Press Release 12.07.22
Michael Heuga’s practice is concentrated on technology and commercial transactions, in particular licensing, intellectual property and marketing-related matters.
Michael has extensive experience negotiating and drafting agreements involving complex technology and intellectual property licenses, information technology procurement, product terms and conditions of sale, service provider engagements, asset acquisitions and divestitures, and distributor matters. He also counsels on a range of issues in commercial activities, including intellectual property considerations, and compliance with advertising, privacy, consumer protection and trade regulation laws. Michael also routinely assists clients with their website and mobile app terms and privacy policies.
Michael works with clients ranging from startups to well-established Fortune 500 companies, as well as public entities in California. He advises clients in a variety of industries, including energy, consumer retail, restaurant, advertising and marketing, software, hardware and other technologies.
- Michael recently represented a well-established energy technology company on the negotiation of a multiparty research collaboration on technology pertinent to the medical diagnostic imaging industry. The matter involved negotiating with multiple parties (including the U.S. Department of Energy, a university and several corporate participants) and drafting a series of agreements addressing a wide range of commercial issues, such as foreground intellectual property ownership, background and foreground technology cross-licenses, commercialization rights and obligations, funding and royalty terms, indemnities and limitations of liability.
- Michael also recently led the legal team assisting a publicly traded restaurant chain on the update of its customer loyalty program. The effort included drafting and advising on all associated terms and conditions, marketing communications and consumer protection and privacy law considerations.
- Michael also recently advised a major multimedia mass media company on the intellectual property and commercial law considerations for the client’s potential investment in an online technology startup. The project involved drafting an execution-ready technology development and licensing agreement on an expedited basis to align with the investment’s timing.
- Named an Acrita Star in Acritas (part of the Thompson Reuters) annual General Counsel Survey (2021)
- Spent three years in public accounting with Ernst & Young in Silicon Valley before attending law school; a certified public accountant in California (inactive).
- American Bar Association
- San Francisco Bar Association
J.D., University of California, Los Angeles, School of Law, 1999
Order of the Coif, UCLA Law Review
B.A., University of California, Berkeley, 1992
Clerk for the Hon. Vaughn R. Walker, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, 2000-2001