Press Release 08.15.17
A great lawyer with a niche insurance practice, and is probably the best in the USA.
Pillsbury Litigation partner and Firm Chair David Dekker is recognized as one of the leading construction lawyers in the U.S., and was identified by BTI as among the “most valuable” practitioners to corporate counsel worldwide, in any practice area.
Dave has extensive experience in all phases of civil litigation and dispute resolution. He has achieved winning results in complex insurance coverage, construction and other commercial disputes, both at trial and on appeal. Beyond the courtroom, he routinely advises clients on insurance and risk management issues, corporate risk transfer programs, individual projects and other nonlitigation matters.
Handles complex insurance coverage claims arising from construction projects or damage to business operations, including general liability, builder's risk, professional, pollution, commercial property, EPL, and business interruption, as well as claims involving subcontractor default insurance and payment and performance bonds.
Counsels clients concerning crisis management, particularly in the face of catastrophic occurrences arising from construction projects or operating businesses.
Advises on risk management programs for numerous companies on Engineering News Record's list of the country's 100 largest contractors, as well as real estate developers, private equity funds, utilities, engineering firms and homebuilders.
Pillsbury’s Firm Chair since January 1, 2017, and member of its managing Board since 2014.
On the team that earned the "2016 Construction Law Firm of the Year" and the “2017 Construction Litigation Law Firm of the Year” distinctions from US News & World Report.
Among The Legal 500’s eight leading Real Estate and Construction practitioners in the country in 2010.
- Honors & Awards
- Who's Who Legal, Construction (2017)
- Best Lawyers in America, Lawyer of the Year, Construction Law—Washington, DC (2016)
- Chambers USA, Construction, Tier 1—DC (2007-2017)
- Best Lawyers in America, Construction Law, Litigation – Construction (2010-2018)
- The Legal 500 U.S., Construction (2011, 2013-2016)
- BTI Client Service MVP (2013), BTI Client Service All-Star (2013, 2015)
- PLC Which Lawyer?, Construction—DC
- Guide to the World's Leading Construction Litigation Lawyers, Euromoney/Legal Media Group
- Washington, DC's Best Lawyers, The Washington Post
- Super Lawyers
- Fellow, American College of Coverage and Extracontractual Counsel
J.D., Cornell Law School, 1981
B.A., Denison University, 1978
District of Columbia
United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
United States District Court for the District of Columbia
United States District Court for the District of Maryland