,” webinar, May 8, 2016.
- “Crisis Management Toolkit,” Japan America Society of Southern California, September 2015.
- “How Deceptive Can a Label Be?” National Conference of State Liquor Administrators 2015 Annual Conference, June 17, 2015.
- “Defending Against New and Emerging Claims Relating to Credit, Debit and Prepaid Cards and Bank Add-on Services and Products,” 18th National Forum on Consumer Finance Class Actions & Litigation, 2014.
- “Litigation Update,” California Mortgage Bankers Association 2013 Western States Legal Issues Conference, December 2, 2013.
- “Responding to a Data Breach Incident,” Patient Health Information Data Breach Webinar Series, May 8, 2012.
J.D., DePaul University College of Law
Order of Barristers
B.A., University of Kansas
A.A., Cottey College
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit
All California District Courts
7th Circuit Court of Appeal
Northern District of Illinois, Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)
California State Courts
Colorado State Courts
Illinois State Courts