Media Coverage 02.08.23
Allison M. Leopold Tilley
Partner, Silicon Valley
Allison Leopold Tilley, co-leader of Pillsbury's Mergers & Acquisitions and Private Equity practices, is named one of the top “Women Leaders in Tech Law” by The Recorder for six consecutive years and hailed as the Technology “Dealmaker of the Year” by The Deal. Based in Silicon Valley, Allison advises technology companies, including on their formation, venture capital financings, multibillion-dollar M&As, public offerings, securities transactions, SPAC transactions and board governance.
Repeatedly recognized by Best Lawyers (published by BL Rankings LLC), Allison represents startups, emerging growth entities, venture capital firms, entrepreneurs and multinational public companies regarding a wide range of corporate matters. As counsel to both acquirers and target companies, she has closed multiple billions of dollars in M&A deals for technology companies and has acted as lead counsel on over 70 mergers and acquisitions valued at more than $40 billion in the aggregate. Allison also advises on private placements, public offerings, SPACs, venture funds and joint ventures, and general corporate transactions. Allison serves on Pillsbury’s Managing Board and is on the Board of Danimer Scientific (NASDAQ: DNMR).
Allison regularly provides guidance on legislative developments in California, Nasdaq and beyond that are helping to drive progress in corporate board diversity, and to help raise expectations for corporate diversity, equity and inclusion, and recently shared her insights into diversity initiatives and the benefits of diverse boards as part of Pillsbury’s Director Advisory Resources miniseries.
- Represents TD SYNNEX Corporation in its M&A, governance and Securities Act of 1934 matters, and more recently its spin-off of Concentrix and its merger with Tech Data Corporation, a portfolio company of Apollo Global Management Inc., for $7.2 billion.
- Represented Barefoot Networks in its formation, financings, day-to-day corporate work, and more recently its acquisition by Intel Corporation.
- Represents numerous private companies including Robin Systems, VirSec Systems and SambaNova Systems in their financings and day-to-day corporate work, and most recently in Robin Systems’ $38 million Series C financing, VirSec Systems’ $100 million Series C financing, and SambaNova Systems’ $250 million Series C financing.
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Represented Movella Inc. in its business combination with special purpose acquisition company Pathfinder Acquisition Corp. and in definitive agreement to be publicly listed on the Nasdaq Stock Market (2023).
- Represented Concentrix Corporation in its acquisition of ServiceSource International, Inc. (2022).
- Represented Robin Systems, Inc. in its acquisition by Rakuten Symphony, Inc. (2022).
- Represented Concentrix Corporation in its acquisition of PK, and as part of the transaction, funds managed by global investment firm Carlyle will sell its majority stake in PK, an investment valued at approximately $1.6 billion (2021).
- Represented Oski Technology in its acquisition by NVIDIA (2021).
- Represented Inphi Corporation in its sale to Marvell Technology Group Ltd. for $10 billion, which was the third largest semiconductor deal and one of only two mega-deals that was led by women (2020).
- Represented Inphi Corporation in the acquisition of certain assets from Arrive Technologies (2020).
- Represented Awake Security, Inc. in its sale to Arista Networks, Inc. (2020).
- Represented Rancher Labs, Inc. in its sale to SUSE (2020).
- Represented Redpine Signals, Inc. in the sale of its wi-fi and bluetooth business, development center in Hyderabad, India and extensive patent portfolio to Silicon Labs for $308 million (2020).
- Represented Cavendish Kinetics, Inc. in its sale to Qorvo, Inc. (2019).
- Represented Barefoot Networks in its sale to Intel Corporation (2019).
- Represented Active-Semi International, Inc. in its sale to Qorvo, Inc. (2019).
- Represented Exari Group in its sale to Coupa Software Inc. (2019).
- Represented Inphi Corporation in its acquisition of eSilicon Corporation for $216 million (2019).
- Represented TD SYNNEX’s Concentrix Division in its acquisition of Convergys for $2.43 billion.
- Represented NetSpeed Systems, Inc. in its sale to Intel Corporation.
- Represented TD SYNNEX Corporation in its acquisition of Westcon-Comstor’s American operations from Datatec Ltd. for $800 million.
- Represented Skyhigh Networks, Inc. in its sale to McAfee.
- Represented InvenSense, Inc. in its sale to TDK Corp. for $1.3 billion.
- Represented Inphi Corporation in its acquisition of ClariPhy Communications for $275 million.
- Represented Concentrix, a subsidiary of TD SYNNEX Corporation, in its acquisition of India-based outsourcing firm Minacs for $420 million.
- Represented Ikanos Communications Inc. in its sale to Qualcomm Atheros, Inc. for $47.5 million.
- Represented Inphi Corporation in its acquisition of Cortina Systems, Inc. for $126 million.
- Represented Memoir Systems in its acquisition by Cisco Systems Inc.
- Represented TD SYNNEX Corporation in transactions including acquisitions of IBM’s CRM BPO Business for over $1.2 billion, Marubeni Infotec Corp., e4e (division), Aspire Technology Inc., Encover Inc. and New Age Electronics Inc.
- Represented WebEx Communications in its sale to Cisco Systems Inc. for $3.2 billion.
- Represented Mission West Properties in its sale to TPG Capital Inc. for $1.3 billion.
- Represented Nicira Inc. in its sale to VMware Inc. for $1.26 billion.
- Represented Zecca Holdings in its sale to TradeKing LLC.
- Represented Atheros Communications Inc. in its sale to Qualcomm for $3.1 billion.
- Represented Cloud.com in its sale to Citrix Systems Inc. for $192 million.
- Represented LitePoint Corporation in its sale to Teradyne for $510 million.
- Represented SiRF Technology Holdings in its acquisition of Centrality Communications Inc. for $283 million.
- Represented Improvement Direct Inc. in its sale to Wolseley Investments Acquisitions for $50 million.
- Represented PortalPlayer in its sale to NVIDIA Corporation for $357 million.
- Represented SiRF Technology in its acquisition of TrueSpan Inc.
- Securities and General Corporate Representation
- Allison has represented numerous public companies, including Concentrix, TD SYNNEX, Inphi, WebEx, InvenSense, Movella and Atheros, and represents numerous private companies, including Acorn, Atmosic Technologies, SambaNova Systems, Komprise, ePlant, VirSec Systems and GoFundMe.
- Venture Fund Representation
- Allison has represented numerous VC funds, including Walden International, Walden Catalyst, Mayfield Fund and Stereo Capital.
- Recognized by Chambers USA, Best Lawyers (published by BL Rankings LLC) (2013 – 2023), The Deal as Technology “Dealmaker of the Year” (2021), The Legal 500 U.S. (2011 – 2012, 2015, 2018 – 2019), Super Lawyers (2004 – 2008, 2011 – 2023), San Francisco Magazine, The Recorder, Silicon Valley/San Jose Business Journal, Daily Journal, San Jose Magazine and Lawdragon.
- Served on the Women in Law Empowerment Forum’s advisory board and the board of Ronald McDonald House at Stanford.
- Served on the board of FBR & Co. (Nasdaq: FBRC), a national provider of investment banking, merger and acquisition advisory, institutional brokerage and research services until their sale in 2017.
Honors & Awards
- “Top Women in Dealmaking” for M&A, The Deal (2022)
- Technology “Dealmaker of the Year” (large cap category), The Deal (2021)
- California’s Top Women’s Lawyers, Daily Journal (2019 and 2021)
- One of the “500 Leading Dealmakers in America,” Lawdragon (2021 and 2022)
- Northern California Super Lawyers (2004 – 2008, 2011 – 2023)
- Top Women Attorneys in Northern California, San Francisco Magazine (2014 and 2020)
- Best Lawyers (published by BL Rankings LLC), Corporate Law (2013 – 2022)
- The Legal 500 U.S., M&A: Middle Market (sub-$500 million) (2011 – 2012, 2015, 2019), Venture Capital and Emerging Companies (2012, 2015, 2018)
- Top U.S.A. Women Dealmakers, Global M&A Network (2019)
- Women Leaders in Law, The Recorder (2012 – 2017)
- Women of Influence, Silicon Valley/San Jose Business Journal (2011)
- Top 20 Lawyers Under 40, California, Daily Journal (2003)
- Top 300 Lawyers in Silicon Valley, San Jose Magazine
- Founder, Outsmart Brain Cancer
- American Bar Association
- Bar Association of Santa Clara
- “Tech M&A Trends in 2021,” Pillsbury and The Deal (June 15, 2021).
- “Board Diversity Series: Virtual Fireside Chat with Shellye Archambeau,” Pillsbury (April 21, 2021).
- “AAMA CFIUS 2021 Roundtable,” Pillsbury, AAMA, and Atlantic Bridge Capital (April 1, 2021).
- “2021 California CLE Marathon Webinars,” Pillsbury CLE Marathons in California (January 28, 2021).
- “Diversity on Boards: Examining Recent Legislation, Private Initiatives, and Impact on Board Bias Issues,” Pillsbury CLE (January 28, 2021).
- “AAMA Semiconductor 2021,” Pillsbury and AAMA (January 26, 2021).
- “Episode #23: Diversity in the Boardroom,"The Pillsbury Industry Insights Podcast (November 13, 2020).
- “A Conversation with Lip-Bu Tan,” Pillsbury and AAMA (July 8, 2020).
- “The Latest on CFIUS and Technology Export Controls: What Board Members and Investors Need to Know,” Pillsbury and AAMA (March 3, 2020).
- “CFIUS, Export Controls and National Security Implications for Emerging Technologies Event,” Pillsbury and AAMA (September 18, 2019).
- “Workshop for CEO Executives,” Pillsbury (September 28, 2018).
J.D., University of California, Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law, 1988
Associate Editor, Ecology Law Quarterly
B.A., University of California, Davis, 1985