Awards & Rankings 11.30.18
Patrick Potter leads Pillsbury’s Washington, DC and Northern Virginia Insolvency & Restructuring teams. A seasoned commercial litigator, he focuses on creative and practical solutions to client business problems.
Patrick handles transaction-avoidance disputes, distressed real estate and technology transactions, Chapter 11 proceedings, restructurings, workouts and recovery efforts in state and federal courts, including federal bankruptcy court. His experience encompasses representing debtors and creditors in complex airline, hospital and hotel bankruptcy proceedings across the U.S., and disputes involving foreclosure statutes, and brokerage, construction and sale agreements. Patrick’s clients include real estate owners and lenders, landlords, REITs, and medical device, health care and telecommunications companies.
Providing Chapter 11 representation to Specialty Hospitals, debtor that operated long-term, acute-care facilities in Washington, DC.
Counseling the Virginia Conservation Legacy Fund, a group that acquired coal mines and assumed environmental cleanup obligations in the Patriot Coal Chapter 11 case.
Represented the mezzanine lender in hotel developer Bray & Gillespie’s Chapter 11 proceedings.
Member of Pillsbury team that won an M&A Advisor 2015 “Deal of the Year” award for representing Virginia Conservation Legacy Fund in its $860 million purchase of Patriot Coal’s assets in bankruptcy.
Participated in “The Insolvency of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises” at the World Bank Group’s ICR Task Force meeting in Washington, DC, on Sept. 19, 2016.
Speaks regularly on a broad range of insolvency issues, including multiple times at the West Coast Borrowers’ and Investors’ Forum on Real Estate Mezzanine Loans in Los Angeles, sponsored by Information Management Network.
- Honors & Awards
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in America in Bankruptcy/Insolvency & Reorganization (2019)
- 2016 Pro Bono Honor Roll
- Profiled as a key member of Pillsbury’s Latin Lawyer 250-ranked practice in the region.
- American Bar Association, Section on Business Law
- District of Columbia Bar Association, Bankruptcy Law Sections
- Michigan Bar Association, Section on Bankruptcy Law
- Virginia Bar Association, Section on Bankruptcy Law
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Speaking Engagements
“Drafting a Comprehensive Insolvency Law,” Singapore, Tuesday, 14-March-2017
“Roundtable on the Role of Courts in Insolvency,” Manama, Bahrain, 5-7-December-2016
“A Bankruptcy Debate on the Future of Gas Gathering, Purchase and Pipeline Transportation Agreements in Texas,” Houston, Texas, 18-October-2016
- “Addressing Bankruptcy in the Drafting Process,” Pillsbury CLE Marathon, Tysons Corner, Virginia, 27-September-2016
- “Armenian Insolvency Reform,” Presentation to and Roundtable with Armenian Insolvency and Commercial Law Judges, Washington, DC, 20-September-2016
- “Bankruptcy Basics: With an Emphasis on the Nuts and Bolts of Chapter 11,” Presentation to the Office of General Counsel Commercial Law Development Program U.S. Department of Commerce, Washington, DC, 25-August-2015
- “Workshop on Best Practices in the Management of Insolvency Cases in Morocco: the U.S. Example,” A Legal Practitioner’s Perspective to Insolvency and Restructuring, Casablanca, Morocco, 9-December-2014
- “Strategies for Resolving Insolvency Disputes,” “Insolvency Legislation: Drafting a Comprehensive Insolvency Law,” “Insolvency & Restructuring – Procedures & Practices: A Practitioner’s Perspective (Part II),” and “Insolvency & Restructuring – Procedures & Practices,” Regional Insolvency Workshop: Developing a Comprehensive Insolvency System, Dubai, UAE, 3-5-November-2014
- "Current Topics in Public and Private Sector Restructurings and Bankruptcies," Puerto Rico in Crisis, San Juan, Puerto Rico, 14-May-2014
J.D., University of Michigan Law School, 1989
B.A., Michigan State University, 1986
District of Columbia
U.S. Courts of Appeals: Thirds, Fourth, and DC Circuits
U.S. Supreme Court