Blog Post 09.24.18
Kimberly Buffington, a Pillsbury partner and noted class action, trial and appellate lawyer, has a proven track record of securing multimillion-dollar awards for her clients.
Skilled in trials, appeals and arbitrations, Kim has been successfully litigating consumer class actions and complex intellectual property, insurance coverage and commercial cases for 20+ years. Co-leader of Pillsbury’s Internet and Social Media team, Kim regularly represents technology companies, startups and other businesses in social media and copyright-related matters. She asserts and defends trademark, privacy rights and licensing disputes for recording artists, radio stations, and entertainment companies, and has recovered $50+ million for insurance policyholders.
Defended class actions and mass torts involving plumbing parts alleging false advertising and California Consumer Legal Remedies Act violations. Defeated class certification and consolidated federal cases into a multidistrict litigation.
Represented a large technology client in a copyright infringement matter. Secured a dismissal with prejudice.
Negotiated insurance coverage for the defense of a class action against a technology company and obtained indemnification for the client’s settlement payment.
- Successfully obtained dismissal of national and multistate class claims on behalf of a California-based healthy baked goods company in a consumer class action alleging false and deceptive labeling of its cookie products.
- Successfully tried a Uniform Commercial Code business dispute for four weeks in federal court.
- Successfully defended a client in a state court criminal trial.
- Secured a multi-million dollar recovery as contract damages following a six-week arbitration in New York.
- Successfully argued, briefed and advocated for a state appellate court to uphold a trial court’s dismissal of a case.
- Prepared winning appellate briefs submitted to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and the California Court of Appeal.
- Conducted a two-week trial in federal court involving copyright claims that ultimately settled at the close of trial.
- Settled various copyright and trademark infringement claims for nuisance value.
- Obtained temporary restraining orders, preliminary injunctions and discovery orders.
- Negotiated and drafted several settlement agreements and related intellectual property licensing agreements.
- Mediated and obtained a multi-million dollar recovery for a fast food chain following the insurance carrier’s wrongful denial of coverage for a wage and hour class action.
- Obtained a favorable arbitration award for a fast food chain following the insurance carrier’s wrongful denial of coverage for a wage and hour class action.
- Obtained a multi-million dollar arbitration award to recover an insured’s portion of the settlement proceeds paid by the carrier to a co-insured.
- Favorably settled multi-million dollar environmental liability claims after a decade of litigation.
Featured speaker at the April 2016 Women in Law Empowerment Forum in Los Angeles on the topic, “Ambition: The Fuel for Your Career Engine (Why Talent Isn’t Enough).”
Member of the New Roads School Board of Trustees.
Managing Partner for the Los Angeles office; Co-hiring partner for the Los Angeles office; Co-heads the Los Angeles Summer Associate Program.
- Honors & Awards
- Named one of the Most Influential Minority Attorneys in Los Angeles, Los Angeles Business Journal, 2018.
- Named one of the Most Influential Women Lawyers in Los Angeles, Los Angeles Business Journal, 2017.
- Speaking Engagements
- “Data, Metrics and Statistics, Oh My! Best Practices for Claims Management,” ABA Women of the Section of Litigation CLE Conference, Chicago, IL, November 6, 2014.
- “Aftershocks from the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake - How the Incident Affects Causation Issues Today,” ABA Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee CLE Seminar, Tucson, Ariz., March 7, 2014.
- “A Quick Course on Crisis Management: Planning for the Unplanned, Best Practices, and Communications,” The Legal Council Fall Seminar, Washington, DC, November 7, 2013.
J.D., University of Michigan Law School, 1997
B.A., Pomona College, 1994
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Central, Northern, Eastern and Southern Districts of California
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit