Thought Leadership 11.07.18
Gerry has many strengths, but is most valued for his ability to provide strategic counsel as well as legal advice and is very creative and easy to work with.
Gerry Hinkley, Pillsbury’s Health Care industry team chair, is regularly recognized by Chambers USA and Best Lawyers for health care law-related work.
Gerry counsels hospitals and physician organizations regarding management of legal affairs, governance, regulatory compliance, reimbursement, capital finance, joint ventures and clinic development. He advises health information exchanges regarding governance, privacy, tax-exemption, user participation, consent and risk management. Serving as outside counsel to health care organizations, Gerry is responsible for corporate law and board governance matters. A leader in the health IT field, he has extensive experience in procurement, licensing, service arrangements and dispute resolution.
Advised an academic medical center on the formation of a pediatric physician network that included more than 200 pediatricians and pediatric subspecialists.
Developed a legal framework for a national medical second opinion internet company.
Structured nine joint ventures to establish a hospital-to-hospital specialty service network for an academic medical center and community health systems.
Formation of regional clinic systems for hospital systems
Establishment of health information exchange organizations
Organization of skilled nursing care outsourcing program for hospital system
Acquisitions of physician practices by hospital affiliated medical foundations
Recognized by Best Lawyers, Chambers USA, Euromoney’s Best of the Best USA and Super Lawyers in health care law and by The Legal 500 U.S. for Data Protection and Privacy.
Presented “Business Associate Obligations and Agreements: Aftermath of the HIPAA Omnibus Rule” at an October 2016 webinar hosted by Lorman Education Services.
Chaired the Legal Task Force of the Health Information Management Systems Society (2011 – 2015).
- Member, Board of Directors, Ronald McDonald House Charities – Bay Area (2018)
- Chair, Legal Task Force, Health Information Management Systems Society, 2011-2015
- Markle Connecting for Health Steering Group, 2006-2012
- eHealth Initiative Leadership Council, 2008-2013
- Founder, Bay Area Health Care Breakfast Club
- Speaking Engagements
- “Structuring Business Associate Agreements for Covered Entities and Business Associates,” Strafford Webinar, December 21, 2015
- “The Privacy & Security Forum,” HIMSS, Boston, MA, December 1-3, 2015
- “Challenges Working With, or Being, A HIPAA Business Associate,” HIMSS 2015, Chicago, IL, April 14, 2015
- "Cross Border Concerns: Cybersecurity, Data Ownership & EU/US Privacy Regulations,” mHealth Summit, National Harbor, MD, December 8-10, 2014
- “The Privacy & Security Forum,” HIMSS, San Diego, CA, June 16-17, 2014
- Health Evolution Partners – Leadership Summit 2014, Dana Point, CA, April 30-May 2, 2014
- “Health Care Industry Session,” RIMS 2014 Annual Conference & Exhibition, Denver, CO, April 29, 2014
- “Innovative Pediatric Hospital/Provider and Payer Partnerships,” American Health Lawyers Association’s Webinar, March 3, 2014
- "Developments and Trends in Patient Privacy," HIMSS 14 Annual Conference & Exhibition, Orlando, FL, February 26, 2014
- "Impact of Health Care Reform on Health Care Providers,” Lorman Education Services Webinar, September 19, 2013
- "Business Associate Obligations and Agreements after HIPAA Omnibus Rule," Lorman Education Services Webinar, September 10, 2013
- “Policy/Privacy Issues in the Era of Big Data & Analytics,” 2013 National Forum on Data & Analytics in Healthcare, August 2, 2013
- "Cybersecurity in the Health Care Sector: HIPAA Responsibilities from a Legal and Compliance Perspective," Pillsbury Privacy Webinar, July 23, 2013
- “The Final Omnibus Privacy Rule and Proposed Accounting of Disclosures Rule: Analysis, Implementation and Predictions," Health Care Privacy and Security Forum, May 22, 2013
- Health Evolution Partners – Leadership Summit 2013, May 15-17, 2013
- “Developments and Trends in Patient Privacy,” HIMMS Annual Meetings, March 4, 2013
- "Is Your Company Ready? Legal and Privacy Implications of the HIPAA Final Omnibus Rule," Pillsbury Privacy Webinar, February 19, 2013
- Event Co-Chair, ACI Healthcare Information Privacy and Security Forum, December 6-7, 2012, Philadelphia
- “The Final Omnibus Privacy Rule and Proposed Accounting and Disclosure Rule: Predictions, Analysis and Implementation,” Health Care Privacy and Security Forum, Thursday, December 6, 2012
- "Planning for and Responding to a Health Information Data Breach," Thursday, July 12, 2012
- "Effective Handling of Breach Notifications," HIMSS Virtual Event, March, 28, 2012
- Event Co-Chair, ACI Healthcare Information Privacy and Security Forum, December 5-6, 2011, Philadelphia
- TiEcon 2011, Santa Clara County Convention Center, May 14, 2011, "The Coming Decade: Opportunities Created by the Connected and Informed Patient and Provider"
- "ACO Health Information Technology," The IPA Association of America 16th Annual National Meeting, San Antonio, TX, March 31 & April 1, 2011
- "New Patient Privacy and Consent Standards for a Connected World," HIMSS Annual Conference & Exhibition, Orlando, FL, February 20-24, 2011
- "State Activity Perspective," HIMSS Annual Conference & Exhibition, Orlando, FL, February 20-24, 2011
- Honors & Awards
- Chambers USA, Healthcare: Transactional—National (2014-2016), Healthcare—California (2005-2016)
- Legal 500 U.S., Data Protection and Privacy (2011-2014)
- Best of the Best USA, Healthcare, Euromoney/Legal Media Group (2011-2015)
- Super Lawyers (2005-2015)
- Best Lawyers in America, Health Care Law (2007-2017)
J.D., University of California, Hastings College of the Law, 1975
B.A., University of California, Santa Barbara, 1971