Blog Post 01.30.20
The rule of law is invaluable, and it sets aside our society from many others. However, it can be very complex, and I think one of our basic jobs is to preserve the safeguards of the rule of law while cutting through often needless complexity.
Anthony B. Cavender provides guidance and counseling relating to enforcement and compliance. He has represented clients in Superfund matters, and in RCRA and Clean Water Act enforcement proceedings.
Tony is a Senior Counsel in the firm’s Houston office and a member of the Environmental & Natural Resources practice section. His practice focuses on the Clean Water Act, the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act and Superfund. Before joining Pillsbury, Tony was a member of the legal department of Pennzoil Co., specializing in these areas as well as general corporate legal matters. He served on various energy industry committees and trade associations.
- Represented clients in Clean Water Act and RCRA enforcement actions.
- Has served as the chair of a Superfund PRP Group Steering Committee, and in other capacities.
- Served as the chairman of the Environmental Law Section of the Houston Bar Association.
- Served as the chairman of the Environmental Law Subcommittee of the Texas Oil and Gas Association.
- Has written extensively on environmental law, the energy industry, trade associations, and other matters.
- Served in the U.S. Army’s Judge Advocate General’s Corps for several years, on active duty and in the reserves. Tony maintains a strong interest in providing legal assistance to military members, veterans and their families.
- Prior to joining Pennzoil, Tony was a member of the Cable Television Bureau of the Federal Communications Commission, involved in enforcement and rulemaking activities.
- External Publications
- "Supreme Court Revisits and Revises ‘Auer Deference’ with Implications for Environmental Law," EM, February 2020. Co-author.
- "2016 Environmental Case Law Highlights," Law360:
- Part 1
- Part 2
- Part 3
- Speaking Engagements
- “Best Practices for Facility Preparedness and Risk Mitigation,” 30th Annual Texas Environmental Superconference, Austin, TX, August 3, 2018
- “How the Camp Logan Incident Changed the Face of Military Law,” University of Houston African American Studies, August 23, 2017
- “Environmental Regulations that have been Revoked, Stayed, or Postponed by the New Administration,” Texas Oil & Gas Association, Austin, TX, June 15, 2017
- Houston Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Judge Advocates Association
- American Inns of Court
- State Bar of Texas
LL.B., The University of Texas School of Law, 1964
B.A., The University of Texas at Austin, 1963
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
U.S. Supreme Court