Bill Atkins is the leader of the law firm’s Intellectual Property Litigation team and is located in the Northern Virginia office. He has been lead counsel in over 100 intellectual property litigations during his 23 years with the firm, and is currently active in abbreviated new drug application ("ANDA") and Paragraph IV work. He is a registered patent attorney and a trial attorney who has experience winning jury verdicts and decisions on both sides of the courtroom. Some of his victories include:
- Getting two university employees added as co-inventors on NIH-owned cancer drug patents on Velcade® which have had annual worldwide sales of $2B+;
- Federal Circuit reversal of a district court's summary judgment finding of non-infringement on five patents for a very small company;
- Winning a critical plaintiff jury verdict of infringement against our client's major competitor in the Eastern District of Virginia;
- Winning a defense jury verdict for a client in defense of $200M+ patent infringement and related allegations, eventually winning $1M+ in attorney’s fees; and
- Representing the inventor of the Taxol® formulation process and separately a co-inventor of a follow-on drug to Allegra® (fexofenadine).
He has extensive experience in patent, trademark, trade secret, Lanham Act, unfair competition and copyright matters. Mr. Atkins has been in trial and appellate courts, the International Trade Commission (ITC), arbitrations, mediations, and before the United States Patent and Trademark Office many times. Mr. Atkins takes pride in creating the best solution for each client's situation, from both a legal and business perspective; whether the client is large or small and the IP at issue is a patent, trademark, copyright, trade secret, or something else.
Mr. Atkins is a Co-Editor of BNA’s Patent Litigation Strategies Handbook and is writing another book on the Patent Trial and Appeal Board, which should be published later this year.
He has been the President of the Bar Association of the District of Columbia. (2005-2006) and that Bar's Foundation (2007-2009). He has been a member of the ABA's House of Delegates, and chaired many bar committees.
Mr. Atkins was co-leader of the firm's IP section, Managing Partner of the Northern Virginia office, and a member of the firm's Compensation Committee. He is currently a member of Pillsbury’s Managing Board.
- Chambers USA, Intellectual Property—Virginia (2007-2015)
- Best Lawyers in America, Litigation – Intellectual Property, Litigation – Patent, Patent Law (5 years)
- Legal 500 US, Intellectual Property (2011)
- LexisNexis, AV Preeminent Rated Lawyer (2013)
- Managing Intellectual Property, IP Stars (2013-2014)
- Super Lawyers (2006-2009; 2011-2013)
Bar Association of the District of Columbia, District of Columbia Bar, Maryland Bar Association, Virginia Bar Association, American Bar Association, Giles S. Rich Inns of Court, The Barrister's Club of Washington, DC, Litigation Counsel of America
U.S. Supreme Court; U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Fourth, Federal, District of Columbia, and Armed Forces Circuits; U.S. District Courts for the Districts of Maryland, District of Columbia, the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia, and various other districts; International Trade Commission
Editor-in-Chief, University of Baltimore Law Forum