Awards & Rankings 06.01.22
Described by one source as a ‘first-class trial lawyer’ who ‘regularly defends international and domestic clients in cross-border investigations and litigation….’ Clients note that he is a ‘steady hand’ on complex regulatory matters.
Mark Hellerer, former co-leader of Pillsbury’s Corporate Investigations & White Collar Defense team, has more than 30 years of experience litigating international commercial disputes, white collar criminal matters and regulatory enforcement actions.
Mark represents individuals and corporations in criminal and regulatory enforcement matters; conducts internal investigations; advises on corporate compliance; and prosecutes and defends civil RICO, fraud and business tort claims. He regularly handles civil, administrative and criminal matters involving antitrust, banking, environmental claims, the False Claims Act, FCPA and FATCA, money laundering and securities fraud allegations. As a federal prosecutor in the Southern District of New York, Mark headed the Major Crimes Unit.
- Representing multiple Swiss banks in the investigation of U.S. taxpayer accounts and negotiation of resolutions with the Department of Justice in the historic U.S.-Swiss Tax Non-Prosecution Program.
- Represented multiple international financial institutions in trade sanctions and anti-money laundering investigations.
- Represented multiple companies in criminal antitrust investigations, including a major international electronics company in a Department of Justice liquid crystal display cartel investigation.
- Represent international financial institution in DOJ municipal derivatives investigation.
- Represented international companies in DOJ investigation of foreign currency exchange.
- Represented international companies in DOJ cartel investigations of carbon fiber, magnetic iron oxide and thermal paper.
- Represented senior executive in DOJ rubber chemicals cartel investigation
- Represented senior executive in DOJ art auction dealer investigation.
- Represent executives in DOJ automotive parts investigation
- OFAC/International Trade Sanctions
- Represented multiple international financial institutions in the UK and the Netherlands in various DOJ investigations.
- Represented European senior executive in DOJ international investigation.
- Represented multiple executives of Australian financial institution in DOJ international investigation.
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act
- Represented major international energy company in DOJ investigation in Middle East.
- Represented major international energy company in investigation involving Latin America.
- Represented international equipment company in investigation in Middle East
- Represent major international communications company in compliance development.
- Represented major international company in investigation in far East.
- Financial Institutions, Bank Secrecy Act, Forfeiture
- Represented major international financial institution in investigation of alleged obstruction by senior executive.
- Represented major international financial institution in DOJ forfeiture action.
- Represented financial institution in grand jury investigation of alleged management fraud.
- Represented major financial institution in investigation of alleged senior mismanagement of subsidiary fraud.
- False Claims Act
- Represented major international transportation company in dismissal of whistleblower claims in precedent-setting decision by DC Court of Appeals.
- Represented senior executive in criminal FCA action.
- Securities Enforcement Cases (Firms)
- Represented public U.S. company in SEC investigation of improper accounting and earnings reports.
- Represented hedge fund and senior managers in SEC investigation of alleged insider trading.
- Represent an international financial institution in SEC and DOJ investigations into municipal securities industry.
- Represented brokerage firm and principal in investigation by U.S. Attorney’s Office, SEC and NYSE of alleged improper floor broker trading activities.
- Represented brokerage firm and officers in SEC investigation of alleged fraudulent trading of municipal bonds.
- Represented major financial institution in SEC investigation of alleged improper trading of asset-backed securities.
- Represented international financial institution in multiple SEC investigations and subpoena compliance.
- Represented special committee of major financial institution in investigation of improper trading practices of its securities subsidiary.
- Securities Enforcement Cases (Individuals)
- Represent research analyst at major international investment firm in insider trading investigation.
- Represent hedge fund manager in insider trading investigation.
- Represented the former CEO of an international reinsurance company in SEC investigation and class action suits involving allegations of securities law violations.
- Represented investor in SEC investigation of alleged improper floor broker trading activities.
- Represented officers of international financial institution in federal criminal investigation of alleged municipal bond yield-burning activities.
- Represented research analysts of international financial institution in SEC investigation of alleged insider trading.
- Represented senior associate in major U.S. law firm in federal criminal and SEC proceedings regarding insider trading.
- Represented public company controller in SEC investigation of alleged accounting fraud.
- Represented in-house counsel in SEC investigation of alleged accounting fraud.
- Attorney General Enforcement Actions
- Represented senior executive of major insurance company in fraud investigation and civil settlement.
- Represented senior executive of major insurance company in fraud investigation
- Represented senior executive of major financial institution in Madoff-related fraud investigation.
- Represented drugstore chain in fraud investigation.
- Environmental and Related Actions
- Represented major electric utility company in multiple criminal environmental investigations.
- Represented major international airline manufacturer in DOJ investigation of airplane crash.
- Advised multiple companies on federal criminal investigations.
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York Prosecutions
- Prosecuted a number of notable RICO and fraud cases, including the conviction of Anthony “Fat Tony” Salerno and numerous associates.
- Participated in government proceedings against Leona Helmsley, Ferdinand Marcos and the International Brotherhood of Teamsters.
- Supervised 20 Major Crimes Unit prosecutors in complex investigations and prosecutions of a wide variety of federal law violations.
- Recognized by Chambers USA; Best Lawyers (published by BL Rankings LLC) in Criminal Defense: General Practice, Criminal Defense: White-Collar (2007 – 2022) and named Lawyer of the Year in Criminal Defense: General Practice – New York (2021); The Legal 500 U.S. (2013 – 2021); Who’s Who Legal and Super Lawyers (2007 – present).
- Received the Department of Justice’s “John Marshall Award for Outstanding Trial Performance” and the “Director’s Award for Superior Performance” during his nine-year career as a federal prosecutor.
- Speaks, participates in panel discussions and authors articles on white collar defense and regulatory enforcement topics.
- Chairman, New York City Water Board 1995 – 2004
- American Bar Association (Litigation, White Collar Crime Subcommittee)
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York (Stimson Medal Committee 1992 – present, Judiciary Committee 1985 – 88, Federal Courts Committee 1991 – 1994)
- Federal Bar Council
- New York Council of Criminal Defense Lawyers
J.D., University at Buffalo Law School
B.A., Fordham University
Certificate, Institut d'Etudes Politiques de Paris
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York
Clerk to Chief Judge John T. Curtin, U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York