Awards & Rankings 05.17.18
Ed is an exceptional litigator who quickly develops a comprehensive understanding of the facts underlying a matter as well as a sophisticated, dynamic litigation strategy.
Ed Flanders, Managing Partner of the New York Office and former head of Pillsbury’s Litigation practice in New York, represents companies in large, complex commercial litigation and arbitration matters.
Ed’s practice includes claims arising out of construction contracts, insurance coverage disputes, manufacturing disputes, corporate governance, passenger railcar manufacturing contracts, long-term supply contracts and oil spills.
Served as lead trial counsel for the Board of Trustees of Athens College in three-week bench trial in dispute regarding governance of prestigious school in Greece and ownership of the school’s endowment. Obtained complete victory in 2016 resulting in the dismissal of all of the plaintiff’s clams and grant of client’s counterclaims.
Represented claimant in a $180 million dispute over a tax-sharing agreement between formerly affiliated companies. Conducted 15 days of hearings in early 2014, and obtained award in favor of client.
Served as co-lead trial counsel for a principal defendant in the MDL arising out of the Deepwater Horizon blowout and oil spill. Obtained dismissals and favorable settlements early in the proceedings.
- Representing New York University in $1 billion litigation arising out of insurer's failure to pay for losses stemming from Superstorm Sandy, and contractor’s failure to protect a construction site resulting in extensive water damage.
- Representing a major passenger railcar manufacturer in numerous disputes with purchasers including state transportation authorities and vendors.
- Represented respondents in a multimillion dollar dispute arising from the sale of stock in a medical device supply company. Claimant withdrew arbitration demand. Costs awarded in favor of our client.
- Represented Groth Vineyards & Winery in action commenced by a distributor for alleged improper termination. Successfully vacated TRO and defeated preliminary injunction motion. Plaintiff voluntarily discontinued action, paying defendant all amounts owed.
- Represented victims of sexual abuse against private school for permitting former football coach to abuse students. Defeated statute-of-limitations-based motion to dismiss using novel theory of equitable estoppel. Obtained favorable settlement.
- Represented Japanese trading company in AAA arbitration in multimillion dollar dispute involving purchase and sale of galvanized steel coils. The panel denied counterclaim and found in favor of our client.
- Submitted an amicus brief on behalf of the American Bankers Association supporting affirmance of a decision involving the limited duties of indenture trustees.
- Represented Petróleos de Venezuela, S.A. (PDVSA), the Venezuelan national oil company, and its subsidiary, BITOR, in a multibillion dollar dispute over the existence of an alleged long-term fuel supply contract. Obtained favorable settlement.
- Represented Deutsche Bank Trust Company Americas, which acted as the back-up servicer in an asset-backed securitization deal. We commenced a declaratory judgment action and the case settled soon thereafter on very favorable terms.
- Defended Bankers Trust in action commenced by a litigation trust on behalf of former noteholders seeking $1 billion in damages. Obtained summary judgment in Bankers Trust’s favor, dismissing all claims.
- Represented Bankers Trustee in action commenced by guarantor of certain defaulted notes, alleging a breach of duties that allegedly resulted in plaintiff’s losses. Obtained summary judgment in Bankers Trustee’s favor.
- Represented of a Venezuelan engineering firm in an ICC arbitration in connection with the construction of a petroleum by-products handling facility being built in Venezuela. Obtained award in favor of client.
- Represented Bombardier Transportation in connection with a successful bid protest against the Southern California Regional Rail Authority with respect to a commuter rail car procurement.
- Represented Bombardier Transportation in connection with its $200 million contract claim against Amtrak regarding the construction of the Northeast Corridor High-Speed Train System. Obtained favorable settlement.
- “#OMG! The Inevitable Intersection of Social Media and Litigation,” Pillsbury CLE Marathon, February 2013.
- “Proven Strategies for Controlling the Cost of Review in a Defensible Manner” and “Global Electronic Discovery: Issues and Conflicts,” IQPC Conference (Toronto), July 2010.
- “Controlling the Rising Costs of Electronic Discovery in the U.S.,” Japan Society Corporate Program, June 2008.
J.D., Brooklyn Law School, 1989
B.S., State University of New York, Cortland, 1981
U.S. District Court for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
U.S. Courts of Appeals, 2nd, 5th, 7th and 11th Circuits
U.S. Supreme Court