Jennifer knows the code and practice area inside out … she does a great job of reading a family’s prevailing attitude and leaning, and applies a plan accordingly.
Pillsbury partner Jennifer Jordan McCall chairs the Estates, Trusts & Tax Planning practice and is a leading authority on U.S. and international gift and estate planning.
Jenny has been recognized by Chambers for the National, Western and Northern California Regions and by Best Lawyers and Super Lawyers in California and New York. She has been named 2019 International Global Business Award’s Trusts & Estates Lawyer of the Year – USA, as well as Wealth Management Lawyer of the Year in California by Corporate INTL (2017-2019), Global 100 (2018), and M&A Today (2017-2018).
She is based in the Silicon Valley, New York and Palm Beach offices and represents private clients. Jenny is admitted to practice law in California, Florida and New York.
Jenny crafts tax-savings business succession and estate transfer plans that preserve wealth and enhance family relationships. Her clients include internationally renowned museums and corporations, charities, foundations, high net worth families and individuals, fiduciaries and nonprofits. Jenny’s experience includes complex trust and estate administration and litigation; gift and generation-skipping transfer taxes; spousal rights of election and rights of adopted children; endowments; and tax aspects related to disposition of corporate holdings and financial transactions.
Jenny is a Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (“ACTEC”), where she serves as a member of the International Tax Planning and Estate and Gift Tax committees. She has lectured extensively and conducts seminars on estate and tax planning.
- Advised the owner of hedge funds and private equity funds on establishing a long-term tax-exempt trust for his descendants that appreciated to billions of dollars and saved hundreds of millions of dollars in transfer tax.
- Represented a family with multiple trusts and generations in resolving complex financial and family issues while preserving the trusts for the protection of the family beneficiaries.
- Advised the owner of a valuable real estate business on tax-saving strategies, transferring the business to younger generations and charitable components.
- Selected by peers for membership in the prestigious American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC).
- Recognized in every jurisdiction in which she practices by numerous publications, including Chambers USA, Chambers High Net Worth Guide, Euromoney, PLC Which Lawyer? and Super Lawyers.
Selected as Co-Chair for the Princeton University Planned Giving Committee.
- Noted among “Top Attorneys” in Northern California by San Francisco magazine and in the New York metro area by The New York Times.
- “U.S.—California,” and “Federal—New York,” chapters, PLC Private Client Handbook 2009 – 2017.
- “Wealth Preservation: An Introduction to United States Transfer Taxes and Estate Planning Techniques," 2018.
- “Plan for Transfer of Closely Held Business,” New York Law Journal, 2000.
- “Estate Planning for Authors and Artists,” Tax Management Portfolio, 1998. Co-author.
- Speaking Engagements
- “Updating Estate Plans After Tax Reform: Maximizing Basis and Minimizing Income Taxes,” Strafford Publications, Webinar (May 21, 2019)
“Estate Planning and Tax Reform: Wealth Transfer Strategies under the New Tax Law,” Strafford Publications, Webinar (February 5, 2019)
“US Tax Reform,” BNY Tax and Regulatory Forum, London (January 31, 2019)
- “US Reform – Impact on the Private Wealth Industry,” STEP Asia Conference 2018, Hong Kong, China (November 21, 2018)
- “Tax and Legacy Planning for Tigers,” Princeton University, New York, NY (October 22, 2018)
- "Issues Confronting International Clients Investing in the United States," Northern Trust, New York, NY (July 17, 2018)
- "Taxing times: What You Need to Know About Tax Return," Princeton University, Princeton, NJ (June 2, 2018)
- "Some Issues Confronting International Clients Investing in the United States," East West Bank, Palo Alto, CA (May 2, 2018)
- "Some Issues Confronting International Clients Investing in the United States," East West Bank, Beverly Hills, CA (May 1, 2018)
- "Effects of new US Tax and for Inbound Investment," Hong Kong, China (March 14, 2018)
- "Tales from the Dark Side: Watch Your Back!," STEP Conference 2017, Jackson Hole, WY (September 19, 2017)
- "Recent Developments and Estate and Tax Planning Opportunities" The Hedge Fund Forum, Hong Kong, China (Feb. 24, 2017)
- "Estate and Tax Planning Opportunities and Recent Developments," The Economic Forum, Palm Beach, FL (February 13, 2017)
- "Blue Pointe Wealth Management Bootcamp for Women," Menlo Park, CA (November 17, 2016)
- "Optimal Tax and Trust Planning Ideas for Investment in Real Property and other Assets by Non-Residents in the U.S.", Afternoon Tea, Trusts and Tax luncheon, Hong Kong, China (October 31, 2016)
- "The Art of Estate Planning with Art Collections," The O'Hare Group's Strategic Portfolios Luncheon Series: Art as an Asset Class, Palm Beach, FL (March 9, 2016)
- "Family Owned Business Issues In Divorce," Expert Webcast (January 14, 2016)
- "Your Online Legacy: Estate Planning in the Digital Age," Princeton University, Princeton, NJ (June 26, 2015)
- "The Art of Estate Planning with Art Collections," The Society of the Four Arts, Palm Beach, FL (January 26, 2015)
- "Current Estate and Tax Planning Opportunities for Pre-Liquidity Planning, Low Interest Rate Environment, and Favorable Current Tax Rates and Exemptions," Women's Entrepreneurs Workshop, Menlo Park, CA (February 29, 2012)
- "Top Ten Estate and Tax Planning Opportunities for Year End 2010," Citi Private Bank – 2010 Year End Tax Planning, Menlo Park, CA (December 8, 2010)
- "Top Ten Estate and Tax Planning Opportunities for Year End 2010," BNY Wealth Management Luncheon – Insights Into Estate Planning, Menlo Park, CA (December 3, 2010)
- "Top Ten Estate and Tax Planning Opportunities for Year End 2010," Bank of the West Economic & Investment Outlook Luncheon, Pasadena, CA (November 18, 2010)
- "Estate Planning in Uncertain Times," Conference on Charitable Giving 2010, Palo Alto, CA (May 11, 2010)
- "Families That Successfully Manage Relationships As Well As Wealth," A Princeton Precept Conversations about Family, Wealth and Philanthropy, San Francisco, CA (May 6 and 7, 2010)
- "Pre-IPO Estate and Tax Planning Strategy: How to Maximize the Benefit of a Liquidity Event," 2009 Liquidity Summit, Menlo Park, CA (December 10, 2009)
- "Wealth Preservation: Wealth Planning in a Changed World," Wealth Management Conference West Coast, Half Moon Bay, CA (November 20, 2009)
- "Watch Out, It Could be a Skip! Practical Tips and Common GSTT Pitfalls in Planning and Administration," 2009 Annual Meeting of the California Tax Bar & California Tax Policy Conference, San Diego, CA (November 13, 2009)
- "Opportunities in the Economic Climate for Savvy Estate, Tax & Corporate Succession Planning," Backstage Pass, Palo Alto, CA (June 11, 2009)
- "Inheritance, Wills, Trusts and Much More," New York, NY (November 8, 2007)
- "Top 10 Wealth & Estate Management Ideas," Women of Wealth, hosted by Lehman Brothers, San Francisco, CA (March 2007)
- "Estate and Tax Planning for High Net Worth Individuals," hosted by Morgan Stanley, San Francisco, CA (October 2006)
- "Building a Family Legacy Using Trusts," Conference for the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA), San Diego, CA (July 26, 2006)
- "Charitable Gifts of Artwork and Other Planning Techniques for Collectibles," hosted by Neuberger Berman, San Francisco, CA (June 29, 2006)
- "Charitable Gifts of Artwork and Other Planning Techniques for Collectibles," 2006 Stanford Conference on Charitable Giving, Stanford, CA (May 17, 2006)
- "Wealth Management Strategies for Liquidity Events," presented at Pillsbury, in conjunction with UBS Financial Services Inc. and Berger/Lewis Accountancy Corporation, Palo Alto, CA (May 3, 2006)
- "Wealth Management Strategies for Real Estate Owners," hosted by The Private Bank of the Peninsula, Palo Alto, CA (April 26, 2006)
- "A Select Sampling of Advanced Estate Planning Strategies," hosted by Morgan Stanley, San Francisco, CA (March 21, 2006)
- "Estate Planning Seminar on Gift and Estate Taxes, Gift and Split Gifts, Charitable Gifts, Charitable Trusts and Family Limited Partnerships," Fiduciary Trust International of California, San Mateo, CA (June 29, 2004)
- "Estate Planning Seminar on Types of Property in California, Forms of Property Ownership, Forms of Joint Ownership and Wills and Living Trusts," Fiduciary Trust International of California, San Mateo, CA (June 1, 2004)
- "Recent Legislative Developments Regarding the Estate, Gift and Generation-Skipping Transfer Taxes: Where Do We Stand and Where Are We Going?," NMS Family Office Forum: Challenges in Wealth Management, Palm Beach, FL (February 24, 2004)
- "Art: Investing Today and Planning for Tomorrow," presented in conjunction with the Citigroup Private Bank and the Citigroup Art Advisory Service, hosted by NetJets, Denver, CO (October 12, 2003)
- "Art: Investing Today and Planning for Tomorrow," presented in conjunction with The Citigroup Private Bank Art Advisory Service at the Orange County Estate Planning Council, Newport Beach, CA (September 24, 2002)
- "Art: Investing Today and Planning for Tomorrow," presented in conjunction with The Citigroup Private Bank Art Advisory Service at the San Jose Museum of Art (September 23, 2002)
- "Strategic International and U.S. Planning for Collectors of Fine Art and Other High Net Worth Individuals," Institute for International Research, Miami, FL (January 22 and 23, 2001)
- Honors & Awards
- International Global Business Awards, Trusts & Estates Lawyer of the Year – USA (2019).
Citywealth Powerwomen Awards, Top Female Advisor in the US, finalist (2019).
- Global 100, Global Awards, Wealth Management Lawyer of the Year, California, USA (2018).
- M&A Today, Global Awards, Wealth Management Lawyer of the Year, California, USA (2017 and 2018).
- Corporate INTL, Global Awards, Wealth Management Lawyer of the Year (2017 - 2019).
- Chambers USA, Wealth Management—National (2006 – 2016), Wealth Management—Western Region (2017).
- Chambers High Net Worth Guide, Private Wealth—Northern California & Western Region USA (2016 and 2017).
- New York Times, Top Attorneys in Metro New York (2015).
- PLC Which Lawyer?, Private Clients—National (2009, 2011 – 2012).
- Guide to the World's Leading Trusts & Estates Lawyers, Euromoney/Legal Media Group (2010-2011).
- Law Firm of the Year in Trusts & Estates Law (2013).
- Super Lawyers, Top Women in Northern California (2016 - 2018).
- Super Lawyers, “Top Rated Lawyer” New York Metro (2006-2011; 2014-2018).
- Fellow, The American College of Trust and Estate Counsel.
- Trustee and Secretary of the Board of Trustees, San Francisco Ballet Association.
- Chair of the Board of Trustees, President and Founder, The Baker Institute for Children with Hearing Loss.
LL.M., New York University School of Law, 1988
J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 1982
B.A., Princeton University, 1978