Press Release 03.30.22
Pillsbury M&A, Emerging Growth & Venture Capital partner Steve Kaplan guides entrepreneurs from a wide industry spectrum through every phase of building, growing, operating and eventually selling successful businesses.
From entity formation and early-stage capital raises through eventual sale or other liquidity event, Steve counsels clients on the complex legal issues they encounter throughout the business life cycle. He advises on convertible debt and equity financings, capital formation strategy, corporate governance, employment and compensation matters, technology licensing and transfer, and shareholder issues. Steve has extensive M&A experience representing buyers and sellers in multifaceted transactions, including stock sales, mergers, spinoffs, asset sales and recapitalizations.
- Represented technology and emerging growth clients, and venture capitalists, in numerous convertible debt and equity financings, ranging from small friends-and-family and angel investor rounds to nine-figure financings with ten-figure valuations.
- Represented buyers and sellers in M&A sales and acquisitions, spinoffs and restructurings, ranging from small bolt-on acquisitions for venture capital-backed technology companies to nearly billion-dollar exits.
- Advises clients from a range of industries, including enterprise software, web services, cybersecurity, intelligence and defense, e-commerce, social media, food and beverage, life sciences, energy, information technology and government contracting.
- Recognized by Chambers USA in Corporate/M&A (2016 - 2021); Recognized by The Legal 500 U.S. in M&A: Middle-Market (2017-2019); Recognized by Best Lawyers (published by BL Rankings LLC) in Corporate Law and Securities Regulation (2019 - 2022); Received an “Emerging Leader Award” from M&A Advisor (2016); Named to Washingtonian magazine’s prestigious Tech Titans list (2017 - 2018); Designated a Rising Star by the National Law Journal (2017).
- Regular speaker on legal issues and fundraising for startups at universities and startup-focused events in the DC area.
J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 2005
John M. Olin Scholar of Law and Economics
B.A., University of Virginia, 2002
with distinction, Phi Beta Kappa
District of Columbia