Iris Karaman advises clients on all aspects of international trade law and policy.
Iris works with clients in a wide range of industries, including financial institutions, technology, aviation, shipping and defense, and helps them understand and comply with complex international laws and regulations.
Iris advises on the full range of international trade compliance matters, including EU and UK sanctions, export controls and customs. She has successfully guided clients in obtaining foreign direct investment (FDI) clearance and advised on other national security matters. Iris has broad experience in trade policy matters, including trade agreements and World Trade Organisation (WTO) matters, and also advises clients across a number of other regulatory areas, including product regulatory compliance and supply chain due diligence.
- Advising multiple clients on compliance with international sanctions regimes (including against Russia and Belarus) and export controls.
- Assisting multiple clients with obtaining sanctions and export control licenses and submitting voluntary disclosures of violations to relevant regulators.
- Conducting a global risk assessment on sanctions and trade/export control compliance for a large multinational company, and assisting with the implementation of a compliance uplift program.*
- Representing a manufacturer of consumer products in a UK customs classification challenge at the First-Tier Tax Tribunal.*
- Advising various clients on obtaining foreign direct investment review clearance in the EU, including in relation to acquisitions in the pharmaceutical and data center industries.*
- Advising a government on an ongoing basis on the negotiation of various trade agreements.*
- Advising a global logistics company in a customs and excise duty investigation conducted by EU member states.*
- Advising a global pharmaceutical company on EU and UK customs duties and determination of customs classification and origin.*
*Matter handled prior to joining the firm.
- Prior to joining Pillsbury, Iris was an international trade and investment associate in the London office of a global law firm.
- Previously, Iris gained professional experience in international trade law and trade controls working at the United Nations and other international and regional inter-governmental organizations. She also advised a government on the negotiation of various trade agreements.
Legal Practice Course, BPP Law School, 2018
Graduate Diploma, Law, BPP Law School, 2017
M.Phil., Development Studies (Economics), University of Cambridge, 2016
B.A., Politics, Philosophy and Economics, University of Warwick, 2015
With first class honours
England and Wales