Press Releases 03.22.17
Mark Elliott leads Pillsbury’s Environmental & Natural Resources team and maintains a multifaceted practice handling environmental compliance matters, litigation and administrative proceedings.
Mark focuses on litigation, enforcement, regulation and emergency response pertaining to hazardous materials, soil, water and air quality. He litigates federal and state actions involving Superfund, Solid Waste Disposal Act, toxic torts, Proposition 65, Clean Water Act, Clean Air Act, CEQA, TSCA, commercial matters and common law property contamination claims, and defends administrative, civil and criminal environmental actions. Mark’s regulatory compliance experience includes site remediation, EPCRA/CERCLA release reporting, hazardous material transportation, TSCA, RCRA, FIFRA and CalARP/RMP.
Defended the Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District in a TSCA citizen suit action arising from potential PCBs in building materials.
Prosecuted CERCLA actions against the United States stemming from perchlorate contamination at defense contracting sites.
Defended Teck Metals Ltd. in a CERCLA action addressing the historic metals contamination of 150 miles of the Columbia River.
- Defended OfficeMax in a CERCLA action arising from historic lumber mill activities.
- Defended the City of Rialto in the Regional Board and CERCLA actions involving the Rialto Colton Basin perchlorate contamination.
- Prosecuted the South Coast Air Quality Management District for promulgation of preempted regulation of rail activities.
- Defended United Pacific Railroad in a RCRA action alleging improper disposal of solid waste from vehicle emissions.
- Defended The Vendo Company in the FMC CERCLA action in the California Central Valley.
Recognized by Best Lawyers for Environmental Law (2013 – 2016).
Presented “Unpacking the Future Implications of Recent Developments in Environmental Law – Water, Air & Toxics” at the L.A. County Bar Association’s 14th Annual Environmental Law Symposium in November 2015.
Featured panelist at the prestigious 23rd Annual Environmental Law Conference at Yosemite in 2014.
- Honors & Awards
- The Legal 500 U.S., Litigation: Environment (2010)
- Who's Who in LA Law, Environmental Law, Los Angeles Business Journal (2008)
- Los Angeles County Bar Association (Environmental Law section)
- Speaking Engagements
- "Unpacking the Future Implications of Recent Developments in Environmental Law – Water, Air & Toxics, and CERCLA," L.A. County Bar Association, 14th Annual Environmental Law Fall Symposium, November 2015.
- "Lessons Learned from Working with Environmental Consultants: Helpful Tips and How to Avoid the Traps on Your Next Project or Case," L.A. County Bar Association, November 2015.
- Principles of Crisis Management from a Legal Perspective, Webinar, March 3, 2015.
- "CERCLA Update," California Bar Association, Environmental Law Conference, October 2014.
- "Environmental Law for County Counsel," California County Counsel Conference, June 2014.
- "Global Climate Change," University of California Hastings College of Law, November 19, 2009 & January 14, 2010.
- "The Rise of Recycling: Federal and State Regulation and the Realities of Recycling," Retail Industry Leaders Association, Environmental Sustainability & Compliance Conference, September 2008.
- "Use and Introduction of Expert Evidence in California & Federal Court Climate Change LitigationEnvironmental," Mass Torts and Products Liability Litigation Committees Joint CLE Seminar, April 2008.
- "Use and Introduction of Expert Evidence in California & Federal Court Climate Change Litigation," CLE International, Climate Change Law Conference, February 2008.
- "Order in the Court! A Judge’s Perspective on Managing Environmental Cases," L.A. County Bar Association, June 2007.
J.D., University of California, Hastings College of the Law, 1991
B.A., University of California, Los Angeles, 1988
Certification in Hazardous Materials Management from University of California, Los Angeles, 1993
California State Courts
U.S. District Courts of California