Press Release 05.26.17
The 'incredibly sharp' Michael Kosnitzky is an 'excellent tax lawyer,' and is seen as a 'consummate adviser' from both 'a business and tax point of view.' He is routinely engaged by a range of private individual and large corporate clients.
Mike Kosnitzky advises some of the world’s most well-respected individuals, families and privately held businesses, using a holistic risk-assessment approach to tax law.
Mike is recognized as a Trust and Estates Trailblazer by the National Law Journal for his focus on where IRS policy is going and not where the particular policy is today.
His tax-minimizing strategies guide financial and strategic buyers in complex taxable and tax-free mergers and acquisitions; privately held businesses in estate tax efficient succession planning; private investment funds in their choice of jurisdictions and structures; wealthy families in generational real estate income tax and estate tax planning; and ultra-high net worth individuals in U.S. and foreign trust matters.
Advised Wynn Resorts Limited on tax planning related to its international tax structure.
Advised Caithness Energy LLC in domestic partnership matters.
Advised Viking River Cruises on international tax structure planning.
- Advised Paloma International L.P. on succession planning and a restructuring.
- Advised Goldman Sachs on tax planning for investment in The Weinstein Company LLC.
- Advised EG Capital Group LLC in acquisition, auction and sale of WaterPik.
- Advised The Yankees Entertainment and Sports (YES) Network on domestic partnership matters and a leveraged recapitalization.
- Advised Tanger Factory Outlet Centers Inc. in various REIT tax-related matters.
- Advised Bradford Capital on the sale of an electronic equipment manufacturer to Honeywell International Inc., and a corporate restructuring.
- Advised Imagine Entertainment, a production company founded by Ron Howard and Brian Grazer, in restructuring various businesses divisions.
- Advised Tudor Investment Corporation in fund formation and transactional matters.
- Advised C.V. Starr & Co. in foreign tax and transactional matters.
- Advised Miami Association of REALTORS, the largest realtors association in the United States, in various acquisitions of other tax-exempt realtors associations.
- Advised TaubCo on planning for condominium development.
- Advised Capstone Wealth Management on its acquisition by Citrin Cooperman.
- Advised Vontobel Holding AG in various domestic and international tax matters.
- Advised River Break Distributing LP on tax planning for the development and operation of its cannabis distribution and logistics business.
- Advised The New Jersey Devils in sale of team to a group led by Joshua Harris and David Blitzer.
- Advised an investor group in acquisition of the Florida Panthers NHL hockey team.
National Law Journal’s “Trust and Estates Trailblazer”
Past Chair of the University of Miami Jackson Memorial Hospital/Public Health Trust of Miami-Dade County, FL
Past Chair of the American Bar Association's National Conference of Lawyers and CPAs
- Member of the Orange Bowl Committee
- Member of the Big Apple/Metro New York and Aspen, CO, Chapters of YPO Gold
- Pro bono general counsel to the Florida Association of Nonprofit Organizations (FANO)
- Member of the Adjunct Tax Faculty at the University of Miami School of Law Graduate Tax Program
- Member of the Friars Club of New York City
- Recognized as one of the nation’s most respected and creative tax lawyers by multiple publications including Chambers USA, Best Lawyers and Super Lawyers
- Four-time recipient of the Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants Outstanding Lecturer Award
- Founder and former Next Generation President of the Miami Jewish Home and Hospital for the Aged
- Past Chair of the Miami Parking System (a.k.a. the Miami Parking Authority)
- Past Chair of the Epilepsy Foundation of South Florida
- Co-author of two well-regarded tax treatises in the areas of S Corporations: The S Corporation: Planning & Operation, Wolters Kluwer Law & Business formerly/Panel Publishers Inc., 2014, and Consolidated Tax Returns, CCH Expert Treatise Library: Taxation of Corporations Filing Consolidated Tax Returns, CCH Incorporated, 2014.
- Teaches International Taxation as an Adjunct Faculty member at Pericles Law School in Moscow
- Lecturer for the University of Miami, the Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Morgan Stanley’s Wealth Management National Wealth Planning Directors, the Mortgage Bankers Association of New York, the American Arbitration Association and the American Health Lawyers Association
- Contributor to WORTH magazine
- Prior recipient of the Nancy Hughes Award given to the Miami community leader and policy maker of the year during Miami-Dade Days in Tallahassee
- Prior recipient of the Lawton Chiles Humanitarian Award from the Florida Association of Nonprofit Organizations
- Prior recipient of the Humanitarian of the Year Award from the Epilepsy Foundation of South Florida
- Prior recipient of the South Florida Magazine/Price Waterhouse Up and Comers Award
- Prior recipient of a Leadership Award from the Association of African-American Clergy and Professionals
- Prior recipient of an Outstanding Committee Award from the Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants, and Distinguished Service Awards from the Greater Biscayne Boulevard Chamber of Commerce and City of Miami
- Inductee to the Miami Dade College Hall of Fame
J.D., University of Miami School of Law, 1984
magna cum laude; Graduated First in Class, Wesley Alba Sturges Award
B.B.A., Accounting, University of Miami, 1979
magna cum laude
District of Columbia