Awards & Rankings 11.29.18
A top-tier aviation lawyer” and “very strong operator” who is “driven,” “extremely competent,” “technically skilled” and “extremely commercial” but “very practical” and “thinks outside the box” while being “efficient,” “attentive,” “responsive,” “patient” and “courteous.
Paul Jebely is widely regarded as the leading global private aviation lawyer, focusing on advising ultra-high net worth individuals and their businesses. He is also a leading commercial aviation lawyer, focusing on complex transactions, restructuring and enforcement.
Paul serves as the managing partner of Pillsbury’s Hong Kong office and co-chair of its asset finance practice. He has advised clients on over US$ 13 billion in aircraft finance, leasing and trading transactions as well as on restructuring and enforcement matters. Qualified to practice law in England, the United States and Canada, Paul has been the recipient of numerous legal and aviation industry awards, and has been repeatedly noted by the Financial Times, The Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg, China Daily and other global and industry publications.
Served as lead aviation counsel to a major financial services group in relation to the US$ 2.2 billion acquisition of a leading global aircraft lessor.
Served as lead counsel to two low-cost carriers in relation to the purchase, financing and sale/leaseback of US$2.5 billion of new Boeing and Bombardier aircraft.
Served as lead counsel to ultra-high net worth individuals, companies and financial institutions in relation to the purchase, financing, leasing and sale of more than US$4 billion of business aircraft.
- Commercial aviation financing - Acted for financiers and borrowers on a large number of back-leveraged operating lease facilities, pre-delivery payment facilities and other secured loan transactions (including restructurings) covering dozens of jurisdictions and airlines
- Commercial aviation operating leasing - Acted for lessors and airlines on a large number of operating lease transactions, including novations and delivery and return processes
- Commercial aviation trading - Acted for airlines on billions of dollars of new aircraft and engine orders with various OEMs, and acting for purchasers and sellers on numerous secondary market transactions for aircraft, engines and parts
- Business aviation financing - Acted for financiers and owners (UHNW and corporate) on a large number of new and used business aircraft finance transactions including restructurings
- Business aviation trading - Acted for owners (UHNW and corporate) on numerous new and used business aircraft sale and purchase transactions, including broker and back-to-back transactions covering all types of business aircraft
- Commercial aviation enforcement - Acted for financiers, lessors and airlines on contentious and non-contentious aircraft repossessions
- Business aviation enforcement - Acted for financiers on contentious and non- contentious aircraft repossessions
- Commercial aviation disputes - Acted for airlines on operating lease and other commercial dispute negotiations
- Business aviation disputes - Acted for owners on business aircraft management disputes
- Special situations - Acted for airlines on antitrust and regulatory matters
Recognized by Chambers High Net Worth Guide for Private Aircraft – Global Wide; Chambers Global for Aviation Finance – Asia-Pacific; Chambers Asia-Pacific for Aviation Finance - Asia-Pacific; Chambers Asia-Pacific for Aviation Finance – China; The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific, Aviation Finance – Hong Kong; and Who’s Who Legal, Transport – Hong Kong.
Chairman of the Community of Hong Kong Aviation Professionals
- Honors & Awards
- American Lawyer Media, “Aviation Firm of the Year – Asia” (2018)
- Aviation News, “Aviation 100: Top 100 Global Leaders” (2016)
- Airline Economics, “Aviation Top 40 Under 40” (2018)
- Asian Legal Business, “Top 40 Lawyers Under 40” (2016)
- African Aviation Awards, “Outstanding Contribution to African Aviation Development” (2015)
- Airline Economics, “Law Firm of the Year” (2015)
- Airfinance Journal African Deal of the Year, “Ex-Im Bank rand financing for Comair” (2015)
- Osgoode Hall Law School, “Alumni Gold Key Award” (2015)
- Euromoney Airfinance Journal, “Rising Star” (2009)
- Speaking Engagements
- “African Open Skies: An Indictment” presented at Euromoney’s Africa Airfinance Conference in October 2018 in Johannesburg
- “Sanctions, Tariffs and Other Challenges in Aviation Finance” presented at Airline Economics’ Growth Frontiers Conference in October 2018 in Hong Kong
- Speaker at ISHKA’s Aviation Festival in September 2018 in Hong Kong
- “How to Not Go To Jail” presented at Corporate Jet Investor’s Corporate Jet and Helicopter Asia Conference in June 2018 in Singapore
- Chairman at Euromoney’s Africa Airfinance Conference in February 2016 in Johannesburg
- “Jurisdictions, Returns and Repossessions” presented at ISHKA’s Investing in Aviation Finance: Korea in February 6, 2018 in Seoul
- “Optimal Tax and Trust Planning Ideas for Investment in Real Property and other Assets by Non-Residents in the U.S.” presented at Afternoon Tea, Trusts and Tax luncheon, October 31, 2016 in Hong Kong
- Speaker at ISHKA’s Aviation Innovation Festival in on July 6, 2017 in Dublin
- Speaker at Corporate Jet Investor’s Corporate Jet and Helicopter Asia Conference in June 2016 in Singapore
- Speaker at Corporate Jet Investor’s Corporate Jet and Helicopter Asia Conference in June 2015 in Singapore
- Speaker at Corporate Jet Investor’s Corporate Jet and Helicopter Asia Conference in June 2014 in Hong Kong
- Chairman at Corporate Jet Investor’s Corporate Jet Asia Conference in June 2013 in Hong Kong
- Chairman at Corporate Jet Investor’s Corporate Jet Asia Conference in September 2012 in Hong Kong
- Chairman at Corporate Jet Investor’s Corporate Jet Asia Conference in September 2011 in Beijing
- Speaker at Corporate Jet Investor’s Corporate Jet and Helicopter Conference in February 2011 in London.
J.D., York University, Osgoode Hall Law School
B.A., University of Toronto - University of Trinity College
Solicitor, England and Wales
Ontario, Canada (inactive)
Hong Kong Registered Foreign Lawyer (New York, USA)