Peter Gillon has achieved national recognition for his experience in representing major corporate policyholders—from airlines to energy companies—in their dealings with insurance companies, both in claims disputes, and in transactions, such as insurance placement or structuring liability transfers. Mr. Gillon co-leads the law firm’s Insurance Recovery and Advisory practice, which was named one of the top five insurance coverage practices in the U.S. by Insurance Law360. He was recently recognized by his peers as one of the “Ten Most Admired Attorneys” in the area of insurance coverage.
Mr. Gillon's significant representations include litigation of United Airlines' business interruption claims arising from the 9/11 terrorist attacks, negotiating an energy company's precedent-setting D&O insurance settlement of coverage claims arising from multi-billion dollar securities class actions, and serving as coverage counsel to one of the owners of the Macondo well in connection with the Deepwater Horizon disaster. He regularly represents public companies and their boards in connection with securities litigation, derivative lawsuits, M&A related litigation and enforcement matters.
Areas of Concentration
- Insurance coverage litigation involving all major lines, including executive liability (D&O, fiduciary, fidelity, EPLI), disaster-related property and business interruption losses, and pollution liability
- Negotiation of insurance coverage, including environmental risk transfer
- Advising companies on coverage needs, terms and conditions
- Environmental risk management in real estate transactions, bankruptcy
- Chambers USA, Insurance: Policyholder (2016)
- 10 Most Admired Insurance Attorneys, Insurance Law360 (2010)
- "D&O Litigation Trends," Aon FSG Conference, Jan. 23, 2015
- "Flag Down: When D&O Coverage Issues Complicate Settlement Plays," PLUS D&O Symposium, Jan. 28, 2014
- "Planning for the Next Disaster: Insurance Concerns in the Wake of Sandy," Pillsbury CLE Marathon, Feb. 28, 2013
- "When Markets Shift: The Challenging Market for Catastrophic Insurance Coverage," Pillsbury Webinar, April 26, 2012
- "Cybersecurity: Mitigating Risk," Pillsbury seminar, March 29, 2012
- "Insurance Issues in the Face of Natural Disasters," Crisis Management Scenarios and Solutions Presentation, Oct. 4, 2011
- "Managing the Liability Exposure of Directors," Directors' Institute, April 9, 2010
- "Disclosures of Climate Change Impacts: A Look at the SEC's Recent Ruling," Association of Climate Change Officers Webinar, Feb. 22, 2010
- “Ten D&O Policy Enhancements You Should Ask for in 2010,” 15th Annual Advanced Forum on D&O Liability, Dec. 1, 2009
- “Talking to the Board in a Time of Uncertainty,” PLUS D&O Conference, Feb. 25, 2009
- “Ten D&O Policy Enhancements You Should Ask for in 2009,” RIMS Virtual Conference & Expo, Nov. 13, 2008
- “Key D&O Enhancements to Consider for 2008-2009,” Directors' Education Institute, Duke University, Sept. 24, 2008
- “The Challenges of Climate Change and the Risks to Directors and Officers,” Directors' Education Institute, Duke University, Sept. 24, 2008
- “Ten D&O Policy Enhancements You Should Ask for in 2008,” RIMS Annual Conference, April 27, 2008
- “Ten Critical Updates on Your D&O Coverage,” Directors' Education Institute, Duke University, Nov. 7, 2007
- “When Risk Becomes Reality: Handling Claims Under Environmental Policies,” National Brownfield Association Annual Meeting, October 16, 2007.
- “Non-Traditional Risk Transfer Options,” Mealey's 5th Annual Advanced Insurance Conference, Jan. 22, 2007.
- “Disaster Preparedness: How to Plan and React to a Catastrophic Event,” Mealey's Catastrophic Loss Conference, May 9, 2006.
- “Catastrophic Claims Issues,” Mealey's Hurricane and Natural Disaster Teleconference, March 3, 2006
- “D&O Policy Provisions and Their Impact on Claims,” PLUS D&O Symposium, Feb. 1, 2006
- "NY Curtails The Phantom 'Restitution Defense' To D&O," Law360, July 2013
- "Case Overview: Lessons from the Great Fire of 1906," December 2010
- “An Inconvenient Suit: Why Global Warming Should Concern Directors and Officers,” January 2007
- “Securities Claims Coverage Under Director's And Officer's Liability Policy--Less Than Meets the Eye?” Mealey's Emerging Insurance Disputes, co-author with Tab Turano, December 2006
- “When Disaster Strikes: Are you Sure that Your Business is Adequately Insured?”, Directors & Boards, co-author with Brian Friel, Spring 2006.
- Monthly column, “The Jaundiced View,” Brownfield News magazine (2001-2007)
Associate Editor, The Tax Lawyer
magna cum laude