Press Release 10.17.22
Mona Dajani, qualified as a lawyer in the U.S., as a registered foreign lawyer in England and a licensed professional engineer, serves as a lead lawyer in complex mergers, acquisitions, dispositions, financings and project development transactions involving energy and infrastructure facilities in the United States and around the world. She is the global co-leader of the firm’s Energy and Infrastructure Projects Team and also leads the Renewable Energy practice, which covers clean energy, clean energy technology, hydrogen and sustainable finance.
Mona focuses her global practice on project ﬁnance, corporate ﬁnance, mergers & acquisitions, sustainable ﬁnance, portfolio acquisitions, tax equity, construction and/or restructuring for government and private clients involving energy and infrastructure projects. In her over 20 years of practice, she has led numerous ﬁnancing and acquisition/disposition and project development transactions involving solar, wind, hydrogen, hydroelectric, geothermal, biomass, waste to energy and net-zero disruptive technology, such as connectivity, autonomous driving and e-mobility, as well as gasiﬁcation, transmission lines, and oil and gas pipelines. She has substantial experience with respect to syndicated loan and debt capital markets transactions, sustainable finance, ESG, syndicated commercial bank debt, commercial paper programs, and arranging capital for new and established energy and infrastructure companies. She has represented a wide variety of commercial and public institutions, sponsors, utilities, ﬁnancial institutions, underwriters, energy and clean technology companies, private equity funds, investment banks and multilateral agencies in transactions throughout the Americas, Europe, Asia and the Middle East.
- Recognized by Chambers USA as a leading lawyer for Projects: Renewables & Alternative Energy, on the A Word about Wind’s Legal Power List, as a “Power Player” in Financier Worldwide’s Project Finance & Infrastructure – Distinguished Advisors list, as a Law360 2020 and 2021 MVP in Project Finance, and on the Environment+Energy Leader 100.
- Honored as a fellow of the American Bar Foundation, Chartered Construction Lawyers Society of America, The Best Lawyers in America, The Legal 500, IFLR1000, Rising Legal Stars, and other publications.
- Regular contributor and commentator for Wall Street Journal, International Financial Times, CNN Radio, Axios, POLITICO, Bloomberg Energy, FOX News, The New York Times, The Washington Post, National Public Radio and USA Today, among others.
- Honors & Awards
- Recognized by The Legal 500 as a leading lawyer for Energy: Renewable/Alternative Power (Industry Focus) and Project Finance – USA Nationwide (2022).
- Recognized by Chambers as a leading lawyer for Projects: Renewables & Alternative Energy - USA Nationwide (2022).
- Recognized by A Word About Wind (AWAW) Legal Power List, a biennial industry intelligence report that ranks the 100 most influential lawyers in the global wind energy sector (2022, 2020, 2018).
- Recognized as a top 10 finalist for the Women in Hydrogen 50, an initiative profiling inspirational women in the clean hydrogen sector (2022).
- Appointed as a Department of Energy Ambassador for C3E (2022) by Department of Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm.
- A fellow of the American Bar Foundation, in recognition of a lawyer whose career has demonstrated outstanding dedication to the highest principles of the legal profession and to the welfare of society (2021).
- Winner of Project Finance MVP award for two consecutive years, Law360. (2021 & 2022).
- Named as one of the most influential women in the global wind sector. The 2021 Women’s Power List (WPL) spotlights the top female deal-makers, power-brokers and influencers in the global onshore and offshore wind industry of 2021. A Word About Wind (2021).
- One of 10 lawyers featured in Financier Worldwide’s 2021 Distinguished Advisors Project Finance & Infrastructure special profile, which recognizes “Power Players” in the industry.
- Recognized as a 2020 Environment+Energy Leader 100 (2020).
- Recognized as a Leading Lawyer by The Best Lawyers of America (2013 – 2023).
- Appointed as member of Law360’s Project Finance Editorial Advisory Board (2019 – present).
- Recognized as one of the leading voices in the cleantech industry by the 2020 Cleanie Awards in the Woman of the Year category.
- Lawyer of the Year and Leading Energy, Mining and Infrastructure Lawyer, Al Global Media (2018).
- Women in the Law Nominated by their Peers, Best Lawyers (2018)
- Board Memberships
- American Council on Renewable Energy (ACORE), Board of Directors
- ABANA – the preeminent U.S. organization for finance professionals and institutions with interest in the Middle East and North Africa, Board Member
- The Institute for Energy Law – International Section
- American Bar Association – Energy and Resources
- American Bar Association – Vice Chair, Project Finance of the Energy Infrastructure & Siting Committee
- Member, Trial Law Institute
- Member, Diversity Law Institute
- External Publications
- "Diving Into the Inflation Reduction Act’s Tax Credits and the Ambitious Plan to Reshape the U.S. Energy Sector,” Utility Dive (August 2022)
- "U.S. Solar Shipments are Hit by Import Ban on China’s Xinjiang Region,” WSJ News (August 2022)
- "US Act would expand credits for transition technologies,” Transition Economist (August 2022)
- "Deal lawyers react to EPA decision to limit authority to regulate greehouse gas emissions from power plants,” Axios (July 2022)
- “What’s in the Inflation Reduction Act, Part 2,” RTO Insider (July 2022)
- “Mona Dajani Comments on EV Standardization Efforts by Biden Administration,” Law360 (June 2022)
- Deal lawyers react to EPA decision,” Axios Pro (June 2022).
- “U.S. States and Cities Fiercely Competing to Host U.S. Hydrogen ‘Hub,’ says Mona Dajani, Global Co-Head of Pillsbury’s Energy and Infrastructure Project Team,” Energywire (April 2022).
- Project Finance 2021: A practical cross-border insight into project finance 10th edition by Millbank LLP – “Using Project Finance for Hydrogen Applications,” ICLG – International Comparative Legal Guide (May 2021).
- “Mona Dajani: Supply Chain Shocks Dampen U.S. Renewables Takeoff,” Inframation News (November 2021).
- “Mona Dajani Comments on Biggest-Ever Carbon Capture Project,” Bloomberg Law (November 2021).
- “The Islamic Finance and Markets Review – United States,” The Law Reviews, 6 (November 2021).
- “Will the Biden Infrastructure Bill Unlock Private Investment in the U.S.?,” Investment Monitor (November 2021).
- “The Biggest Green Hydrogen Hub in the U.S. Could Be Coming Soon to Mississippi,” Canary Media (October 2021).
- “MVP: Pillsbury's Mona Dajani,” Law360 (September 2021).
- “Four Firms Advise as Stockholders OK SPAC's $1.15 Bln Archaea Energy Merger,” Reuters (September 2021).
- “An Insight into Renewable Energy Laws and Regulations – USA Chapter,” ICLG – Renewable Energy 2022 (September 2021).
- “Hydrogen Map Reveals More Than Just Project Locations,” Shale Mag (June 2021).
- “Firms Continue to Find Ways to Support, Inform Clients During Energy Transition,” Texas Lawyer (June 2021).
- “Hydrogen Map Shows 57 Projects Are Operational Globally,” Energy Digital, FuelCellWorks, Energy Voice, H2 View, Law.com/Texas Lawyer (June 2021).
- “Pillsbury Launches Innovative Hydrogen Map Tracking Hydrogen Projects Globally,” FuelCellsWorks (June 2021).
- “New ‘First-of-Its-Kind’ Interactive Hydrogen Map Predicting Global Boom,” Energy Voice (June 2021).
- “Online Hydrogen Map Launched to Track Project Developments,” H2 View (June 2021).
- “Energy Law and Transactions,” LexisNexis, (2021).
- “Esg Finance: An Enterprise-Wide Checklist,” SHALE Oil & Gas Business Magazine (May 2021).
- “Mona Dajani Unpacks Building Your Own ESG Strategy in SunCast Podcast,” Suncast Media (May 2021).
- “Using Project Finance for Hydrogen Applications,” ICLG – International Comparative Legal Guide – Project Finance 2021 10th Edition (May 2021).
- “Green Bitcoin Does Not Have to Be an Oxymoron,” Bloomberg Law (April 2021).
- “Pillsbury Represents Archaea Energy in $1.15 Billion Business Combination,” Business Wire (April 2021).
- “Infrastructure Proposals Aimed at Facilitating the Energy Transition Elicit Wider Partisan Divide Than Others,” Morning Consult (April 2021).
- “Hydrogen Offers CEE a Huge Opportunity, but It Needs to Act Fast,” Emerging Europe (March 2021).
- “Jigar Shah to Head up U.S. DOE Loan Programs Office,” Renewable Energy World (March 2021).
- “2021 Outlook: Will Hydrogen Experience a Breakthrough?” Utility Dive (January 2021).
- “Shikun & Binui’s Acquisition Of 108MW California Solar Portfolio,” Global Legal Chronicle (January 2021).
- “Tax Extenders Included in the Stimulus Bill Poised to Provide a Boost to Renewables,” Texas Lawyer Law.com (January 2021).
- “Hydrogen: 3 Things to Watch in 2021,” E&E News (January 2021).
- “Utility Interest in Hydrogen ‘Beyond Staggering”: GE,” Utility Dive (December 2020).
- “S&P: Hydrogen Offers Opportunity for Energy Transition, but Economics Remain Difficult before 2030,” Utility Dive (November 2020).
- “Green Hydrogen in Natural Gas Pipelines: Decarbonization Solution or Pipe Dream?” Greentech Media (November 2020).
- “Trump Administration Issues Strategic Framework to Direct Federal Hydrogen Research,” Utility Dive (November 2020).
- “Hydrogen First Used for Energy Storage Then Wider Applications: Mitsubishi Power,” S&P Global Platts (November 2020).
- “Mitsubishi Power: Hydrogen Is the Future,” Shale Magazine (November 2020).
- “5 Questions Energy Attorneys Are Hearing About Hydrogen,” Law360 (November 2020).
- “Pillsbury's New Hydrogen Practice Attorneys on the Viability of Clean Energy,” Texas Lawyer Law.com (November 2020).
- “The Islamic Finance and Markets Review – United States,” The Law Reviews, Ed. 5 (November 2020).
- “Green Hydrogen, Holy Grail for Long-Term Energy Storage, Getting Supermajors’ Attention,” Renewable Energy World (October 2020).
- “Following Forward-Looking Energy Clients, Big Law Firms Add Hydrogen Practices,” Texas Lawyer (October 2020).
- “Sustainability-Linked Debt Products Can Drive a Greener Economy,” Bloomberg Law (August 2020).
- “Statement from Mona Dajani on Progress Towards ACORE’s $1T American Renewable Investment Goal,” North American Clean Energy (July 2020).
- “Making Sure Renewable Energy Is in Your Business Plan for the Economic Recovery,” The American Council on Renewable Energy (ACORE) (July 2020).
- “Battery Storage Market Remains Robust Despite Coronavirus Delays,” S&P Global Market Intelligence (Quoted, May 2020).
- “Ask the Energy Experts,” enerG Magazine (Spring 2020).
- “Another Kind of Offshoring Forewind Coming to the U.S.,” Financier Worldwide Magazine (April 2020).
- “Clean Energy Industry on Edge as Coronavirus Fears Spread,” Law360 (March 2020).
- “Energy Storage: Batteries Not Yet Included,” IPE Real Assets (March 2020).
- “2020 Outlook: U.S. Renewable Resources on Steady Course for Increased Deployment,” Utility Dive (January 2020).
- “Challenges Remain in Understanding Energy Storage as an Investment,” Greentech Media (January 2020).
- “Having Climate Change Deniers in the White House Doesn't Imply U.S. Renewable Energy Industry Is Dead,” International Business Times (March 3, 2017).
- Firm Publications
- “Inflation Reduction Act Revives Hope for Biden’s Climate Agenda,” Authors: Jorge Medina, Mona E. Dajani, August 3, 2022.
- “SEC Issues Landmark Climate-Related Disclosure Proposal,” Authors: Sheila McCafferty Harvey, Mona E. Dajani, Air M. Berman, Jorge Medina, Elina Teplinsky, Alberta Waingort-Sutton, March 25, 2022.
- “ESG Board Advisory Checklist,” Authors: Jonathan M. Ocker, Mona E. Dajani, Sheila McCafferty Harvey, March 23, 2021.
- “New Guidance from IRS Extends Safe Harbor for Offshore Wind and Federal Land Projects,” Authors: Jorge Medina, Mona E. Dajani, January 13, 2021.
- “Tax Extenders Included in the Stimulus Bill Poised to Provide a Boost to Renewables,” December 29, 2020.
- “DOE Announces Its Hydrogen Plan,” Authors: Elina Teplinsky, Sheila McCafferty Harvey, Mona E. Dajani, Sidney L. Fowler, November 19, 2020.
- “President’s Executive Order to Expedite Environmental Reviews of Infrastructure Pushes the Envelope on the Interpretation of Emergency Authorities,” Authors: Sheila McCafferty Harvey, Reza Zarghamee, Mona E. Dajani, Alex Peyton, June 15, 2020.
- “Section 45Q Carbon Capture Credits Guidance – Update,” Authors: Jorge Medina, Mona E. Dajani, June 3, 2020.
- “IRS Extends Continuity Safe Harbor for Renewable Energy Projects,” Authors: Jorge Medina, Mona E. Dajani, May 28, 2020.
- “IRS Issues Anticipated Guidance on Section 45Q Carbon Capture Credits,” Authors: Jorge Medina, Mona E. Dajani, February 26, 2020.
- Speaking Engagements
- Moderated “Power Talk: Hydrogen Dealmaking,” the American Council on Renewable Energy (ACORE) Finance Forum (June 2022).
- “Energy Transition: A Conversation with Paul Browning of Fortescue Future Industries,” (April 2022).
- “Keynote Speaker: Outlook for Hydrogen – What Is Driving Growth in the Market,” S&P Global: Hydrogen Markets Americas Conference (March 2022).
- “Energy Transition: A Conversation with Ari Pribadi of Marathon Capital,” (March 2022).
- “What’s New in the Renewables Sector,” Crossroads: The Infrastructure Podcast (February 2022).
- “Renewable Energy and the New Infrastructure Bill: Opportunities, Requirements, and Potential Liabilities,” Strafford Webinars (November 2021).
- “Risk Management Practice to Meet Climate Risk and ESG,” PRIMA San Francisco Webinar (October 2021).
“Financing and the Power Markets—Emerging Trends, Challenges, and Initiatives,” Platts 23rd Annual Financing U.S. Power Conference (October 2021).
- “Energy Transition: Virtual Fireside Chat with Scott Jacobs, CEO and Co-Founder of Generate,” (September 2021).
“Building a Profitable Renewable Hydrogen Project,” Renmad Hydrogen Europe 2021 (September 2021).
- “Green Hydrogen,” INFOCAST Virtual Masterclass ( July 2021).
- “The Hydrogen Revolution,” Revolution.Aero Global 2021 (July 2021).
- “Where VC Meets Capital Markets: The Intersection of Technology, Energy and Finance,” ACORE Finance Forum (June 2021).
- “Atlantic Council Hydrogen Policy Sprint – Policy Solutions to Unlock Hydrogen’s potential,” Atlantic Council (June 2021).
- “The Big Debate: What Is the Future of Offshore? New Installations vs. Floating vs. Asset Conversions,” Next Generation Wind Energy Conference (June 2021).
- “ESG Checklist to Build Your Own Strategies,” SunCast Podcast (May 2021).
- “Hydrogen Markets Americas Virtual Conference – Building Out Hydrogen Infrastructure: Project Status, Technology, and Investment,” S&P Global Platts (May 2021).
- “ACORE Leadership Council Roundtable: TC Energy’s Renewable Strategy,” American Council on Renewable Energy (ACORE) (April 2021).
- “Energy Transition: Virtual Fireside Chat with Oliver Bishop, General Manager Hydrogen at Shell,” (April 2021).
- “U.S. Investment Opportunities in the Hydrogen Economy,” Bloomberg BNEF Summit (April 2021).
- “Empowered Women of Arab America,” Arab America (March 2021).
- “Women in Power: Leading the Energy Transition,” Mitsubishi Power (March 2021).
- “Decarbonizing the American Energy Economy: The Infrastructure Challenges and Associated Regulatory Issues,” American Bar Association (March 2021).
- “Hydrogen-Related Energy Applications, Usage and Storage,” Strafford Webinars (March 2021).
- “U.S.-Israel Disruptive Cleantech Innovation: Energy Technology Collaboration across California, Texas and Israel,” The California Israel Chamber of Commerce (CICC) (March 2021).
- “Who Are the Hydrogen End Users?,” Reuters Events (February 2021).
- “Energy Transition: Virtual Fireside Chat with Jigar Shah, President and Co-Founder of Generate,” (February 2021).
- “Investment Opportunities in ESG, Hydrogen, RE Infrastructures and Advance Recycling Technologies Aligning with UN SDGs 6 – 13,” Companies for Zero Waste: Social Enviro Impact Roundtable (February 2021).
- “Energy Outlook: Moving Beyond the Pandemic,” The 11th Gulf Intelligence UAE Energy Forum 2021 (January 2021).
- “How to Best Finance and Generate Accelerating ROI’s in a Utility Scale Renewable Energy Project,” 12th Annual European Power Strategy & Systems Summit (November 2020).
- “Renewable Energy and the Law,” ICLG (November 2020).
- “Energy Transition: Virtual Fireside Chat with Paul Browning, President and CEO of Mitsubishi Power Americas,” (November 2020).
- “Supply Chain Twin Technology, Resource Optimization for Materials – Plastics, Precious Metals, Mining and the Newest in Recycling Technologies,” Companies for Zero Waste (November 2020).
- “Financing Hydrogen Infrastructure: Next Steps,” Hydrogen Markets America Virtual Conference (November 2020).
- “Strength in Numbers: Partnering for the Future,” ASME Offshore Wind Digital Solutions Summit (November 2020).
- “Investment Trends in Energy,” MENA Energy Meet (November 2020).
- “Project Finance and an Overview of Our Critical Needs,” EUCI – Funding America’s Critical Infrastructure (November 2020).
- “Financing Your Distributed Energy Project,” Distributed Energy Conference (October 2020).
- “Global Markets: Transborder Investment in a Locked-Down World,” REFF Wall Street Virtual Event Experience (September 2020).
- “Clean Energy Investing in an Economic Downturn,” SunCast Podcast (April 2020).
- “Mona Dajani Unpacks Key Elements of Good Renewable Deals,” SunCast Podcast (March 2020).
- “Women Powering Smart Energy,” Energy Networks Networking Event (February 26, 2020).
- “The Investors View: Investment in Today’s Infrastructure Market,” Rubicon New York Infrastructure Roundtable (February 17, 2020).
- “Renewable Energy: Recent Trends and Updates,” Knowledge Group Online CLE Renewable Energy Webinar (November 26, 2019).
- “Terawatts & Trillions,” Experts Only Podcast (November 21, 2019).
- “Under New Ownership: Update on Assets Changing Hands, and the M&A Landscape in the USA,” 6th Annual Solar & Storage Finance USA (October 29, 2019).
- “Financing Infrastructure Development,” REFF-Wall Street 2019 (June 18, 2019).
- “Women Powering Smart Energy,” Energy Networks Networking Event (May 1, 2019).
- “Trends in Wind Energy to Shape Growth in 2019,” Infocast’s Wind Power Finance & Investment Summit 2019 (February 5, 2019).
- “Structuring Private Equity Funds for Investment in Renewable Energy Projects: A New Financing Option,” Strafford Webinars (November 8, 2018).
J.D., Loyola University School of Law, Chicago
M.B.A., University of St. Thomas
B.A./B.S., University of Illinois
England and Wales (Registered Foreign Lawyer)
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
Southern District of New York