Press Release 08.26.21
Alvin approached our case as if a loss would be as damaging to him as it would have been to my company. His due diligence and attention to detail throughout the preparation process, combined with his litigation style, was the key to our complete victory!
Alvin Dunn has substantial counseling and litigation experience in antitrust, consumer protection, and trade regulation matters, and substantial dispute resolution and litigation experience in a wide variety of complex commercial matters.
Alvin represents major trade associations and competitor collaborations in the health, insurance, and other fields with respect to antitrust and governance matters. He also counsels numerous clients in a wide variety of industries on all aspects of antitrust compliance. He has experience in all aspects of the Hart-Scott-Rodino premerger clearance process and has obtained antitrust approval for numerous transactions. He also has experience litigating antitrust cases involving Section 1, Section 2, and Robinson-Patman Act claims.
- Second chair in highly publicized deposition of Donald J. Trump, June 16, 2016; primary author of the brief that led to the court order compelling that deposition.
- Successful oral argument before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit establishing the right of the Cherokee Freedmen (descendants of former slaves held by the Cherokee Nation) to sue Cherokee Nation officers for depriving them of their citizenship rights in the Cherokee Nation, as part of pro bono representation spanning more than 13 years.
- Merger-related antitrust work for a very large private equity firm.
- Antitrust counseling for several major trade associations.
- Featured in a National Law Journal article in connection with representation of the Infectious Diseases Society of America, which was the target of a novel antitrust investigation by the Connecticut Attorney General into IDSA’s Lyme Disease guidelines. Investigation closed following settlement favorable to IDSA.
Honors & Awards
- Capital Pro Bono Honor Roll (2018)
- Representative Trade Association Publications
- Antitrust Guardrails for Association Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Initiatives, ASAE: The Center for Association Leadership, Authors: Alvin Dunn, Nicole Steinberg, 05/06/2021
- The Antitrust Risk You May Be Overlooking, American Society of Association Executives, Author: Alvin Dunn, 09/16/2019
- Associations and Antitrust: An Update After Osborn, American Society of Association Executives, Author: Alvin Dunn, 11/03/2017
- Certification and Accreditation Law Handbook (with six other Pillsbury co-authors), Third Edition. American Society of Association Executives, 2016.
- Reduce the Risk of Your Information-Sharing Program, American Society of Association Executives, Author: Alvin Dunn, 12/18/2013
- “Reduce the Risk of Your Information-Sharing Program.” Association Law & Policy, December 2013.
- “When the Process Server Calls: Nonparty Subpoenas” (with co-author Jefferson Glassie). Association Law & Policy, February 2010.
- “Antitrust Risks for Associations Setting Standards for Suppliers” (with Pillsbury co-author Jerald A. Jacobs). Association Management 53.8 (2001).
- “Minimizing Antitrust Concerns Relating to Supplier Memberships” (with Pillsbury co-author Jerald A. Jacobs). Association Management 52.10 (2000).
J.D., Harvard Law School, 1987
B.A., The University of Texas at Austin, 1984
highest honors, Phi Beta Kappa
District of Columbia
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
U.S. Supreme Court
Law Clerk for the Hon. Richard A. Gadbois Jr., U.S. District Court Judge for the Central District of California, 1987-1988