Nuclear Export Controls
International Trade Obstacles to Fukushima Recovery
ASEAN: The Next Nuclear Powerhouse?
Elina Teplinsky is an associate in the law firm's Energy practice and is located in the Washington, DC office. She focuses on international nuclear energy matters, including advice to U.S. and foreign clients with a variety of regulatory and transactional issues.
Ms. Teplinsky concentrates on nuclear trade issues, including supplier country nuclear export controls, bilateral nuclear cooperation agreements including U.S. 123 Agreements, domestic and international nuclear liability matters and nuclear fuel procurement. She regularly secures export authorizations on behalf of companies seeking to export of sensitive nuclear technology and equipment. She has developed nuclear export compliance programs, including training programs, for many major U.S. and foreign nuclear utilities, engineering and consulting firms. Ms. Teplinsky also represents clients before the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) in addressing violations of nuclear export control regulations and for taking corrective action. She drafted comments on behalf of several clients, including an Ad Hoc Utility Group (AHUG), in response to the DOE’s proposed amendments in 2011 to its 10 C.F.R. Part 810 rules.
Ms. Teplinsky regularly advises foreign governments and government-owned utilities on various aspects of developing domestic nuclear power programs, including recommendations regarding compliance with obligations under international conventions, formation of nuclear legal and regulatory regimes and drafting of domestic nuclear legislation.
Ms. Teplinsky is currently advising a number of entities seeking to deploy Small Modular Reactors (SMRs). She has also advised companies looking to invest in nuclear power projects on commercial and regulatory issues, including, for U.S. projects, Foreign Ownership, Control and Influence (FOCI) issues, Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) issues and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) compliance. Her practice also includes advice on nuclear power plant licensing matters, as well as assistance with employee concerns and safety culture issues.
Ms. Teplinsky was deeply involved in issues relating to the Department of Energy (DOE) Loan Guarantee Program under the Energy Policy Act of 2005. She assisted a major utility with filing a DOE loan guarantee application for a new nuclear project and assisted two major U.S. companies in filing DOE loan guarantee applications for large-scale solar projects.
- DC 30 Under 30 Award, Legal Bisnow (2008)
American Bar Association; Virginia State Bar Association; Maryland State Bar Association
- “New Nuclear Procurement: Evolution of Project Structures and Contracting Mechanisms,” presented with Li Zhang at the Asia Nuclear Business Platform, Hong Kong, February 20, 2013
- “Latest Trends and Developments for Small Scale Nuclear Reactors,” Synergy’s 4th Nuclear Power Asia 2013 Conference, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, January 15-16, 2013
- “Nuclear Export Controls 101,” November 29, 2012. Presented at the 4th Annual Pillsbury-NEI Export Controls for the Nuclear Renaissance: Hot Button Issues and New Developments, Washington, DC.
- “Harnessing the International Nuclear Market for National Nuclear Success,” September 13, 2012. Presented at the World Nuclear Association’s 37th Annual Symposium, London, United Kingdom.
- “Complying with Restrictions on Foreign, Dual and Third Country Nationals and Visitors,” March 27, 2012. Presented at the American Conference Institute’s 2nd National Advanced Summit on Complying with Nuclear Export Controls, Washington, DC.
- "Nuclear Project Risk Profile and Mitigation," Synergy's 3rd Nuclear Power Asia 2012 Conference, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, January 31 – February 1, 2012
- “Key Issues in Nuclear Export Controls,” December 8, 2011. Presented at the 3rd Annual Pillsbury-NEI Export Controls for the Nuclear Renaissance: Hot Button Issues and New Developments, Washington, DC.
- “Global Perspective on Nuclear Power Reactors: Globalization of the Nuclear Industry, Trends and Related Legal Issues,” May 9, 2011. Presented at the 2011 North American Young Generation in Nuclear (NA-YGN) Annual Conference, Washington, DC.
- "Nuclear Export Controls," March 15, 2011. Two-Part Series Webinar hosted by the American Bar Association Section of International Law, Washington, DC.
- "Nuclear Export Controls 101," November 2010. Presented at the 2nd Annual Pillsbury-NEI Export Controls for the Nuclear Renaissance: Hot Button Issues and New Developments, Washington, DC.
- "Import/Export Regulation of Nuclear Fuel and Related Technology," July 2010. Presented at the Nuclear Energy Institute Nuclear Fuel Supply Forum.
- "DOE's Part 810 Regulations," November 2009. Presented at the Pillsbury-NEI Export Controls for the Nuclear Renaissance: Hot Button Issues and New Developments, Washington, DC.
- "Controlling the Trade in E= mc2: Export Controls at the Department of Energy and the Nuclear Regulatory Commission," December 2009. Presented at the Practising Law Institute Coping with U.S. Export Controls 2009, Washington, DC.
- "Nuclear Export Controls: DOE Part 810 Regulations," November 2008. Presented at the Department of Energy Contractor Attorneys' Association (DOECAA) 2008 Fall Conference, Chicago, Illinois.