Press Release 11.09.18
Depth backed by competence, responsiveness and flexibility”… “a guru in the field.
The leader of Pillsbury’s Data Privacy & Cybersecurity practice in Europe and global Marketing Law team, Rafi has been highly ranked by Chambers and Legal 500 for 20+ years. He is also listed in Who’s Who Data 2018 and Legal 500’s 2018 Hall of Fame for lawyers praised for continued excellence.
Rafi advises clients, from the world’s largest companies to startups, on entry to new markets, marketing and launch of new technology/products and EU and international IP/IT, data privacy, cybersecurity, regulatory and commercial matters. He regularly deals with competitor and regulator challenges. Sector experience includes IT, media, FMCG, food, health care, travel, automotive and defense. Clients advised include GE, GM, Ford, Jaguar, Land Rover, Aston Martin, Freeserve, Motorola, British Bankers’ Association, Coca-Cola, Cadbury Schweppes, Shell, Virgin, British Airways, Energizer and Starbucks.
Has advised on numerous high-profile IP issues, including the rebranding of Daewoo, the London 2012 Olympics, and the European Court of Justice “Bubbles” trade mark comparative advertising case.
Has advised over 100 website/mobile ventures, as well as multinationals such as General Electric and General Motors on data/cyber laws, General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) etc.
Advised on global launch of Wilkinson Sword/Schick Quattro razor and helped bring about a successful conclusion of multicountry disputes with Gillette.
- Intellectual Property
- Regularly advises on a wide range of IP issues, particularly relating to new brands, products or new technology.
- Advised on “Jif” lemon House of Lords case, on copyright involving James Bond 007 franchise and Guinness “Dancing Man” case, and on numerous high-profile trademark/brand issues.
- Data Protection, E-Commerce & Internet
- Advised on setup and launch of UK’s first internet-only insurance products, one of the UK’s first fully interactive digital TV/Web portal commercials and websites selling cars direct from manufacturer to consumer.
- Marketing & Advertising Law
- Possesses considerable experience advising both advertisers and agencies on best strategy to compete or launch products, contracts, commercial issues, overcoming difficult regulator problems, “clearance“ of materials and marketing law and regulation.
- Has advised on wide range of sale promotions and sports-related deals (e.g., France ’98 World Cup, London 2012 Olympics), prize competitions, lotteries, newspaper and television promotions, formats, terms and conditions.
- Has particular experience in global and pan-EU marketing campaigns, new brand/product launches and comparative advertising disputes.
- Commercial & Contracts
- Advising BAE Systems on numerous outsourcing and data protection issues relating to the creation and operation of the Xchanging JV and its global HR and IT sourcing.
- Advising Shell on sourcing and commercial contracts aspects of a new business model.
- Has substantial public procurement experience with selling to and contracting/dealing with government (e.g. DOH, MOD, Catalist, OGC Buying Solutions).
- Has advised on numerous agency, distribution, services, publishing and other agreements and trading/end user terms and conditions.
- Has extensive experience dealing with the U.S. Department of Defense, DSCC, security clearances, international aspects of foreign ownership and control and, on the EU side, the specific procurement rules and authorization requirements.
Listed as a “leader” in brand and advertising law since 1994 and one of the UK’s “Digital Dozen” e-commerce and data privacy specialists, listed in Who’s Who Data 2018.
Frequent contributor to the Financial Times, Evening Standard, WDPR, PLC, Times and Bloomberg
- Honors & Awards
- Who’s Who Legal, Global Directory, Data (2018)
- Legal 500 Hall of Fame Technology, Media & Telecoms (2018)
- Chambers UK, Media & Entertainment: Advertising and Marketing – National and London (1994-2019); Data Protection & Information Law – UK-wide (2018-2019)
- Chambers Global, E-Commerce (2002)
- The Legal 500 UK, Leading Individual, Telecom, Media & Technology (1998 – 2014, 2018); Brand Management (2014 – 2018); Data Protection (2015)
- Legal Experts, Brand Management (1998 – 2014)
- PLC Which Lawyer?, TMT: Technology—UK (2009 – 2012)
- Insiders Guides: Digital Dozen leaders ranking: E-Commerce & Data Protection (1999, 2000)
- Super Lawyers, Computers & IT Law (2013, 2014)
- E-Commerce Law Group, Advertising Law Group (Chair)
- International Bar Association
- Law Society
- British American Business (Chair, Law Forum)
- Key Publications
- Rafi Azim-Khan and Steven Farmer Thought Leadership Contributors to Bloomberg's Privacy Law Watch Bulletin Article, The New U.K. Investigatory Powers Act - Under The Spotlight Following Key EU Ruling
- Rafi Azim-Khan Thought Leadership Contributor to Bloomberg's Privacy Law Watch Bulletin Article, ICO consultation on European Profiling Rules
- “UK Privacy Office Fines Pro-Brexit Campaign Company for 500,000 Spam Texts” (bylined article by Rafi Azim-Khan and Steve Farmer), Bloomberg’s World Data Protection Report, June 2016
- “UK Investigatory Powers Bill ;New Draft Published Yet Concerns Remain” (bylined article by Rafi Azim-Khan and Steve Farmer), Bloomberg’s World Data Protection Report, April 2016
- “Art. 29 Party Opinion Update Provides Guidance on the Application of EU Privacy Law to Non-EU Companies” (bylined article by Rafi Azim-Khan and Steve Farmer), Bloomberg’s World Data Protection Report, February 2016
- “The UK’s Draft Investigatory Powers Bill: Intensifying the Debate over Privacy versus National Security” (bylined article by Rafi Azim-Khan and Steve Farmer), Bloomberg’s World Data Protection Report, December 2015
- “UK’s New Data Retention and Investigatory Powers Act 2014,” Bloomberg’s World Data Protection Report, 2014.
- “Data Laws Update – Further Changes for International Businesses to Note,” British American Business’ Network, 2014.
- “Personal Data Transfers from the European Economic Area: Binding Corporate Rules,” Bloomberg’s World Data Protection Report, 2014.
- “IT & Data Protection – Catching Up with Change,” Legal Week, 2013.
- “A Perfect Storm of Data Law Changes: Are You Ready for a 2% of Global Turnover Fine?” BritishAmerican Business’ Network, 2012.
- “ICO's First Authorisation of BCRs Using Mutual Recognition Policy,” Bloomberg’s World Data Protection Report, 2009.
- “Safer Internet: EDPS Opinion on Protecting Children,” Data Protection Law & Policy, 2008.
- Ad Law, IPA, 1st, 2nd and 3rd Editions, 2005, 2008 and 2016. Co-Author.
- E-Business—The Practical Guide to the Laws, Spiramus, 2nd Edition, 2008. Co-Author.
- Encyclopedia of E-Commerce Law, Sweet & Maxwell, 2006. Co-Author.
- International Sales Promotion Manual, PLC Cross Border, 2002. Co-Author.
- E-Commerce from Cradle to Grave, City and Financial, 2001. Co-Author.
- A Practitioner’s Guide to Regulation of the Internet, City and Financial, 2000. Co-Author.
LL.B. (Hons), Queen Mary College, University of London
The College of Law, London
England & Wales, Solicitor
State Bar of California, Registered Foreign Legal Consultant