Thought Leadership 07.09.18
Our new office in Hong Kong rounds out our coverage of Greater China, joining our offices in Shanghai and Beijing to serve both China-based clients and international investors in the region.
Corporate partner Tom Shoesmith, Pillsbury’s China practice leader, is known for crafting successful international transactions, especially U.S.-China mergers and acquisitions, and multinational corporate finance deals.
Tom has handled more than 200 international transactions, cross-border acquisitions and complex multinational joint ventures, involving more than 50 countries. Based in Silicon Valley, Shanghai and Beijing, Tom applies decades of experience living and working in Asia to successfully negotiate mergers, acquisitions and investments. A recognized industry leader and lecturer, he has deep knowledge of Chinese investment in the U.S., foreign investment in China, and corporate finance and public capital markets transactions for China-focused companies.
Represented Beijing e-Town Dragon Semiconductor Industry Investment Center in its $300 million acquisition of Mattson Technology, a U.S.-based, publicly traded semiconductor equipment company.
Represented a consortium of private and state-owned investors in the $500 million acquisition of Analogix, a California semiconductor company.
Advised the Lenovo Group in its acquisition of business units from—and a joint venture with—EMC.
- Represented Tyco International in its acquisition of a major Chinese fire protection and security company.
- Representation of underwriters in U.S. public equity capital market transactions involving Chinese companies
- Representation of Tele Atlas, the Dutch digital mapping company, in its expansion into the PRC market
- The negotiation of a $1 billion joint venture for the manufacture of flat-panel displays in China
- The acquisition of a specialty chemicals company in China for a U.S. public company headquartered in the Midwest
- The roll-up of social media and internet file-sharing companies for a private-equity backed U.S. company
- Representation of Ingram Micro in several international acquisitions
- Representation of investment banks and hedge funds in analysis and evaluation of PRC investments.
Led a team that closed $1 billion+ of U.S. public equity capital market financings for more than 25 Chinese companies traded on U.S. markets.
Led the multidisciplinary team of Pillsbury lawyers that assisted Lenovo in partnering with EMC and negotiating several transactions that won M&A Advisor’s 2012 “Deal of the Year” award.
Serves on several U.S.-China business association boards; frequently speaks, writes and provides insight and commentary to reporters covering China’s policies on digital media services, online publishing and internet technology.
- “Going-Private Transactions by Chinese Companies,” Stifel Nicolaus Weisel Conference, July 2015.
- “Chinese Real Estate Developers in the U.S.,” 2015 CEA Real Estate Investment Forum, San Francisco 2015.
- “Guidance for pre-IPO Chinese Companies” Shanghai, 2015.
- “Best Practices for Chinese Companies Who Are Now Public in the United States,” Beijing, 2014.
- "China's Recent M&A in California,” 2014 CEA China-California Economic Forum, September 2014.
- "10 Biggest Mistakes Made by Multinationals Dealing with China and Other Asian Countries," 2014 Asia Business Forum, February 2014.
- Executive Co-Chair, Perchance to Dream: A China-US Summit on Social Media, October 2013.
- "Protect Yourself: A Guide to China Legal Structures," China Market Entry Strategy Summit, September 2013.
- "Can the VIE Be Fixed: A Fresh Look at Investors' Least Favorite Legal Structure," 2013 China Best Ideas Investment Conference, September 2013.
- "Silicon Valley Experience," Stanford Senior Executive Program - Universal Banking and the Transformation and Innovation of the Banking Industry, August 2013.
- "Introduction to Internet Regulation in China," Pillsbury CLE Marathon, San Francisco and Silicon Valley, January 2013.
- "NOMURA Expert Speaker Series: Variable Interest Entities," July 2012.
- "PRC Challenges to Variable Interest Entity Structures," DealFlow Reverse Merger Conference, Los Angeles, June 2011.
- “The Peculiarities and Challenges of Doing Business in China,” McKesson Law Firm Summit, September 2010.
- Moderator, "Opportunities and Challenges of Investing in China," Halter Financial Summit, Shanghai, China. April 2010.
- "IPOs for China-based Companies - Structures and Approaches," China IPO Boot Camp, Shanghai, China. March 2010.
- "Going Public through an IPX," joint presentation with BNY Mellon and CCG Investor Relations, Shanghai and Beijing, April 2009.
- "Reverse Mergers for Chinese Companies," PIPEs Summit, New York. July 2007.
- "Structuring for International Capital Transactions," DealFlow Reverse Merger Conference, San Francisco. June 2007.
- "Structuring Reverse Merger Transactions after September 8," Roth / NASDAQ Conference, Shanghai. May 2007.
- Harvard China Review Annual Conference, Cambridge, MA. April 2007.
- "Protecting Intellectual Property in China," Annual IP Review, New York. April 2007.
- "Compliance Issues for Chinese Companies Public in the U.S.," Halter Financial Group, Phuket, Thailand. March 2007.
- "Legal and Practical Considerations for China M&A," Shanghai. September 2004.
- Executive Roundtable on Foreign Trade and Distribution Regulation, Shanghai. June 2004.
- Chair, "China Real Estate Funds & Investment 2004," Shanghai. April 6, 2004.
- "Venture Capital Financing in China," Asia Pacific Business Outlook Conference, Los Angeles. March 2004.
- "Mezzanine Financing for Real Estate Development in China," American Chamber of Commerce, Shanghai. November 2003.
- 2003 Forbes Global CEO Conference, Shanghai: "Banking and Capital Markets in China." September 2003.
- Financial Executives International Conference, Suzhou: "Sarbanes Oxley—What Financial Officers of Foreign Subsidiaries Need to Know," September 2003.
J.D., Harvard Law School, 1979
cum laude, Member, Harvard International Law Journal
A.B., Princeton University, 1976
magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, concentration in East Asian Studies